For some reason, Emerson has never appealed to me.

I admit that I have been spoiled by the F&F of many other factory and studio knives - Reeve and Kershaw in particular - but that is their design philosophy, not Emerson's. ...

I agree with this. Spotless F&F just isn't part of Emerson's philosophy. It's simple as that, but if spotless F&F is what you are looking for specifically, then the other brands are for you. I'm 100% happy with Emersom knives, I have 7 of them.
...and no I'm not a brainwashed fanboi, I happen to be very critical of EKI on other things.

Last edited:
Sometimes it is difficult for those of us who love knives to explain why, or why a certain knife more than others does it for us. My wife does not understand my affliction at all and sees no value to my collection but it gives me great joy and I am hard pressed to explain it to her. I have close to 200 knives and that includes ZT, Spyderco, Lone Wolf, Benchmade, and Emerson among others and I am expecting delivery of a new Chris Reeve, ZT and Emerson tomorrow. I can tell you that I love them all and have never let one go, but certain ones always find their way into my pocket and it is hard to explain why. The way it rides in the pocket?, how cool it looks or how good it feels in the hand?, how the blade snaps open?, or how well it cuts the things I need to cut? Or maybe just a good balance of all these things. Although I do see some seemingly good singular points made in this tread, the bottom line is that all of the things I expect from a knife seem to be contained in the Emerson knives that I own and I guess for that reason they are the ones that I seem to carry the most. If you have a knife or knives that you love for whatever reason then I am happy for you and I will not question the price you paid or what I perceive to be the quality of your choice.

Ok, I've been reading through this thread with the intention of doing research prior to the "buy or not buy" decision on an Emerson Super Commander. I'm not rich at all, so $250 is a bit steep for me, especially for a folder I intend on using. I've also bought $250 knives in the past and still like them but can't vouch for value in terms of price. Then someone I know points out that if the blade shape and 154CM isn't a "must" (which they are not), then I should get a CS Recon 1 (either clip point or tanto). I did a good comparison of both. CS Recon 1 has the same length, similar handle ergos, weighs less, lesser quality steel but a tri-ad lock system which is arguably stronger than the liner lock, wave-less and around $60. I'll probably grind out the tanto to a drop point and move on. That being said, if money was no issue or I found a smoking deal, I still might try it out in the future.

Anyways I'm not hating on the knife or the company, but merely proposing an alternative and lesser expensive solution to someone with a budget like me. EKI won't care, they'll still get the same business without me (no sarcasm intended).

Cold_Steel_recon_knife_tanto_350.jpg

28af44d8776a8e0271a7d82a2172.jpg

Last edited:
It's true that Emerson knives are all going to sell whether you or I buy them, or not. The question that remains then is how well Emerson or other products will serve your needs.

I own some cold steel products. In fact, I've been dragging an SRK around with me for years. My personal choice in a folding knife, however, is Emerson, based on my own experiences and history with Emerson products. I really don't think that in comparison, cold steel is any bargain, even at the lesser price.

Price isn't really the issue, if your knife is something on which you may depend.

I just bought a Mini-Commander for ninety bucks. it's nearly new (it was used), but will do just fine. Personally, if given a choice between a new cold steel product and a used Emerson for the price point, I'd go with the Emerson.

Good point. If I saw a used Super Commander for $60 bucks, I'd jump at it. I'd probably jump at it up to.. $140. But that's the line based on my budget right now.

But you say "Price isn't really the issue, if your knife is something on which you may depend." I totally disagree with that. I think dependency and price are not mutually inclusive of each other. It's certainly not a linear equation. Take guns for example. Glocks are certainly not in the expensive category, but are they less reliable than a Les Baer or Ed Brown 1911? The knife world isn't much different. You can certainly get decent quality and highly dependable knives at a medium price point. 154CM isn't the toughest out there, liner locks aren't the toughest out there. Just because a $250 knife hasn't failed someone doesn't mean that there aren't knives out there just as dependable at a lower price point.

I did some extra research and found a thread where Ernest Emerson depended his pricing based on the cost of production and keeping 100% of the business in the US. That's cool, and I like that. If two companies (one part foreign, the other all USA) offered a similar product, I don't mind paying a bit extra for the USA one, just to support our economy and jobs. But to me, I can't pay it without digging into other parts of my budget. Buck USA, Entrek and other companies still manage to stay competitive in pricing don't they? Yes, I know they're bigger companies, and their business models likely vary.

