Getting annoying...knife I pick has something wrong!

Quick update. First two knives finally got here. Not impressed with the mail man just putting the parcel down on my front steps. Anyone could have up and walked away with them.

I don't like the F1 handle. Doesn't feel right for me. B1 is very beefy. Both razor sharp.

IMG_1932.jpg

I wasn't so keen on the F1 handle either. It was good in that it was low profile and I bought the package with the Zytel sheath which it meant the whole thing could fit very easily in a pocket. Ultimately though I wept for the old rubber handle I adore on my Boker so I switched back. I was willing to suffer the hit from going from VG10 to 440C exclusively because of that. I gather the H1 has a better handle than the F1 and it seems that way from pics. Perhaps a custom handle is the way to go. Excellent blade to hang one on.

The Barkie looks good. Raise your sharpening angle a bit or use something more compliant as backing when you sharpen it if it is too thin at the edge and rolls too easily. Or even a micro bevel on a ceramic rod should toughen it up a bit if need be.

Hope one of them works out for you at least.

Kman300: and herein lies the lesson. Internet advice can only point the direction, not find the destination.

A lot of people really like the F1-- particularly for the handle. But it doesn't work for you. There's nothing wrong with the knife or your hand, they just aren't made for each other. That's why other people can only tell you what's good, what the pros and cons are, but not tell you what works for you.

I got my RDM and Wolverine today. The RDM is awesome! Fits me like a glove and just feels awesome. Not sure how else to describe it. I ordered a kydex sheath from someone on the boards as well. Should go great together.

The wolverine also feels great in my hand and I'm sure it will be a great knife for more delicate tasks. I'm going ice fishing over christmas and I'll gut and fillet a few fish with it. If it cuts fish like it does paper it should be easy as heck.

I found two knives I love and will be happy with for many years. I am confident they will serve me well and nothing is nagging in the back of my mind that tells me they won't cut it.

Cheers

IMG_1937.jpg

What are you going to do with the Bravo 1 and F1? Sell them? or keep them and use them for a bit of variety?

Great looking blades buddy, with those two you should have most bases covered !

I figured you'd like the RMD. If you can afford it you should try out the others as well. They are all good knives.

IMG_5868.jpg

Dang! You must of missed the Cliff Stamp reviews of the Kellams and nasty edge chipping lol:foot::D

You can't finesse your way through a moose sternum nor their pelvis but thanks for the info on temperature transition.

Why dont you use a bone saw ? I wouldnt ever batton through a moose sternum or pelvis with any knife i own..them bones are thick...bone saw time...hell, ive done it with a bow saw a couple of times too! If you are hell bent on smashing through the bone areas mentioned with a sharp object, use an axe! Good lord.

any of the knives you purchased, F1-B1-ESEE 5 are some of the best knives on the market...But hey, its your money. Whatever.

Why dont you use a bone saw ? I wouldnt ever batton through a moose sternum or pelvis with any knife i own..them bones are thick...bone saw time...hell, ive done it with a bow saw a couple of times too! If you are hell bent on smashing through the bone areas mentioned with a sharp object, use an axe! Good lord.

any of the knives you purchased, F1-B1-ESEE 5 are some of the best knives on the market...But hey, its your money. Whatever.

You must have missed it along the way. Apparently, this discussion was rhetorical...

It's not a matter of getting into the chest cavity it's a matter of cutting up the animal into pieces that you can carry on foot to get back to your truck. Also we are not allowed to waste any meat here so I take the whole thing out because deboning in the field is a pain and my dogs eat all the bones on the animals I shoot. So everything gets used.

I realize very well that a saw does these jobs better and a knife isn't the best tool for this but then again brining only 1 knife to do everything isn't the best idea either is it? We'd all be better off with 3 knives, a saw and an axe and maybe an electric shaver too. However if you have EVER packed a moose out of the bush 3 miles 1 way to the truck in -30 taking all day to get it out of there the less you have to carry the better.

This entire exercise to have 1 knife to do everything is rhetorical anyways since there are better tools for virtually every job you would use only one knife on. The premiss however is that one only has one knife to do all said tasks and to discern which is the best for most situations is the question I am trying to have answered.

Just to be funny how about a Busse CABS? A bit thin perhaps to do a moose but how about for everything else? Howling rats and ratmandus are all sold out it seems.
But somehow, not rhetorical at all. Bolding added.

I bet 99% of posters in this thread are surprised any knives showed up.

Gonads, don't be sorry for the posters in this thread. It's been a fun ride, so far...:D

You must have missed it along the way. Apparently, this discussion was rhetorical...

But somehow, not rhetorical at all. Bolding added.

I bet 99% of posters in this thread are surprised any knives showed up.

Gonads, don't be sorry for the posters in this thread. It's been a fun ride, so far...:D

Thanks for enlightening me buddy, after reading the first few pages of this thread i was pissed off LOL.

unreal.

G1

Hahaha what a shitshow this turned into. I feel bad for bumping this thread yet again, but holy crap. Lock this bish.

-Nadz

Quick update. First two knives finally got here. Not impressed with the mail man just putting the parcel down on my front steps. Anyone could have up and walked away with them.

I don't like the F1 handle. Doesn't feel right for me. B1 is very beefy. Both razor sharp.

IMG_1932.jpg

You can get the F1 with the B1 handle. knivesshipfree.com good stuff but I'm starting to like my ESEE 5 better

I am glad that got sorted out. Have fun with your new blades I am sure you will like them. Have you gave much thought about what other gear you need? Backpack, Boots, Flashlight Ect? We are here to help. If you have any questions just ask.

I have 20 or so "perfect knives," and i have a hard time picking just one to take in the woods. Im a huge fan of ESEE knives, I have an izula, juglass, ESEE 3,a H.E.S.T. and probably my favorite is my ESEE 5. The ESEE 5 is the new SEER school knife, with actual SEER instructors input on the design(the artical is in Tactical Knives Magazine). I gotta say its my favorite "perfect" knife. I also have an onterio survival machette and it is a BEAST. Also check out the ATAK knife from Tops, It's in my small hunting pack right now. You should carry a small knife for small chores, and a big knife or a hatchet for big chores. Good luck finding a few "perfect" knives.

Last edited:
Back