Getting annoying...knife I pick has something wrong!

A: you'll never use your survival knife for survival so dont sweat it. (zombies are not really comming, its just an excuse we use to justify spending our money on our toys). If you live anywhere where there is wifi/internet, you'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever use your knife for survival!
B: I dont own either of those knifes but I'm sure you'll never wear them out so be proud of your knifes. I have heard good things from others, have you even tested them out on anything? Their only as good as you think they are and you already spent the money on them so why cry over spilled milk?

So I started researching knives a while ago and thought I made up my mind. I ordered a Fallkniven F1. Then I do some more reading and find out that the tang is narrower and that the handle can break since it sits on top of the spine of the knife.

So I order a bravo 1 no ramp from the same place and then I find these threads about the ceo of the company ripping off people and also a series of youtube videos where the edge is folding and the knife didn't hold up very well.

So I spent ~$350 or so and I still don't have a knife people say is good.

Someone PLEASE tell me what knife to buy for <$200 that is a survival/bush knife. The shapes of both the bravo 1 and f1 were highly recommended for these tasks. The knife needs to also be able to take a deer apart. I have a Dozier YPS for skinning and a knife for deboning but this knife should be able to process an entire deer if I so choose ontop of being a survival knife.

I have spent way to many hours reading threads and watching youtube videos and I'm seriously not getting enough sleep. I need to get this done so I can forget about it and know that my knife will not FAIL using it for its intended purpose.

I don't know if I can still cancel my orders or ship them back. If not I will have to try and resell the knives and most likely lose some money.

HELP?

I would like this knife to do everything from going on a camping trip with the kids where I cut up a fish or put peanut butter on a sandwich for them. I would like it to make firewood and fuzz sticks, make a spoon and make a shelter if I have too. I want it to skin a deer/moose whatever and debone it if I have to pack it out. Basically I want this knife to do it all if it HAS to. I have a dedicated skinning knife (dozier) and a deboning knife but I want one knife that can do everything if needed and I realize it won't be perfect at everything but it has to be good enough at those tasks.

Basically one all around knife if there is such a thing.

ESEE-4 is that the old RC-4? There is also RAT-4? I find that all very confusing but the knife looks good and has a good sheath as well.

I don't ever enyoing buying hunting equipment because I have to know that I made the absolute best choice for myself so I'm not constantly second guessing myself when I do end up buying something. I litteraly spent a month reading about glass manufacturing and coating processess before I settled on what scopes to buy for my hunting rifles and don't even ask me how many months I spent deciding what my north american rifle battery should be.

I need to buy a knife that will do all I need it to for my lifetime that fits my budget and I can then stop spending rediculous amounts (a bit is fine but I spent over 20 hours this weekend alone reading threads and watching youtube videos) of time researching all this stuff.

I'm sure there is a name for my compulsions in the DSM but I don't have time to figure out what that is right now.

Thanks for your help.
:eek:..... Having "fun" yet??? :confused: .. :D

No disrespect implied or meant, but you have it bad. :thumbup: ... :D

My buddy and I have called it the "Equipment Syndrome" for years now.

It is when we let things get kinda outta control and put more focus on the "tools" of our passion than the passion itself. Sound familiar?? ;)

The older I get the more I have to guard against it.. whether it be hunting, fishing, or my two three personal top struggles......

*Fly Fishing
**Knife "Collecting" [really accumulating]
***Flashlights.

You know... gotta have the "perfect" set up to enhance the experience.... :rolleyes:

When in reality, past a certain point it is just a "sickness".. honestly. ;)

It does nothing to enhance the passion and actually detracts from it.. cause the mind is constantly wondering what else to try and/or get next.... :D

Now I am not saying there is anything wrong with having good stuff and doing ones homework to try and figure out what that is.. just don't let that grow so long it goes to seed and detracts from the activity itself... :confused: .. :eek:

You already have some great knives.. use those suckers and see how you like them. Get off the "addition treadmill" of looking for the "magic" do all, end all "anything".... knife in this case.

And take what you "read" here or anywhere else with a grain of salt. Sort through some of the "opinions" of the few, that may actually sound & know what they are talking about; and have some valid reason/reasons for their view points.

I understand where you are coming from, and am saying this as much to myself as to you...... :eek: .. :D

Good luck my friend..... :thumbup: ..... :)

too much Obsessive compulsiveness here , any knife will be fine for what you want to do, you have a dozier, it will do any of the things you want , as will any of the blades you mentioned, all the knives are from reputable makers, forget the horror stories.

next how about you get out and find out how to use your knife, mors kochanski does very well with just a 10 dollar Mora, it aint the knife it is the skills of the person using it. in any case you will be very well served to get out and use your knife, you can do it in your back yard, make fire split wood, build a shelter, cut up some meat, practice doing all the chores you want to do in the wild. this will let you know that it is not magic in the blade it is the magic in your hands that makes the knife do what you want. pick a 500 dollar custom it will only be as good as you are at getting the tasks done.

alex

*Fly Fishing
**Knife "Collecting" [really accumulating]
***Flashlights.

I really pity the poor bastards with the flashlight addiction. What do you guys do when the sun comes out in the morning? Think - One day, One day, I'll have a little flashlight with a single AAA battery that lights my whole region up just like the sun does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean damn.....A whole forum dedicated just to flashlights. That is pretty damn pathetic :D They got flashlight backgrounds for their computers <-- I heard one really cleaver one was an all white screen that allowed you to use your computer as a flashlight........

I have both a Bravo 1 and a Fallkniven F1. I haven't used the bravo much, but it hasn't flinched at anything I have tried with it. As for the F1, I have beat on it repeatedly for years now without a hitch. It has batonned, it has carved, pried, dug holes, and cut through just about everything. When I take the time to clean it up, it still looks almost good as new except you can tell it's been sharpened many a time.

Back