Great Gelbu Special by Kesar. Pix. Save fifty bucks.

:
Alan the Eagle Flute would probably be a good starting Flute for you.
The big Condor Flute is actually made for those with some experience.
If the Condor Flute was any bigger I would have trouble getting it to note correctly.
I am thinking about getting one of Odell's Eagle Flutes on down the line.
But get the deepest toned one that he makes in that model.
I doubt that you will be sorry.
It's really great when you can make the trip and pick the one out of several that speaks to you and you alone.
But do what speaks to you since the Grandfathers know what's best for us ya know.
biggrin.gif

And your dad's right.
This all started over a bent stick.
biggrin.gif

Although it is a good piece of Hickory.
biggrin.gif

And I am very glad that it happened!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I am pleased to know all the people that come here and find they're at home.
biggrin.gif

Dayumed wireless keyboard missed another letter!!!!
------------------
Yvsa.

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 06-05-2001).]

Yvsa,

Thank you for the advice. I do have a tendancy to bite off more than I can chew sometimes (no comments from Kentucky are needed
smile.gif
). My desire for the Condor was strictly based on its sound... not the level of my skills, which means I'm thinking with my heart again instead of my head.

On further reflection, the Eagle will be a more suitable flute for me to learn on. I can always move up when my skills and wallet can handle it. That means that maybe I can afford to get the tourquois inlay though
biggrin.gif
(MADV Alert!!!)

Alan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yvsa:

And not having played a whole lot over the past year it's astounding to the music that's coming out of this Flute. And as usual the more I play the more the Flute has to teach.

A very suitable past time for a warrior who prefers peace and follows the peaceful way of the Flute.

</font>

"Well both sides tried to claim me, but I was smart because,
"I played the flute or played the harp, depending where I was."
The Orange and the Green

=========================================

"... For Heaven's sake - we'll get it done in 7 days, however long it takes." God

Yvsa,
I fear that you have really done me in now
smile.gif
I guess its only fair since I told you about LAoutback for didjs
wink.gif
Those are BEAUTIFUL flutes! I don't have the money, but I want one NOW!!!!!!!! Oh Hell, I can sell a gun and buy one that way---ARGGGHHH! look what you're doing to me!! I just said I would SELL A GUN--those who know me know that those words are akin to treason to me
wink.gif

I have liked flutes ever since I was a young boy. I bought a cheap bamboo flute in a giftshop somewhere, and I used to play it everywhere. Didn't know any "songs", and that was the best part. I would sit and play for what seemed like hours. Ya know, those times are what I always think of whenever you talk about the flute taking you places or speaking to your soul. Similiar to what folks who medititate are talking about when they say they travel within themselves, into a great emptiness, but experience only a feeling of peace and harmony.

Which one would you recommend for a beginner? I do tend to like deeper tones.
I fear that it is out of my hands now--I must buy one! Will you support my addiction with recommendations on books, tapes, and techniques? Thanks in advance.

ROb

:
Oh MY!!!!!!! What have I Done and in all innocence too!!!
biggrin.gif

Alan sounds like you're thinking correctly now.
biggrin.gif

I had to go back to the website to familiarize myself with Odell's models once again and found that the Golden Eagle Flute comes in the key of F#.
I have an F# Flute in Cherry wood made by Butch Hall out of Texas, don't know if he has a website, and his Flutes are comparable to Odell's.
My F# has a fairly deep sound for a Flute that's as short as it is, but it also reaches a pretty high note on its upper key. I "think" maybe that Odell's Eagle Flute is a bit longer than the one I have.
I don't recall playing one of Odell's Eagle Flutes, but it is the one I would recommend for a couple of reasons.

#1- It is a six hole Flute and the 3rd hole from the top can be covered with a piece of leather so it can be played as a 5 hole model.
The 3rd hole is a half note and can be achieved with the 5 hole Flute by different fingering, at least I "think" that the 3rd hole will be the half note. It is on the Condor Flute. And when you're ready to advance to the 6 hole Flute it will be ready for you to do so.
smile.gif

#2- This Flute will cover the range of tones most often associated with the Indin Flute.
I most often take my F# Flute into the Sweatlodge because it does have the range most associated with most ndn music.

Rob I would also recommend this one for you as well.
biggrin.gif

And selling one gun won't hurt, much, anyway.
biggrin.gif

And as far as any list of songs or books and such it sounds as if you were on the right track with the little bamboo model you have/had?
I also go along with what Odell says in his little booklet about having songs written down. The songs were passed down from one generation to the next since there wasn't any way to write them down and new songs come each time you play the
Flute.
Many time people will ask me the name of a song and I tell them....
"It's The Song On The Wind."
biggrin.gif

And it is as all the songs are in reality.
It is only when something extra special happens like with the hummingbird that I actually name a song like "The Dance Of The Hummingbird."
But I do have a couple of small books with some fingering charts for different songs that I could copy and send your's and Alan's way.
biggrin.gif

But that doesn't mean they will match the Flute you have.
The Condor Flute will play a couple of them okay, but isn't keyed right for the other songs.
Just remember that I run on ndn time and that it may take a little while for me to get things done.
smile.gif

Rusty my Bro you said in another post something about not wanting to kill anyone anymore.
I also gave up that "want" right after or soon after the Flute first came to me.
The Flute as well as an Elder and Flute Carrier taught me that the way of peace is the _desire_ to not fight or kill anyone anymore and that that was the way of all true warriors.
But it still remains that sometimes we must fight and even kill in order to have that kind of peace.
When it is time to do battle the true warrior approaches it with great sorrow and regret.
And that's the reason that the
"true war dance" of our people of long ago was a very slow and sad dance and not the foot stomping, twirling, fast, angry, dance that the non-ndns came to expect and even demand.
(We knew there was going to be death and destruction and loved ones lost to us until we would meet them again on our own journey towards the stars.)
It seems they thought we had to work ourselves up to a fighting frenzy, not true. We just done what we felt had to be done at the time.
And it was often the example of our enemies that we followed when the most outrages destruction occured.
I pray I never have to hurt or kill anyone anymore and if I do have to it would be done with the utmost regret and sorrow, but I also know that I have that potential if needed.
And that's why the true warrior always desires peace above all else.
It is pure hell on us to unleash our other side.

