For some reason, Emerson has never appealed to me.

Made the lock fail on a commander once by pinching and twisting the handle. Didn't really strike me as all that hardcore. To each his own I guess.

i would love for Emerson to make a sub 3 in EDC type knife ...still an Emerson just a little smaller i would love an even smaller version of the Horseman its just a tiny bit too big for EDC and the snubby is too small :)

i would love for Emerson to make a sub 3 in EDC type knife ...still an Emerson just a little smaller i would love an even smaller version of the Horseman its just a tiny bit too big for EDC and the snubby is too small :)

Mini cqc7? its sub 3".

I agree though, if the horseman were just a hair smaller, it'd be perfect.

I think I saw a picture in the EKI blog showing a smaller than mini commander frame and blade. Now THAT would be astounding.

I was totally unaware that fit/finish and "toughness" were mutually exclusive.

Someone, quick, tell Rick Hinderer and Chris Reeves...

Mini cqc7? its sub 3".

I agree though, if the horseman were just a hair smaller, it'd be perfect.

I think I saw a picture in the EKI blog showing a smaller than mini commander frame and blade. Now THAT would be astounding.

i want a mini CQC 7A in satin plain spear point but i think its discontinued

Made the lock fail on a commander once by pinching and twisting the handle. Didn't really strike me as all that hardcore. To each his own I guess.

I could see this happening if the pivot screw was drastically loosened. I've seen plenty Emersons with loose pivot screws in an attempt for ease of opening. But that's just wrong, so I wonder ....

Otherwise if you're using your folder in such a manner, you have the wrong tool.

Last edited:
As I stated in a previous post, one of the companies that we are most often compared to does build pretty, highly fit and finished knives and are known for trying all types of super steels. Those same knives with such great fits and finish and super steels, self destructed and I mean broke in half - both blades and locks and were largely faulted with the deaths of those Marines and Navy Corpsman when they were used as "Rescue Knives" in that extreme environment. Perhaps they should have paid more attention to strength and performance and less attention to finish.
:eek:

Emerson custom knives are the most sought after collected custom knives in the world with collector networks numbering in the tens of thousands. There is no other custom maker with such demand - not Loveless, not Walker, not Onion, not Moran. ...

Say Huh?

As was I...

I don't know why people can't just let it go. Mr Emerson as much as said it is what it is and he knows who his customers are and they know him. It was plainly obvious he wasn't comparing his knives to CRK or a Hinderer.

First off a CRK or Hinderer is at least twice the cost. BTW Mr Emerson was simply being modest. His customs are incredible.

FWIW. I just don't get the never ending BS. For people to have so little interest in a product that they can't stand them it seems so crazy to see so many stop in just to talk shit.

Respectfully to the entire community,

Kevin.

Btw, I am not speaking to people that have encountered problems with EKI, just people that can't move on. Its a damn knife. Get over it.

They absolutely aren't. There might be some hair line scratches on the flats of the blade, but other than that, I've never noticed anything else that could be considered a blemish. I've owned three (received them in trades, and sold them because they were too large, but the CQC-5 I just bought is a keeper). I've owned several Hinderers and I don't think they're any better in that regard. I've noticed burs on the thumb serrations on the blade on several XM-18s, and the cuts themselves were a little bit crooked on two of mine. To me, this was more of an issue than anything I've seen on an Emerson. This is coming from someone who is a Hinderer fan.

Last edited:
its great when fanboys have to come into a forum for a different knife on purpose with nothing relevant to say other than to spew negativity

People are absolutely insane.

furfmonkey: Yeah its hard to track them down, last I heard the Emerson site was the only one with the mini 7a's.

I don't know why people can't just let it go. Mr Emerson as much as said it is what it is and he knows who his customers are and they know him. It was plainly obvious he wasn't comparing his knives to CRK or a Hinderer.

First off a CRK or Hinderer is at least twice the cost. BTW Mr Emerson was simply being modest. His customs are incredible.

FWIW. I just don't get the never ending BS. For people to have so little interest in a product that they can't stand them it seems so crazy to see so many stop in just to talk shit.

Respectfully to the entire community,

Kevin.

Btw, I am not speaking to people that have encountered problems with EKI, just people that can't move on. Its a damn knife. Get over it.

Could, for the sake of this discussion, (on the mutual exclusivity between finish and toughness) the 2 production knives mentioned be compared to a Emerson custom?

In finish and toughness...yes, I believe so...probably surpassing the custom. Of course not in "exclusivity"...though the Hinderer would be approaching it.

If you want to play the dollar/finish/toughness game for productions, in which the 2 mentioned brands are indeed more expensive (and more everything else, too) then how is it that Zero Tolerance is able to create such nicely finished knives at such an attainable and comparable price point?

I think there were some interesting questions asked, and instead of an honest response, the only answer was a bunch of braggadocios, defensive, chest thumping.

I'll try and pick up a couple Emerson customs at the next big show, maybe I can trade them for a bakers dozen of Loveless's with a couple Onions thrown in to boot...:rolleyes:

If people want to admire pretty knives, they should get a touched up photo of their favorite model and be done with it.

