Gurkha Khukuri Training

Some great info here. Great to hear from folks from the other side of the pond too
smile.gif
Following on John Powell’s post about the “Khukuri Dance”, thought I’d put in my two cents worth. It might be a bit long-winded, so please bear with me.

As an army brat (or line boy in Gorkha Rifles parlance) growing up in Indian military cantonments, I’ve seen my share of the khukuri dance. The ones I’ve seen typically look like this:

A group of gorkhas jog in formation onto the field/stage counting cadence and holding a khukuri in their right hand and a buckler in their left (this “buckler” is only a small, round piece of plywood or other such material with the regimental insignia painted on the face and a handle to hold onto in the back). Once in the area, they fan out into several lines with appropriate spaces between each performer.

A group of singers on the side, sometimes accompanied by traditional musicians or the battalion pipe & drum band then begin singing and playing, at which moment the khukuri dance begins. The movements are, of course, dance-like, with a lot of khukuri twirlings, vigorous turns, swooping movements and feet-stomping, combined with khukuri slashes, thrusts and blocking movements with the buckler. The emphasis is on keeping together and looking good, rather than on the martial applications of the moves.

The song is usually “Mili jhuli aghi barho…” (Come together and move forward), a Nepali song which is sung to a tune very close to the Highland bagpipe tune, “The Regimental March” – in fact, come to think of it, it’s probably the Regimental March with a Nepali twist
smile.gif
The dance might be done to other songs, but this is the one I remember and associate with the khukuri dance.

Once the dance is complete, the group closes formation to cadence and marches out of the area to the tune of “Yo Nepali Seer Uchali …” (O Nepali with your held high …) another martial-sounding song that ends with the performers raising their khukuris and shouting several “Jai” (Hail or Victory) to the Regiment and various Gorkha deities.

The performers wear either the traditional Nepali dress or (more often) the PT dress of white pants, vests and canvas shoes. I’ve seen some performers wrap strips of white cloth around the cho-area of the khukuri to give their hands more room for play, especially during those twirling movements.

It’s a rousing performance and is always a big hit with the audience. The sun glinting on 50 or more khukuris as they are twirled overhead, sudden slashes accompanied by wicked-sounding “HUH-HUH” grunts from the performers … it never fails to impress the crowds! Of course, it's never taken as anything more than a "performance", something to impress an audience.

As for the training for this khukuri dance, I once asked my father about it. His unit, 2/1 Gorkha Rifles and another Gorkha battalion in the division, 5/8 GR, were giving a combined khukuri dance performance. I asked him if it wouldn’t be a problem for the two teams to perform the same movements and his reply: “Naah, it’s the same stuff. They’re all taught the same thing up in the regimental center…” Sadly, I did not ask for any further info (this happened about 10-11 years ago and he passed away almost 3 years ago). However, since 1GR and 8GR have separate regimental centers (14GTC in Shimla, northwestern India and 58GTC in Shillong, extreme northeastern India), the fact that they’re still taught “the same thing” must mean that there is a khukuri-dance program, at least in several regiments of the Indian Gorkhas. Now, I don’t know how similar or different it is from that done by folks in the British Gurkhas, but for those of you that have seen the “Elite Forces: Gurkha” video, the little khukuri dance shown there is quite different from what I’ve described above. That one is a regular Nepali "Jhauri" dance done with knukuris in hand – perhaps a different version …

I should have a picture somewhere, I can’t post pics, so if I find it, I think I’ll make copies and send to John Powell – if that’s OK with you, John.

- Sonam

[This message has been edited by gtkguy (edited 02-02-2001).]

Sonam,
It is always a pleasure to hear from you. And you were there so have first hand knowledge.

I will look for your next message.

Can I post that terrific drawing you did for me a while back?

------------------
JP

Sonam, Thank you for your interesting post. We look foward to anything else you may care to share with us. Cheers!

Craig, Lt. Dan, PipeyCain, and all else interested.......

On the subject of Khukuri training:

Some of the philippino systems of knife/sword-fighting, might lead to some knowledge of how to use a khukuri-type knife in combat. The Barong and the Bolo, are both heavy broad bladed knifes that have characteristics similar to a Khukuri.

Anyway, I guess there are only so many ways to handle a knife of a specific weight and size.
The philippinos have made an art of using them all in combat, and are in my humble opinion surpassed by none in the understanding of this topic.

I have studied the Doce-Pares system for a time now, and in my past I have also practiced in the LAMECO-Escrima system. I consider myself a novice, but I am still training hard to reach a higher level of knowledge in this martial branch.

But even at my (beginning) level of skill/understanding of knife-fighting, I believe that in order to gain the most efficient practical skill, one must seek out the knowledge of someone who have spent a lifetime trying to systemize techniques and tactical skill, to form a complete system of training. That does not mean that I believe the knowledge of the Nepali People to be inefficient. It only suggests that one will gain an advantage by training with a purpose, when trying to gain martial skills.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Seax

[This message has been edited by Seax (edited 02-14-2001).]

The Ghurkha charge is well documented.
Gee, it is written in letters for commendation.
I don`t think you need to train for that.
It`s all in the attitude.

