Gurkha Khukuri Training

If the Brit Ghurkas, or the India Ghorkas had such training, it would be in an FM, or TM.

As this does not exist, all you GI`s draw your own conclusions.

Again FNG, I have pictures of new Gurkhas practicing "a newly introduced Khukuri form. I got these photographs in a book from Craig. It is the official Gurkha Training Wing Year Book for 1999. I'm on a dedicated search for any British Army publication that shows this information. Argue against fact if you must......Cheers

PipeyCain, it looks as though you made a wise decision to get the Gurkha Training book. Somehow it found its best home.

What other interesting stuff lurks between its covers?

You've done good...Dan

[This message has been edited by Lt. Dan (edited 01-24-2001).]

FNG, you would be right if the training manuals were on general release. Most training wings produce course notes only, which are passed down. They are updated and reproduced each year, which also means that some information is lost. Those on the courses make their own aid memoirs from these notes and thats what they take back to their units; who also retrain the trained in their own ways!!

Old soldiers rarely ever pass on what they have learned the hard way. Even when they do, the stuff invariently collects dust. New boys have new ideas, which can only change through experience. Pria to D-Day our boys had had two years to train for it. Still a lot of men were lost on contact until they learnt better. Relations between the ground and air improved once those at the sharp end worked out a way to do it. Communication was simplified and more direct.

You would think that the SAS would know everything about desert survival because its in a manual. Wrong, they had to ring up some of their old boys to get up to speed. If you read Bravo Two Zero you would know that they got it wrong big time. However, its the whole training package that makes any unit any good. Its like pulling teeth to get any Gucci kit, so most training consists of getting on with it. However, someone knows how somewhere. What I'm trying to get to is that there is only so much one can gain from a manual.

Saw a picture in a news paper last week of Gurkha recruits practicing kukri drills at Caterick (wet and cold). Someone knows what to do. Gurkha's have their own ways of doing things. They have done a lot of fighting over the years and are pretty good at it.

Frankly, knives are very low on the list of British Army priorities. Brits rarely ever even train, let alone carry, pistols. Personal weapon is the assault rifle with plenty of ammo (pistols are not ammo efficient/weight). Next the ability to call down a fire mission; then grenades. Support weapons and communications win battles. Training and brains gets you through combat.

When I see a Gurkha next, I'll ask. It might take some time though.

[This message has been edited by GREENJACKET (edited 01-25-2001).]

Green Jacket! Good to hear from you. I wish you could post that picture you saw to me or Craig. I visited Catterick back in August and got to see Gurkhas playing foot ball(Soccer to you non traveled Americans) and spoke with a number of them then, but I did not think to ask "hey is there a book on how to swing that Head chopper of yours?" any way Keep us informed. Cheers!

Greenjacket and PipeyCain: You guys are providing a look into another world. I can't thank you enough for your posts, and I can only hope you'll continue. EXCELLENT!!!

Likewise! You guys are awesome. Regarding Dr. Gyi, has anybody else heard that some of his lineage has been questioned?

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Thank you Lt.Dan and Craig! I humble myself before thee.... I have vision...yes a vision of some British Army booklet on how to employ the Kukri with usual dreadful lethalness. I bet this booklet is lying arount in North Yorkshire at Caterick garrison. I have my agents there (two small unit tactics instructors) looking for it. They are very busy with other stuff though.But at least they are trying.

Oh, PipeyCain! Surely it is YOU who speak words of knowledge and understanding of the the Gurkha and his khukuri. I sit at your feet, waiting and longing for instruction. This forthcoming revelation is showing me that my ignorance is NOT a virtue.

Let's aim high here. In addition to the literature search, I wonder if you, Greenjacket, or anybody else out there could point a camcorder in the general direction of a Gurkha using his khukuri(?).

Craig, does Lalit have access to video taping? Surely he and some other former (or current) Gurkhas could cover the basics on video.

Excellent point Lt. Dan!! Why dont we get Craig to make us a video of current or retired hill boys striking at straw tagets or just the air itself.Craig can do anything!As for my friends in Caterick....I dont know if I would ask them to show up where ever the boys practice kukri forms and start video taping them....You know what I mean...
A pint of Ale is waiting for me and Im going out to eat Thai curry tonight.Cheers!!!

Hiring a Nepali to hack at something? Hack yourself. Reverse grip? Have fun. Gyi? Where are the Combat Awards that I have. I do not see them. Why do I not know you?

Stick with The Dali Lama should you seek enlightenment. You will find none here.

What govt. awarded them? Did Gyi? Who awards my CIB.? My Silver Star and lesser things.

To what point? Hire Cliff. He is better than most.

Forget what you would like to hear.

Khukuri is just that. A utility knife that is effective in combat if well motivated Warriors have wrapped a hand around it`s grip.

Does any of this mean crap anymore?

Who cares?

What lineage? At best, Gyi is WW 11,a Burmese. My Dad is dead. He was WW11; Naval Aviator; dead. I know those who fought in Burma. What is Gyi a Doctor of; philosophy, md., self appointed? How many doctorates are out there?

Balderdash; I say!

I think that I will upgrade my Master`s from UC. Itdon`t mean nothin` nohow.

Once again; who cares?

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 01-27-2001).]

Thanks for the update on UK defiencies Greenjacket.

We have been disscussing our own here.

Same thing. Poor individual and small unit skills. Let`s just call in a fire mission. Yeha, right! That will make up for no skill with your personal weapons.

It never hurts to be reminded.

FNG: Maybe a lot is being lost in the translation to printed word here. But, with all due respect, sir, your post seems unnecessarily negative. The khukuri and Gurkha methods of using them are not born of western military thinking. Greenjacket and PipeyCain bring access to knowledge that you and most of us lack. I think this is a situation when it's best to listen and learn in the absence of knowledge. Perhaps wisdom is silence in this case, sir.

I may be wrong,but have no ticket to punch.

The U.S. Armed forces are concerned about neglect to training.

Even the Marines can not get ammo and range time. This is their reason for being.

You are on your own, once again.

Practice perfectly.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 01-28-2001).]

Hi Sam B. Welcome and thanks for the informative link and debunking. There could be good reason why Dr. Gyi is new to me.

My civillian job entails working closely with world-renowned "experts" in their specialties. There are those of wonderful character, and then the others. But even they agree that being correct about something never justifies bad manners or rudeness to others. No matter how wise one is in his own eyes, we're ALL mentally retarded when compared to the Almighty.

My post yesterday was in regard to Greenjacket and PipeyCain. Their input seems to be genuine, so it's good to encourage their input and see what comes of it. The playing field is level here.

Respectfully intended....Dan

Back