Those who put their knives to use and demand reliability from them don't care about scratches, a pretty finish, nor those who moan online about it.

That is all.

There might be some hair line scratches on the flats of the blade, but other than that, I've never noticed anything else that could be considered a blemish.

My Emersons are full of blemishes; as noted before, none that concern me. My Sebenza is a prettier knife, to be sure, but it doesn't get used nearly as much as the Emersons. I've got a few; the door on one gun safe is full of them. I don't need that many, but I like spares.

I appreciate Mr. Emerson's last response, as well. No whining, no apologizing; a straight-forward statement that here's the product, if you like it, buy it, if you don't, it won't make a dent in business. He stated outright that they're finished on a belt sander. They look like it. They feel like it. They don't slip in my hand. I like that lot, even when my hand is wet. They hold an edge well. They stay open; I've not had any fold up when gripping hard. I did play with them a lot, experimenting with using gloves to see if the liner lock might be pushed out of the way, and like any such knife, it can be made to fail; it can be closed on your fingers. It's also the most convenient design for what the knives are.

Let's face it; they're folders. Not light sabers. I don't expect to cut through the side of a nuclear reactor and fight off a batallion of Taliban with one. It's an expedient, got-it-here-right-now blade. I've carried them when flying, I've carried them when deployed, I've carried them all over the world, a first choice above any other because they work, and they've proven themselves to me.

For those who don't find that to be the case, then don't carry them! It's really simple. It's not like you're going to hurt business for Emerson, and it's not like he's going to plead with you to buy his product. As nearly as I can tell, he couldn't care less if I buy another of his knives, because he knows he's got a full market share; he can sell every one. I don't think he cares that I own any of his knives. Perhaps he does, but does it matter?

I haven't had to try to warranty one of my knives with his firm. Perhaps he will take care of me, perhaps not; it's really irrelevant to me until I need to send one in, but never having needed to do that is more important to me than whether he might take care of something...I don't want to have to find out, or take the time to send it in. That's the bottom line for me; the damn things work. Hand covered in oil, water, or blood? It stays in my hand. I had to cut the head of a snake the other day; it cut quickly, cleanly, and saved having to fight with it; it was on dirt over rocks, and the blade is just fine.

I don't care for the grind that most of the knives have, but I understand it, finally, and they come pretty damn sharp. For a slash and dash knife, some of their blades are darn close to ideal. The Commander recurve blade, plain edge (I realize that Emerson has good reasons for making and selling his combo edges, but I don't like them and the plain edge offers me a lot more utility for my needs, and I can't sharpen serrated edges worth squat) is really a beautiful design. It works really, really well.

I am NOT a "fanboy." I am a user who appreciates the fact that the blades work for me, and I have zero concern for what anyone else has to say about them, for, or against. The knives only need to work; they do that very well.

:(........ It happens everywhere on this forum. All that really matters is your opinion. Stop complaining, its annoying. JMO...:D

well guess what? thats MY opinion ... deal with it... you don't like it.. you are free to multi quote and wall of text me to hell ... like you said it happens everywhere on this forum.. who are you to police me and my posts? im well within forum rules and my rights..

people comparing knives that are stated by the maker as being hard use with blems and then people complaining about said blems is idiotic... thats like complaining about buying a car with a dented hood when it says dented hood on the sign

Mr Emerson your knives are perfect just the way they are... my only gripe is availability.. that and make a mini horseman with a 3in or somewhere between 2.75 and 3in also i cannot find a mini CQC-7A spear point in satin plain edge

Last edited:
The knives are what they are. They are the same as the day we produced the very first ones.

As I have said before I do not build them for pretty, fancy or to be perfect and I will not do so.

As I stated in a previous post, one of the companies that we are most often compared to does build pretty, highly fit and finished knives and are known for trying all types of super steels. Those same knives with such great fits and finish and super steels, self destructed and I mean broke in half - both blades and locks and were largely faulted with the deaths of those Marines and Navy Corpsman when they were used as "Rescue Knives" in that extreme environment. Perhaps they should have paid more attention to strength and performance and less attention to finish.

They have scratches, nicks and dings on them as they leave my shop. They are built with the same nicks, dings and scratches that they had when I started building them that way in the mid 1980's.

Occasionally I will get a collector who will contact me with the following request; "I just got my first custom Emerson. I paid $XXXX for it and I noticed some fine scratches on the blade. For this price it should be perfect." After I explain to them that I was the one who put those scratches on the knife and that's the way it left my shop because that's the way I build them the knives are simply what they are. I don't build them to any other companies standards. I don't build them to the standards of customers who seek highly finished or "perfect" looks. I still build them to the standards of those who I have built them for since I started. And those customers know who I am and I know who they are. Hope this answers your question.

My Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson

the knife maker explained why his knives come this way... and to compare or make statements about hinderer or chris reeve or any other knife company is irrelevant ...and pointless if you are looking for fit and finish like one of those knives.. BUY ONE and stop complaining about knives you obviously either do not like and want to bitch about or expect to be like your "pretty" knives

Last edited:
Back