Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

My "sure" reservation just popped up and I got pretty much pick of the litter. My first 66 from this run and it will be the only stag knife in my collection. Can't wait to put it to use :)

Same here Jeff. CK got a large allocation. They all looked good. The best thing appeared to be the even thickness of the slabs.

Got my 66 yesterday. I think it looks pretty great. Not sure if I will use it. It is not as comfortable in hand as my other two knives due to the sheep's foot blade setting up very high. Overall, it is really satisfying though and it has the potential to become an all time favorite.

GEC66 1.jpg GEC66 2.jpg

Did anyone pick up the the new SFO peach seed? If so, please comment on your liking or disliking. I am considering it.

Just a little update for you - I've been carrying it for 6 days now. My initial impressions are still valid, the snap has improved on both secondary blades. They're bout about a "4" pull but move smoothly and snap well opened and closed. The bone had a couple of sharp spots that between using it as a worry stone and pocket time have smoothed out some. I'd intended to mod the "spey" blade to a drop point, but I've actually found the little hump on the back useful to keep the tip from digging into things (like when I cut an aged rubber coating off a nylon strap). I may still drop the sheepsfoot blade deeper into the bladewell if I decide to keep it for the long term. All three blades have rub marks on them, although I haven't been particularly careful in opening it.

I wish this jigging style came in Tidioute trim ~ I like the look of a long pull but I prefer a crescent nick in practice. I don't care for the dimpled and lined bolsters. I don't particularly care for the cut swedge on the main blade either. It's just too fancy for me. I love the bone though, and I feel like with some scratches, dings, pivot pins poking out and a heavy patina on the main blade, the fancy won't bother me so much ;)

Just a little update for you - I've been carrying it for 6 days now. My initial impressions are still valid, the snap has improved on both secondary blades. They're bout about a "4" pull but move smoothly and snap well opened and closed. The bone had a couple of sharp spots that between using it as a worry stone and pocket time have smoothed out some. I'd intended to mod the "spey" blade to a drop point, but I've actually found the little hump on the back useful to keep the tip from digging into things (like when I cut an aged rubber coating off a nylon strap). I may still drop the sheepsfoot blade deeper into the bladewell if I decide to keep it for the long term. All three blades have rub marks on them, although I haven't been particularly careful in opening it.

I wish this jigging style came in Tidioute trim ~ I like the look of a long pull but I prefer a crescent nick in practice. I don't care for the dimpled and lined bolsters. I don't particularly care for the cut swedge on the main blade either. It's just too fancy for me. I love the bone though, and I feel like with some scratches, dings, pivot pins poking out and a heavy patina on the main blade, the fancy won't bother me so much ;)
Wow. Thank you for sharing your observations. I have the ebony and I am not that careful with it either as far as blade rub. Opening the spey before the sheepsfoot created rubbing marks on both blades.

Same here Jeff. CK got a large allocation. They all looked good. The best thing appeared to be the even thickness of the slabs.

I agree, it was a lot to pick from. I went for one that thinned a little in the middle and had matching sides more on the white side then the burnt. Pictures when I get my grubby fingers on it :)

I had trouble loading the photos and panicked a little so when I found an acceptable (really nice) one I grabbed it. Mine doesn't have as much white but I'll know better when it arrives. I just got the tracking #, so I should have it by Saturday. I gave Mike a bit of a hard time which he didn't deserve and have apologized. I think I may have to take it easy for a while. It looks to be a knife for the ages.

DI%2066%2001.JPG

Got my 66 yesterday. I think it looks pretty great. Not sure if I will use it. It is not as comfortable in hand as my other two knives due to the sheep's foot blade setting up very high. Overall, it is really satisfying though and it has the potential to become an all time favorite.

View attachment 739789 View attachment 739790

I think the sheepfoot could be dropped a bit by filing down the kick without dropping the spring much. I almost always drop the sheepfoot on my stock knives but this one is pretty close to where I want it so I haven't bothered to mess with it yet. If I did, I would just bring it down to even with the clip.

Nice!

I still have a Blood Red 66 on reserve and there are still some Stag 66's being shipped but as far as production goes, is the 66 run all done? I'm a little sad. It was a fun ride.

Just got my "Hemlock Green" #66 and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. But I'm wondering: Why does GEC persist in the fiction that the covers are green? I seem to remember that a small number of the covers of the recent #48 run were inadvertently mis-dyed blue and they didn't seem to have a problem calling those knives what they obviously were.

Has anybody received a "Hemlock Green" #66 that actually looks green (pictures please)?

Remember Case's old Green Bone from years gone by? I've seen a lot of pictures of those and I've seen a few in person at knife shows. I can only remember one that actually looked green to me and even then I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it.

Maybe it's a play on that or something similar.

I think the sheepfoot could be dropped a bit by filing down the kick without dropping the spring much. I almost always drop the sheepfoot on my stock knives but this one is pretty close to where I want it so I haven't bothered to mess with it yet. If I did, I would just bring it down to even with the clip.

Nice!
Thanks for the tip!

Just got my "Hemlock Green" #66 and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. But I'm wondering: Why does GEC persist in the fiction that the covers are green? I seem to remember that a small number of the covers of the recent #48 run were inadvertently mis-dyed blue and they didn't seem to have a problem calling those knives what they obviously were.

Has anybody received a "Hemlock Green" #66 that actually looks green (pictures please)?

Last year's run of 47 Vipers had this handle option, same coloration if I'm not mistaken. They said simply called that one "Hemlock Jigged Bone" with no mention of green in the description.

Actually, NewBlades, so far both are safe-queens. I have a jillion stockmen already, so no need to carry one, but probably will at some point.
Ah ok. A guy after my own heart. Usually, if I can afford it, I like to buy in doubles if it is something that I think I really like.

I have been going back and forth for an hour looking at the 66 Blue Camel bone. One that I was considering is now gone after contemplating. Not much to pick from at this point. The dozen left are quite light in color.

Hemlock green has been this color for years and years. Its v. cool that it's not hemlock green, which is a really ugly color.

But if we keep objecting to it, as if this is some kind of annoyance, that may not last, which would be a great pity.

I get a kick out of the name for some reason. If people were ordering from a picture-less catalog, it would be annoying, even unacceptable. But we all see the pics. Thus, it's really a non-issue. I quite like the red herring name. :D

Back