Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

Did anyone pick up the the new SFO peach seed? If so, please comment on your liking or disliking. I am considering it.

Thanks James. I bought a few of the stockman, but probably would've bought all of the jacks!

I got my Hemlock "Green" today, and it is indeed a nice knife. I see what people are saying about the pull on the secondaries though. A solid 3, IMHO. Bad enough to complain about, but not quite bad enough to send back.

This is just my second new GEC run this year so far, I believe. Both of my #54s had good walk, but less than great talk. Now the 66s have light pulls. Either fate is handing me a bad hand, or perhaps the golden years of GEC quality have come to an end.

I love GEC like crazy, but I have to say that the QC has left me wanting a bit so far in 2017.

I got my Hemlock "Green" today, and it is indeed a nice knife. I see what people are saying about the pull on the secondaries though. A solid 3, IMHO. Bad enough to complain about, but not quite bad enough to send back.

This is just my second new GEC run this year so far, I believe. Both of my #54s had good walk, but less than great talk. Now the 66s have light pulls. Either fate is handing me a bad hand, or perhaps the golden years of GEC quality have come to an end.

I love GEC like crazy, but I have to say that the QC has left me wanting a bit so far in 2017.

You'd have appreciated the 48's. They were superb.

I'd say they've always been hit or miss, with more hits than misses. Wharncliff 57's showed some poor transitions. I had a 62 Whittler with way worse secondary walk and talk than any of my 2017 knives. Sometimes the hours put into a knife hit their cap, and they can't be tweaked any more without the small company losing money.

I think it more evolution than anything. Their factory edges are better than ever, in my opinion. They also aren't making nail breakers like they did at first and into their "golden years".

While this wouldn't have been my first choice if I had a large array of different blue camel bone examples to choose from....I most certainly like it. The heavy spot of dye centered on the pile side is kind of weird.

Smooth bone has such a wonderful tactile feel.

KjGIO5W.jpg

v2Otdvr.jpg

IMO, there are 3 main elements controlling action on a folding knife blade; spring strength, tang profile and pivot tension. Very hard to get all 3 elements perfect in a hand assembled, mass produced knife. Period, regardless of who makes it.

I think with GEC the common denominator with lackluster walk and talk is the cam tang. I have had very few issues with their half stop models. A cam tang needs a progressive radius on the tang, preferably allowing a moderate pull to open followed up with a solid THWACK to full open. This results in a blade that takes a solid effort to begin closing but then is followed with a somewhat softer close. IMO, half stops are much easier to design and execute than cam tangs.

I picked up four calf ropers this time and all four were basically the same on pull . The mains were all just perfect with great walk and talk and the secondary blades were on the light side . I could stand them to be stiffer but overall very nice knives ! The chestnut peachseed is probably my favorite but it's a tough choice because all of them look great !

Back