Gurkha Khukuri Training

Hi guys,
A contradiction it is. My first research indicated again and again that there was no formal training. In response about Col Corrigan I again checked my reliable sources in the UK: a retired officer and historian from the 10th GR who also is connected to the repository of such information, The Gurkha Museum in Winchester.
The quote was his but there is still no official posting or directive about actual kukri training of any type. That is why I am interested in hearing what the article is about as are the folks in Winchester. These are also the same people who are trying dispel the Dr Gyi myth.

Sorry for the confusion and as always I will try to reliably bring you what I know concerning matters of a historical nature concerning 'our' knives.

------------------
JP

Who would've thought this would be such an elusive topic?! However long it takes, the answers will be well worth the wait. Thanks to all who've been so willing to share what they know and look for more resources. You're sure teaching me lots along the journey that wouldn't have come up in a concise answer.

Also, a huge thanks to PipeyCain for starting this thread, and to all contributors. After going back through all the GH Forum thread titles, it's obvious this is the very first one to make it to 100! Nothing else is even close, and there is a notable lack of one-liners and chit-chat. Even with the great amount and quality of info here, it's still goin' strong. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you everyone for this great thread! Craig, I did it for you man (DO I get some kind of free GH Prizes??!!!) Lt Dan thanks for seeing me through the rough times on this thread. Sir John Powell, Any contradictions you have are all welcomed here. Lets shoot for 200!! Cheers!

PipeyCain, you are the THREADMIESTER!!! All I've got are lots questions, and the most obnoxious one about formal Gurkha khukuri training still stands. So does my offer to eat the hottest curry recipe you can find if the answer turns out negative. And contradictions help make things interesting along the way. (It's all good!)

As for 200, why not? This comes as no surprise because you like to see things through...plow clean to the fence, so to speak. You give your CO reason to be proud, sir.

Let the big dog eat!

[This message has been edited by Lt. Dan (edited 03-24-2001).]

Thank you Lt Dan. I havent heard from my Brit Friends because they are in Dubai for the last coupl of months. This has nothing to do with Khukuri Training but I thought it was interesting. At Catterick Garrison (Where the Gurkha Training Wing is)_The local TESCOs (a British Grocery store chain) has to keep more than its normal supply of Basmati rice for all the Gurkha families living near by. Cheers!

Trained to be Cheerful...

Pipeycain, thanks for the update on your Brit buddies. It will be good to hear about what they have to say when you catch up with them.

Interesting about the rice...I wonder if your curry recipe calls for anything special, such as Basmati. After all, I wouldn't want to mess it up with some homeboy ingredient substitution. (The time may be coming for me to research the threads for the recipe you posted awhile back.)

"Where I come from it's cornbread and chicken...a lot of front porch sittin'." (Sorry about that, but Alan Jackson might like khukuris, too.) ....Dan

[ 03-26-2001: Message edited by: Lt. Dan ]

Pipey: In recognition of the longest GH thread to date, started by you, I hereby award you a $30.00 gift certificate you can use toward any khukuri or accessory in our inventory. It's here when you want it, so no rush! Again, congratulations! (and thank Lt Dan - the award was his idea, and I want to give credit where credit is due).

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig and Lt Dan Thank you so much for the prize for this BF forum thread. I had no idea how much interest this would generate. I was actually just playing around about recieving some sort of prize for this thread (it seems everybody wants something for nothing)In any event, I thank you Craig and Lt. Dan.
Craig I thank you again for creating such a business that caters to Strange people such as myself! I wish you continued success. I hope to add more information from my contacts in the UK in the future. Thank you again and Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post anything that helped the subject along.Cheers!

Trained to be cheerful.....

You guys are among the greatest. I mean, just listen to yourselves! Thank you...oh nooo, thank yoouuu...but it really wasn't me, it was so-and-so. What a way to conduct this very first Threadmiester Award!

So, in keeping with the spirit of things, I'd like to thank Craig for his astuteness and generosity in recognition of this historic moment. Nay, I'm unworthy of a single iota of glory in this, 'cause I got the idea from PipeyCain!! (Does "Do I get some kind of free GH prizes??!!" ring any bells?!)

Craig, you're the man! Forumites, you're giving us an outstanding education. And (lest I forget) Pipeycain, you're the ORIGINAL THREADMIESTER!!!

But some questions about formal Gurkha khukuri training are still lurking out there. Is it gonna take another 100 or what? ....Dan

Back