For some reason, Emerson has never appealed to me.

I don't want to play any games. All that I am saying is Mr Emerson has responded to threads like this before. His response is a clear as day to me. I'm not making excuses for the man. It is his business and not mine. I don't understand why people are so personally bothered by the issue is all.

I'm just as bad for reacting to this thread. Its silly.

Cry me a river!
You big baby..:(
You seem to be making a bigger deal out of this whole thing. Everything you say makes me nauseous.:barf:

the knife maker explained why his knives come this way... and to compare or make statements about hinderer or chris reeve or any other knife company is irrelevant ...and pointless if you are looking for fit and finish like one of those knives.. BUY ONE and stop complaining about knives you obviously either do not like and want to bitch about or expect to be like your "pretty" knives

For the sake of this conversation though I would add the following. There is ZERO reason that a knife with a high level of fit and finish can not be as tough or tougher then a knife with a low level of fit and finish.

I said it. I think anyone will say that. Its common sense. Speaking of common sense...common sense would lead you to believe the more attention payed to detail the better. I for one love my CRK's for the PERFECTION that I see in them.

I am not here to argue with anyone's preference. I have a few manufacturers that I have zero interest in and would even say I don't like them and could say a whole lot bad about them. You will never see me in those forums though.

Its simply once the man has stated his mind set it seems like some can take it for what it is yet others can't let it go without a comment.

To explain what I'm trying to say I will use Horton knives as an example. When I first started following his knives I thought they had a lot of potential. I did receive a lot of emials and PM's from friends stating if only he had a better fit and finish. I sincerely tried to voice these complaints on his forum. He had taught me a thing or two about knife making. I felt I would try to help him back. BOOM it backfired! I got jumped on like you wouldn't believe.

In the end I just stayed out. My thoughts had been stated and heard. All I would be doing past that would be saying the same things over and over. About a year later I checked in and now Hortons knives look worlds beyond his first and he has even made his own folder. All without any ongoing comments from me.

I know its not relevant to EKI, but I think the logic is. Say what you have to say once. If the maker comes out and states his business model to you then let it go. Its their's and not yours. Even if you are trying to help it may not be taken that way.

Cry me a river!
You big baby..:(
You seem to be making a bigger deal out of this whole thing. Everything you say makes me nauseous.:barf:

glad to see you make an intelligent and mature statement :) No one is forcing you to read my posts or even reply to them. You are acting as if you and me are having a conversation... we are not ...im posting about the topic and you are coming after me .. i would advise against that.. calling people names on the internet just shows us all your maturity level and your inability to formulate a coherent reply.

Last edited:
Say what you have to say once. If the maker comes out and states his business model to you then let it go. Its their's and not yours. Even if you are trying to help it may not be taken that way.

I think this is the best statement from this thread.

Originally Posted by richstag
Say what you have to say once. If the maker comes out and states his business model to you then let it go. Its their's and not yours. Even if you are trying to help it may not be taken that way.

I think this is the best statement from this thread.

Agreed....:thumbup:

I could see this happening if the pivot screw was drastically loosened. I've seen plenty Emersons with loose pivot screws in an attempt for ease of opening. But that's just wrong, so I wonder ....

Otherwise if you're using your folder in such a manner, you have the wrong tool.

I generally just use my knives as cuting tools. Never a prybar or anything like that. So I'm sure an emerson could handle that. Just didn't seem like the price tag matched the build quality. I carry benchmade axis locks or my new spydie manix 2 which I'm lovin these days.

This is INSANE!

Incompetance excused as intentional is still incompetance.

"All the answers on my test are wrong, but I meant for them to be wrong, so I get an 'A'."

No, that's not how it works.

Also plain old meh 154cm is hardly a super tough steel

I have a couple of Emersons, a Karambit and a CQC-14 that I picked up a Ti lockside for from STR and a CQC-7. I like them, but nothing special for the money.