Hello FNG:

I agree wholeheartedly that attitude is important. Technique is little worth in combat without willpower and a fighting spirit.

Still I would also claim that attitude alone is also insufficient. I have never tried but I guess that one cannot fly an aeroplane on attitude alone. And no matter what attitude you have, if that is all you got, fighting a skilled opponent (like a Philippino Escrimador), then your attitude better tell you to run. If your skill is insufficient and you still insist on closing the distance, the chances of getting yourself killed are great.

I also believe that the fighting prowess of the Ghurkha is well documented. I'm just suggesting that faith alone, sometimes may not move the mountain. And whatever combat scenario you find yourself in, your chances of survival will in my opinion be no better than your training.

Remember, training does not limit itself to physical techniques only. It should also incorporate some element of mental awareness.

Maybe the Ghurkha soldier lives in an environment that prepares him for a tough life. The Philippino certainly does. But still they have gained much knowledge through systematic training. That part is also well documented. After all, the U.S. Army changed the service sidearm calibre from 38 spec, to 45 ACP because of the deadly fighting ability of the Moro
warrior of the Philippines. The Moro had a lot of attitude, and combined that with tremendous skill and physique.

I guess the Moro and Ghurkha have many similarities.

That is why I believe the fighting techniques of the Philippino martial arts, may be of interest to anyone ready to attain the knowledge of how to handle a BIG
biggrin.gif
(Khukuri-type) knife.

But I see your point, FNG.

Seax

------------------
Walk on.

Sonam and Seax, I learn lots from reading posts like yours, and it's doubtful that this info would've come to me from another source. Such things may be old news to you, but of much interest to guys like me. Hope you'll keep it coming. Thanks big time.

Seax, it's been awhile, and I'm glad to see you posting again on the forum.

Greetings Dan:

I am glad you found the information interesting.

Been kind of busy lately, but this forum is far too interesting to leave alone. That is a direct result of people like you and Craig (and of course PipeyCain who started this topic).

By the way rest assured Dan, I take no knowledge like this for granted. We all have pieces of the big puzzle, so that if we try, we may create some useful wholeness.

You contribute a lot, and your posts are always a pleasure to read.
smile.gif

Seax

------------------
Walk on.

Thanks for the kind words, Lt. Dan and PipeyCain
smile.gif
Re: effectiveness of FMA, Seax, I hear you on that one. I've been impressed with what I've seen of SE Asian fighting arts, and in fact, am seriously considering expanding my training in that direction.

- Sonam

I am a Norsk too. The berserkers were more akin to the Ghurkah charge than any fancy tecnique.
A lot of folks have been hacked to death with entrenching tools.
If you grow up with a tool from the earliest age; you don`t need training to hack with it.
I have never heard of another combat history.
I do study my history.

Greetings FNG and all others. I'm in Alabama celebrating the completion of a Weapons of Mass Destruction Responder course I had the honor to attend this week. FNG, I agree with you on your latest post. But still pictures I have show"Khukuri Training". Still though, as you said if you are born with a weapon/tool...you will know how to use it....cheers

Gents, have just returned from the UK and spent time with a retired Gurkha Officer plus 2 Gurkha vets from Malaysia and WW II.
There is no combat training performed specifically for using the kukri.

None.

As has been stated the fact that these men are raised with this knife and are highly motivated in combat makes for a great weapon.

------------------
JP

FNG;

Hmmm.... never thought about comparing the Gurkhas to Viking warriors, but I sure find the comparison interesting indeed.

You have Norwegian roots FNG? Think I sense some Viking spirit in you.
smile.gif

Sonam;

I sure recommend it!

Seax

------------------
Walk on.

[This message has been edited by Seax (edited 02-16-2001).]

Ok warrior 11, Welcome to our discussion. Could you not be so enigmatic in the future...

Trained to be cheerful.....

No, could I be more vague, maybe.
But I believe John Powell would be the authority on this subject.
I will take his word anyway.
I have seen no substantiated reports to the contrary.

Well Thank you for not being so "Vague". We all recognize that John Powell is the "guru"on Khukuris and any related material...What will you dazzle us with next........Cheers!

Ditto. Pipey, glad you mad it back intact! How was the course?

[This message has been edited by Lt. Dan (edited 02-18-2001).]

I dont want to appear hawkish here but since I created this thread and it is one of the most popular in the GH forum I feel responsible for it... My Message is:
This is a thread about Khukuri Training and whether or not exists. I am tired of people using this thread to bash other people. Also vague comments about unrelated subjects do not belong here. If you feel that you must be weird...carry it some where else.
For those who give good posts on this thread ...keep up the good work Cheers!

Trained to be Cheerful...

By the way, the Army .38 was not the Spec. It was weaker.
And who made you HMFIC Pipey?
They dug out the 1873 SAA`s in .45 for a time.
This did lead to the greatest pistol to date; the 1911.
Until such time that we switch to partical beams, the pros will pack 1911`s.
I have been using the platform for close to 50 years.
I keep current in revolvers also.
The Moros were drugged and tied vines on their limbs to limit blood loss.
I`d say that they were dedicated.

[This message has been edited by Warrior 11 (edited 02-18-2001).]

Back