It's true that Emerson knives are all going to sell whether you or I buy them, or not. The question that remains then is how well Emerson or other products will serve your needs.

I own some cold steel products. In fact, I've been dragging an SRK around with me for years. My personal choice in a folding knife, however, is Emerson, based on my own experiences and history with Emerson products. I really don't think that in comparison, cold steel is any bargain, even at the lesser price.

Price isn't really the issue, if your knife is something on which you may depend.

I just bought a Mini-Commander for ninety bucks. it's nearly new (it was used), but will do just fine. Personally, if given a choice between a new cold steel product and a used Emerson for the price point, I'd go with the Emerson.

Last edited:
I own one Emerson. It's a Commander Karambit, that I bought almost 2 years ago.

Is it my favorite knife? No.
Is it over priced for what you get? Yes.
Is it a tough knife? Yes.
Is the fit and finish equal to the price point? No.

It is a good knife for what it is, but you definitely pay for the brand and specific design points like the wave or the karambit etc. I personally, don't like the chisel grind edge for edc now that I have used one for a length of time. It just doesn't cut straight for 95% of the tasks you need it for.

Now, with all that being said. If I was working in a war zone like Iraq or Afghanistan, I would definitely keep this thing tucked away in my pocket as a last ditch self defense weapon. But I wouldn't bother dulling it for daily tasks... My Para 2 would do all that stuff.

Just my opinion.

I think dependency and price are not mutually inclusive of each other. It's certainly not a linear equation. Take guns for example. Glocks are certainly not in the expensive category, but are they less reliable than a Les Baer or Ed Brown 1911? The knife world isn't much different.

There's also no comparison between a 1911 and a Glock. Two different weapon systems, two different manual of arms. Very different construction. The grip angles are different. If you like a Glock, go get it. If you find it's the weapon for you, then carry it, shoot it, learn it. If you don't understand the value or point of a Baer or Brown, then there's no reason for you to carry one. In the meantime, Baer and Brown will continue to sell every weapon they build, because other buyers do understand and are willing to pay the price.

I learned about buying cheap tools a long time ago. Pay enough, buy once, and have a tool on which you can depend. Then again, I take my tools into places where I have to depend on them.
154CM isn't the toughest out there, liner locks aren't the toughest out there.

I don't need a knife that's made of diamonds. Just one that works.

You can certainly get decent quality and highly dependable knives at a medium price point.

Perhaps, perhaps not. If that's what floats your boat and if that's the measure of your life worth, then spend accordingly. Again, you're not taking away from Emersons business, and you're not hurting anyone or helping anyone; it's up to you. So far as I'm concerned, the highly dependable and decent quality knives at the medium price point are the Emersons.
Just because a $250 knife hasn't failed someone doesn't mean that there aren't knives out there just as dependable at a lower price point.

The cost is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it works. It's all that's relevant, in fact. Cost is always balanced against value. I value my life. The cost is minor when choosing something upon which my life may depend, whether it's pushing someone back at knifepoint, or cutting my way out of something. The price I'm willing to pay for that is commensurate with the trust I'm willing to place in the tool I buy. That aside, none of the Emersons I've bought are close to two hundred fifty dollars, which makes them an even greater value.

Let's not forget, it's not a nuclear weapon. It's a pocket knife.

I didn't buy any of my knives based on their "price point," and I didn't buy any of them based on what someone else said. I bought them to try them, and when they worked and performed as advertised and met my needs and expectations, and then exceeded them, I bought more. I do the same with firearms.
Now, with all that being said. If I was working in a war zone like Iraq or Afghanistan, I would definitely keep this thing tucked away in my pocket as a last ditch self defense weapon.

My view, having been in both places and still working regularly in one of them, is different. Certainly the Emerson is there as a last ditch weapon, but it's also an every day use tool, too. I like my Spyderco Militaries and Paramilitaries for daily abusers and cutters, and I use them. I like my Emersons more.
It is a good knife for what it is, but you definitely pay for the brand and specific design points like the wave or the karambit etc.

I don't pay for the brand. Just the tool.

For some reason, Emerson has the unique ability to fly below the radar and go unnoticed. Which is not a good thing for a maker who wants to sell knives. I have more than my fair share of knives, and have in my arsenal a fair sampling of just about everything it seems. But no Emersons. No real reason. I just don't see the point. From my perspective, they don't stand out in terms of utility, style, fit and finish, price, quality or any other parameter that makes me want one. And they are spendy for a knife that doesn't seem to fare well in the fit and finish department.

I may get one some day just to form my own opinion. But I'm in no hurry.