Now my complaint is have you ever tried to get any of the Christmas knives? There were supposedly 5 Christmas Karambits sold for 2010, all 5 of them are currently on fleabay. One with a CF handle by one person for 799, and the other 4 for sale by one person :confused: for 899. Try wrapping your head around that..... (You would think for special limited edition knives they would spread the love around a bit. Guess not evidently.)

I may get an older Benchmade made CQC-7 if I can find it for a decent price though.

Different people have different demands. Some demand a quality of fit and finish, others, one of reliability and strength. I find the price for these two separate demands are very similar.

I don't deny both preferences can be found in the same knife, but rarely, at a much higher price level and usually don't offer much field testing experience to guarantee it will not fail when heavily used.

I also see very cheap, Chinese production knives sold for as much where neither fit and finish, nor strength, or reliable qualities are present.

I think Emerson provides a good mix of qualities for a reasonable price to stay in business and maintain their reputation. But most important you can trust your life to a knife not failing you when you need it most. For me, that's the only quality I care for and happily pay Emerson's price for this piece of mind.

I have a couple of Emersons, a Karambit and a CQC-14 that I picked up a Ti lockside for from STR and a CQC-7. I like them, but nothing special for the money.

Now my complaint is have you ever tried to get any of the Christmas knives? There were supposedly 5 Christmas Karambits sold for 2010, all 5 of them are currently on fleabay. One with a CF handle by one person for 799, and the other 4 for sale by one person :confused: for 899. Try wrapping your head around that..... (You would think for special limited edition knives they would spread the love around a bit. Guess not evidently.)

I may get an older Benchmade made CQC-7 if I can find it for a decent price though.

Why do you care who they sell their knives to, or how many at one time. They are not a charitable organization as far as I know. In business, the love is spread to those who show up with the cash first. Apparently the FleeBay seller is spreading the love now for more money.

Last edited:
Why do you care who they sell their knives to, or how many at one time. They are not a charitable organization as far as I know. In business, the love is spread to those who show up with the cash first. Apparently the FleeBay seller is spreading the love now for more money.

That is exactly why I will never buy another new Emerson. Selling the Christmas knives in bulk to a fleabag seller who's only interest is making 400%, tells me a ton about the mindset of the company and the people in charge.

It would make perfect sense, to some one who has any, that putting the knives into the hands of the people who support the company would be a good thing. People here using them and posting pictures could actually increase seals. GASP, novel concept I know.

And I care because I have an opinion. Why do you care if I care?

I DON"T care. I'm commenting that the kind of love spreading you've mentioned is communistic and doesn't fly in a free Country.

What will you tell us next, that because a supermarket has 4 cartons of milk left on the shelf, we can't buy all four?

I DON"T care. I'm commenting that the kind of love spreading you've mentioned is communistic and doesn't fly in a free Country.

What will you tell us next, that because a supermarket has 4 cartons of milk left on the shelf, we can't buy all four?

Nope, you can buy all you want. Cause I'm sure they made more than four cartons of milk.

wait, I don't understand. did these knives get sold directly from Emerson? or were they sold through a dealer? either way, the fact that all of them is on eBay sucks, but everyone had the same chance to buy them. I don't really see how Emerson is to blame here, or how it's relevant to anything in this thread.

That is exactly why I will never buy another new Emerson. Selling the Christmas knives in bulk to a fleabag seller who's only interest is making 400%, tells me a ton about the mindset of the company and the people in charge.
- The Christmas knives were available to everyone. People in the Emerson Collector's Association were given first notification. I've had a chance to purchase several special colored scales when they are available on his site, but I've passed. Why? Simply because I can get a customization done that I want for cheaper.

I'm not sure why you would blame Emerson for the prices sold through a private seller. The same goes for the lottery knives. Everyone has a chance to buy them through online lotteries or knife shows. Not everyone can, hence why they go for multiples of the original $650 price.

Back