Great Gelbu Special by Kesar. Pix. Save fifty bucks.

Thank You, Elder Bro.

I will make sure the old clairseach is tuned up for your arrival. There will be a lot of music to make, and khukuris to test.

[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 06-27-2001).]

I just wished to say thanks to all the forumites who rekindled my interest in the didjeridoo. Hadn't played in a couple years, but a few days after this thread, someone threw out a number of (2"-4"dia. x 10') long bamboo poles. Found a decent one and began working on it with a half-round coarse file attached to a broom handle. It had many (1/4" x 12"-18") full thickness splits in the wood (dried out!) that I sealed with clear caulking. Then 15 coats of polyurethane were applied to make it airtight. A bees-wax, dip and shaped mouthpiece finished it :). Its a long didj (75") with a DEEP drone. May need to shorten it to get a better tonal quality? But anyway, it feels really good to play again. While not an very musical instrument, the didjeridoo is an extremely spiritual one.

Also wanted to share some links (some of these may have been shared before?):
Resource Center
Instructional page
Making an Agave didjeridoo
Mouthpieces
didjeridooleft.gif
didjeridooline.gif
didjeridooline.gif
didjeridooline.gif
didjeridooline.gif
didjeridooline.gif
didjeridooline.gif
didjeridooright.gif

Hey Bill, Glad to hear that you are getting back into didj:D

It is a fun and relaxing hobby.

If you want to do some drooling, check out this site:

www.laoutback.com . They have excellent Eucalyptus didjs made by Aborigines. I have 3 of their didjs and they are GREAT! The best value are the Eucs that are just sanded and finished, besides I personally prefer the look to painted anyway! However, when you are on the site check out the Raw didjs--these are hollowed out and fully functional, they just need a mouth piece (which Laoutback will do for $10.00 if you want), and whatever type of finish/paint job you want to do. I have one of those that I got for $145.00, and the sound is comparable to a much more expensive didj:D

BTW, there is an excellent instructional video that is well worth the money by Chris Adnam that you will find on that site. It takes you step by step from the very beginning, up to very advanced play. I watch it from time to time and always pick up something new. ALSO, the didj bags by Earthshaking Music that they carry are extremely well made.

Believe it or not, I don't work for Laoutback, or get a commission:D :D LOL!

OH, the didj you made sounds really cool.:) You may want to shorten it only for ease of playing. If you are interested in learning some techniques, the longer deeper didjs are more difficult to play in general. I've heard some people use a guitar tuner to get the right key. ITs tricky to trim one to an exact key, but with all the work you put into it already I'm sure you have the patience to do it!:)

Back