For some reason, Emerson has the unique ability to fly below the radar and go unnoticed.

I wouldn't say that a company that sells EVERY single knife it makes, and has waiting lists for certain models, is going "unnoticed".....

@sns3guppy

Ok, so you're rich.. I get it. In that case, your statement that price is irrelevant holds true to you. It's not a global truth, just yours. And so is mine. I have a budget, and like most Americans, I'm not rich. You seem like you'd pay $50,000.00 for any Emerson and would say it's worth it because you find it dependable. If you disagree with that, then price is relevant. It's simply that your threshold for the maximum you'd pay is much higher than mine.

You say you didn't buy any of your knives on their "price point". Then you also say "if given a choice between a new cold steel product and a used Emerson for the price point, I'd go with the Emerson."
Now that's a contradiction right there. Just because I think the Emerson Super Commander is over priced doesn't mean I'm wrong because my budget and what I consider good value isn't aligned with your experience and wallet. I never said they're not dependable and I never said they suck. I only said they're too damn expensive. Get over it. $250 for a liner lock, 154CM, decent fit and finish knife is too expensive to me, no matter where it's made and how many waves it has. Why don't you just help me out and sell me an Emerson Super Commander for $100?

@sns3guppy

Ok, so you're rich.. I get it. In that case, your statement that price is irrelevant holds true to you. It's not a global truth, just yours. And so is mine. I have a budget, and like most Americans, I'm not rich. You seem like you'd pay $50,000.00 for any Emerson and would say it's worth it because you find it dependable. If you disagree with that, then price is relevant. It's simply that your threshold for the maximum you'd pay is much higher than mine.

You say you didn't buy any of your knives on their "price point". Then you also say "if given a choice between a new cold steel product and a used Emerson for the price point, I'd go with the Emerson."
Now that's a contradiction right there. Just because I think the Emerson Super Commander is over priced doesn't mean I'm wrong because my budget and what I consider good value isn't aligned with your experience and wallet. I never said they're not dependable and I never said they suck. I only said they're too damn expensive. Get over it. $250 for a liner lock, 154CM, decent fit and finish knife is too expensive to me, no matter where it's made and how many waves it has. Why don't you just help me out and sell me an Emerson Super Commander for $100?

200$ can get you a USA-made Ti framelock with at least an S30V blade these days. Benchmade, Kershaw/ZT, to name a few.

Ok, so you're rich.. I get it.

No, you don't get it. I'm not rich. Not close, at all.

It's also irrelevant. My life worth something. Yours?

You seem like you'd pay $50,000.00 for any Emerson and would say it's worth it because you find it dependable.

I seem like that? I said something like that? I have that amount of money? No to all. Put words in your own mouth, if you can. You're offended by the fact that good tools cost money? You're offended by the concept that one buys well and pays once, or buys poorly and pays twice? That's a shame. You're offended by reality.

It's simply that your threshold for the maximum you'd pay is much higher than mine.

I said nothing of the threshold for which I'd pay, nor did I discuss a minimum or maximum. You did that, didn't you? You really have no idea how much I'd pay.

It's considerably less than retail, thanks.

Now that's a contradiction right there.

No, you "quoted" something I didn't say. I did not say I didn't buy Emerson knives on their "price point." I said I haven't paid two hundred fifty dollars for an Emerson knife, or close to it. I did say that I'd prefer a used Emerson over a new Cold Steel, because it still a better value; that's not contradictory at all. Do you understand the concept?

Just because I think the Emerson Super Commander is over priced doesn't mean I'm wrong because my budget and what I consider good value isn't aligned with your experience and wallet. I never said they're not dependable and I never said they suck. I only said they're too damn expensive. Get over it.

There's nothing to get over. I don't own a super commander, though if I did I'm quite certain I wouldn't pay (nor would I need to pay) retail. I get it; too expensive; your life isn't worth that much. You've made that much clear, already. Move on.

Why don't you just help me out and sell me an Emerson Super Commander for $100?

Ah, the entitlement argument. Help you out? No one can help you. Your mind is made up. I just found a good Emerson product that cost ninety dollars, shipped. Can you not find your own? Must others do your leg work for you? Lift a finger to help yourself, then check back.

Last edited:
@sns3guppy

Ok, so you bought an Emerson for $90 (obviously lower than the market value), and like it because of the value you got it for. We get it. SHUT THE F*CK UP. I was being sarcastic; I don't want your sh*tty help. I agree with Apec. 200$ can get you a USA-made Ti framelock with at least an S30V blade these days. Benchmade, Kershaw/ZT, to name a few.