Yvsa, who has spoken maybe more than he should in a public place.

------------------
Yvsa.

Yvsa,
Thanks. again.

I understand how you feel about speaking your mind in a public place. But when you speak my friend, I learn alot. So for my sake I hope you don't censor yourself too much!

BTW I was brought up to call anyone older(or wiser) than me, Mr.---, or Sir, or in Hawaii to call an elder Uncle----, or Tutu----(grandmother for ex.). So, even though we don't follow that custom on the forum, Please consider the respect present in all my posts.

This in without a doubt a great forum
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MauiRob (edited 06-05-2001).]

You did not say too much - but rather just enough.

Ghost once said you cant know your own culture til you know another. Many cultures teach the same truths, and we dont listen to those of our own til we hear it from that other culture. What a shame we can't learn them as our parents wanted and desperately tried to teach us, to spare us much grief.

Rusty:

Ghost's observation couldn't be more true. I think one aspect of "waking up" at a later age is that whatever our beginning culture and however well meant our parents/mentors were, there was always a flavor of "us" and "them" about it, intentional or not.

Later in life, if we are lucky enough to learn about "them", we find they is "us", as Walt Kelly said years ago.

Yvsa,

Thanks again for your help. I went back and checked Odell's site again (love to listen to his audio... especially last night). My heart still is drawn to the Condor in D, and also the E version (which Odell says is easier to play). But I will try and do this right and start with the Eagle in F...

As a bonus, they are giving away a beginners video during the month of June to all purchasers of a flute. I didn't look, but the video should be good resource to have.

I also check to see if I could get the tourquois inlay for what I would pay for the Condor...
biggrin.gif
Yep!

I really love this forum. All the knowledge and wisdom (and humor) of the members of this community have kept me going through a particularly bad time. Even though I haven't officially been baptized with my first kuk (I live through Walosi), I feel connected with everyone who posts here about their first purchase (and look forward to the day that I get mine).

Alan

------------------
When all else fails...JSTF
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ACStudios (edited 06-05-2001).]

Yvsa,
I have decided to get the Golden Eagle in F# as you recommend. I will have to part with my "James Bond gun" my Walther PP, but I think that this flute will bring me(and my family--well after alot of practice--till then probably just headaches
smile.gif
) much more pleasure. I'm not normally very good at taking advice, normally I do what I want and then kick myself later for not listening in the first place. This time I'll skip the self-kicking and listen for a change!
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep you posted on my progress in getting the flute
smile.gif

Rob

:
Dayum!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I don't know what too think!!!!
biggrin.gif

Two youngens paying attention to their elder in one day, just how good can it get?!?!?!?!?
biggrin.gif

This has to be a first!!!!

Alan there's different strokes for different folks, but I didn't care for the turquoise inlay on a Flute, but love it on khukuri handles.
And yet I do have one that's inlayed with abalone shell I think. The inlay is in the shape of bear tracks and had a carved woden bear claw for the fetish.
And it's the reason I will never loan out another Flute.Ever!!!!
frown.gif

Rob it's too bad that Odell doesn't have a trade in policy like Uncle Bill does. That would be the best of both worlds.
biggrin.gif

And I have a feeling that you and the Flute will get along well.
Drop me an e-mail and I will tell you something else about the Flute.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Yvsa.

Thanks Yvsa!

Email has been sent.

Gradually as I get older I seem to be able to listen a little more and make decisions based on others' experience--re-inventing the wheel is hard work. Once you realize that you're not invincible/infallible, you realize that it pays to listen to those that are years ahead of you on the path. Course I still do impulsive stupid things, but now I realize it afterwards
smile.gif
LOL!

There is something elemental and very connected between Khukuri's and Flutes.

I'm going to talk to Odell about some commissions for Yvsa.

Guys, the Flute will bring something into your life beyond price.

For those who can't sing worth a hoot, this is a way to get away with it without having stuff thrown at you.

------------------
"To Know and to Act are One"

[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 06-06-2001).]

F# is an odd key in Western music; if you want to play with other instrumentalists they'll have great difficulty -- especially if you want to play with guitarists. Tell the average guitarist you want to play a song in F# next and he'll just laugh ... he won't even try.

D or A or E would be good if you want to play with guitars. Bb or Eb if you want to play jazz, with saxophones and trumpets. If you want to do both choose C or a key close it, F or G.

Now I suppose I really ought to explain why the key of F is close to the key of C and the key of F# isn't ... I don't think I can do that right now; I'm tired ... and I'm not at all sure I should explain it on this forum at all; it's complicated and even though as Bill says everything relates to khukuris ... some things are more related to khukuris than others....
smile.gif

Earlier today I wrote a post for the Survival forum about the three different kinds of radioactive decay -- started out only wanting to tell people Glow Rings are not dangerously radioactive, but in order to do that with any credibility I had to explain a lot of stuff that is not normally encountered on the Survival forum ... or I felt I had to, anyway ... maybe they would have just taken my word for it ... maybe they would have been happy to take my word for it than read all about what an alpha ray is, what a beta ray is, neutrinos, conservation of charge, etc. etc. Anyway I'm afraid I've used up my quota of off-topic technicalities for the day.
smile.gif

------------------
-Cougar :{)
Use of Weapons

Back