Four day hiking trip and no knives allowed?

Sounds like the casting for new cheap, reality based horror show... :eek: :p

Take a neckknife at the very least... unless they're going to frisk you, too, you'll have something! :D

They aren't camping in the wilderness. They're going for a walk along a nature trail alongside a developed area.

I thought he said they were taking them along a length of the AT.
Senior moment on my part???

As for the BSA in the "San Gabriel Valley" "wearing you down," that's you. Ender would not have been worn down. Resist the Bugs! :D

Ebbtide said:
Did I miss the part where the OP attempted to get his $ back and was refused?

Marzola said:
But i've already paid for this trip so I'm pretty much committed (can't get my money back).

Marzola said:
And these rulse did get to me after i paid, so i would have grounds to ask for a refund on.

Apparently quotations don't count toward the minimum character count for posting...

The BSA in the San Gabriel Valley/LA area still discourages the carry of anything other than small slipjoints. Whatever the actual bylaws say, they will put enough pressure on you until you carry what they're comfortable with, nothing more.

I don't doubt it. I just try to keep the new guys from being infected with "no sheath knife" rules. Certainly local troops and councils can make rules to fit their situations (insurance contracts, past experience, etc.), but it's not in the national regs. I'd be surprised if the LA council had an actual rule, as opposed to someone's loudly voiced prejudice.

Marzola - I think you were going to ask about the knife rule. Did you get any feedback yet about bringing a blade or other 10 essentials?

Looks like alot of supposing is going on.

BTW Thomas, the AT, where is crosses rt 9 in Putnam Co. NY goes (or used to go...been years) right by a wonderful German restaurant. My buddy liked that part of the trail a whole lot :D
Just because you're on the AT, it doesn't mean you're in the back of nowhere, everywhere :D

Looks like alot of supposing is going on.

BTW Thomas, the AT, where is crosses rt 9 in Putnam Co. NY goes (or used to go...been years) right by a wonderful German restaurant. My buddy liked that part of the trail a whole lot :D
Just because you're on the AT, it doesn't mean you're in the back of nowhere, everywhere :D
Gottcha. :thumbup: You can shot golf in Death Valley.

Honestly - we are talking about a hike with about 50 people in a part of the woods where they have cell phone coverage the entire time. If you think a SAK is going to save you (and 50 of your friends) that the guides GPS, Bus, and Cell phone - you are wrong.

This is just a glorified safety day hike. Follow the rules and pack whatever you like when you go out on your own.

TF

Pack a knife in your bag. As for the watch, say it is an emergency compass if you get lost, that should make things humorous

what they dont know of wont hurt them. good luk with freshman year:)

I think this is a good point, but I'd be VERY careful. Your best bet is to bring a small multi-tool instead of a fixed blade or anything that would look more suspicious. Plus if you get caught with a multi-tool no one will get too upset.

Honestly - we are talking about a hike with about 50 people in a part of the woods where they have cell phone coverage the entire time. If you think a SAK is going to save you (and 50 of your friends) that the guides GPS, Bus, and Cell phone - you are wrong.

This is just a glorified safety day hike. Follow the rules and pack whatever you like when you go out on your own.

TF
Do you know -- or are you assuming these supposed facts? Curious minds want to know. :D

Honestly - we are talking about a hike with about 50 people in a part of the woods where they have cell phone coverage the entire time. If you think a SAK is going to save you (and 50 of your friends) that the guides GPS, Bus, and Cell phone - you are wrong. . . .
Unless somebody needs something cut right now. I've yet to see a GPS, Bus or Cell phone that can replace a knife when you really need to cut something right now.

Ok, so no knives allowed. Bring a SHORT SWORD in your pack and when they see it in the middle of the trip, ask for forgiveness and say you thought they did not want knives, but nothing was said about swords.

You could use the same illogic with a leatherman multitool. It is a TOOL, not a knife....This goes well with their illogic of not allowing knives on a trip.
:thumbup:

I went on the trip, i survived, i had my knife, i used my knife.

I got back last saturday and haven't had time untill now to get back on the boards to update about it. I was in a group of 9 people (seven students, two guides). The guides were experienced backpackers and knew what they were doing. We ended up only doing about two good days of backpacking. First night we stayed at one of the school's campsites, and the last day we got back to the school at around 11 am and chilled for the rest of the day, doing a ropes course thing.

First day of backpacking we did about 4 miles, starting in north western CT and hiked north on the AT up lions head mountain. It was a pretty easy day and we got to the campsite about a mile north from the mountain at around 4:00. We ate well, having pasta for dinner. Since we were still in CT, we couldn't have a campfire that night. For shelter we set up tarps between trees. It wasn't luxurious but it worked. We played some getting to know each other games and went to bed.

Next day we got up early, ate breakfast and got back out on the trail. That day we did eight miles, hiking up bear mountain, into massachusetts, and up race mountain. The top of race mountain was amazing. We were walking along a ridge line and had a stunning view. I took many great pictures. That night we camped at the race brook falls campsite. I used the saw on my OHT to cut up some fire wood for a good campfire that night. The guides I was with didn't care that I had a knife with me and even seemed to appreciate it (they had their own multi tools with them.

Next morning we woke up and hiked out two miles to get to the trail head where we waited for a bus to come pick us up. I am working on getting the pictures uploaded right now, so i'll have those to post soon.

Wow, I asked if it happened and while I was posting it, he posted that it did !

Now I gotta read that post....

Thanks for the update.
Looking forward to the pictures.

.........and he survived
:D

Back