Yes, you obviously would buy a $5,000 dildo from Emerson if he sold it, and would ride it all day. You're the one talking about how price is irrelvant, and start boasting about the great value you got from $90. What a joke you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so you bought an Emerson for $90 (obviously lower than the market value), and like it because of the value you got it for. We get it. SHUT THE F*CK UP. I was being sarcastic; I don't want your sh*tty help. I agree with Apec. 200$ can get you a USA-made Ti framelock with at least an S30V blade these days. Benchmade, Kershaw/ZT, to name a few.

Yes, you obviously would buy a $5,000 dildo from Emerson if he sold it, and would ride it all day. You're the one talking about how price is irrelvant, and start boasting about the great value you got from $90. What a joke you are.

Wow. How old are you? We may have discovered the reason you can't afford a knife, or find your own. You need to be old enough to have a job. Do your parents know you want a knife?

Here's a video clip of a high quality Cold Steel sword breaking, by the way. It's a five hundred fifty dollar sword from Cold Steel. Enjoy:

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/cold-steel-blade

There is a lot of reasonable discussion in this thread but a few posts are way out of line with the respect Bladeforums expects you to show each other. The forums are here to express serious opinions, and that can mean disagreements.

There is no need for cursing each other. Once you find yourself getting that heated, back off, drop the subject, come back later and discuss the knives, not each other.

I like Emersons, especially the fact they are 100% US Made. I have carried my Emerson CQC 7 everyday for the past year, kicking out my spydercos and benchmades out of my pocket (well at least my right pocket. they ride in the other pocket now!). I will be buying more Emersons. With that said I believe the Cold Steel new Recon 1 is a great knife and very tough. Theres others out there that are "tough" knives. Most of them don't feature the wave which I greatly prefer and most aren't US Made. In my opinion Emersons not the end all knife but it has its advantages, very innovative designs and features and are functional field knives.

I used my A-100 today to pry away and cut some plastic conduit, exactly the same task which broke a much loved CRKT fixed blade before, and would have broken my s60v native I was EDCing today. Now I'm looking for a new EKI model to buy and add to the EDC rotation. If you don't own one, or if you do and haven't used it hard, you simply are not capable of knowing the difference. EKIs aren't the best knives in the world for everything, but they offer a lot for the dollar. Other brands have their place, even CS's triad locks, but EKI has the lead by a good margin in hard use knives. Try doing some hard work with a triad lock knife while wearing heavily padded gloves, that was an eye opener for me...of course YMMV especially considering most finer fit and finish issues don't bother me one bit :)

I need to apologize to certain members here (except sns3guppy). I didn't join this thread to bash Emerson and their knives. I read through every page to gain info and opinions. I'm genuinely interested in the Super Commander, and have been checking the "for sale" section the last few days. Some quirks aside, it's a nice looking knife. I probably won't get it unless I see it at a much better price, so I picked up the CS Recon 1 Tanto instead. I think it'll serve me just as long, and just as well. That being said, there are people in this thread that made investments towards the brand and feel pride in ownership. I can at the very least respect that, as no one else here tried to force this subjective "price is irrelevant" hogwash to me. Price to me is very relevant. So, to summarize, my apologies.

@sns3guppy Stop harassing. The Cold Steel will serve me well. Let it go. Why do I need to apologize for not buying a Commander? My apologies were to the respectful members of this thread. Jeez... go away.

Last edited:
Your apology is for failing to buy the Commander then, and not for your profanity and immaturity? Good luck with the Cold Steel. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Wow. How old are you? We may have discovered the reason you can't afford a knife, or find your own. You need to be old enough to have a job. Do your parents know you want a knife?

Here's a video clip of a high quality Cold Steel sword breaking, by the way. It's a five hundred fifty dollar sword from Cold Steel. Enjoy:

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/cold-steel-blade

There was some lengthy discussion on that one. Damage to the pommel occurred (or it was removed) and they were using it to strike a stationary, solid object on the ground. On the other hand, the blade itself didn't actually break or snap.

To be fair though, any knife/sword at any price point will break if subject to sufficient abuse. Noss and Cliff Stamp succeeded in breaking some pretty tough, high quality, and expensive blades, including Chris Reeves and Busses. There were also some guys that caused a lock failure on a CRK Umnumzaan and I do recall seeing a picture of a Strider folder with a snapped blade a while ago on a different forum.

Last edited:
Back