Gurkha Khukuri Training

After recieving the most excellent Gurkha Training wing Yearbook from Craig I noticed the new intake of Gurkhas in one photograph practicing a type of fighting style with their khukuris and I noticed a couple of ways to "tacticalize" khukuris as well. I guess the photographs I have dispell prior reports that Gurkhas have no orgainized training program for Khukuri fighting. Thanks again Craig...Good Hunting!

I'd like to hear some about tacticalizing....

------------------
boys newer grow up,it's only their toys getting more expensive....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sgt.D:
I'd like to hear some about tacticalizing....

</font>
Sgt D It looks like they (the Gurkhas)wrap tape around the handles and fashion some sort of sheath cover out of DPM Camoflage material. It looked to me like any way a Gurkha wanted to "tacticalize" his Khukuri he could. Keep checking the Gurkha House Web site and Forum. I think Craig is going to have lots of good things related to this subject. Thanks for your response Cheers PipeyCain

For Khukuri training, try to attend one of Dr. Gyi's seminars. One of the guys in our Modern Arnis school attended the one that was held in NYC. He said they practiced different cutting methods(forward & reverse grip, etc.) and striking angles. They also practiced using the khururi from the prone position. They were also shown pictures of Japanese soldiers that were killed by the khukuri.

------------------
K. Williams
Modern Arnis Student
AKTI Member #A000978

[This message has been edited by K Williams (edited 12-17-2000).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by K Williams:
For Khukuri training, try to attend one of Dr. Gyi's seminars. One of the guys in our Modern Arnis school attended the one that was held in NYC. He said they practiced different cutting methods(forward & reverse grip, etc.) and striking angles. They also practiced using the khururi from the prone position. They were also shown pictures of Japanese soldiers were killed by the khukuri.

Ive been trying to find out about Dr Gyi and his training courses. As for pictures of dead Japanese soldiers killed by kukris...oh well they got just what they deserved....Id love to see those pictures Im in the Medical/public safety profession and dont think those pictures would be anything worse than I have already seen in reallife.

</font>

PipeyCain:

What kind of tape do you think they use?

I have seen this topic somewhere before, but know not where. Can anybody give some advice? I was considering this for my SN1, since it digs into my palm a bit.

Seax

------------------
Walk on.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seax:
PipeyCain:

What kind of tape do you think they use?

I have seen this topic somewhere before, but know not where. Can anybody give some advice? I was considering this for my SN1, since it digs into my palm a bit.
Well Seax I cannot tell exactly what tape it is I see on their Kukri handles, but it looks like military "100"mile an hour tape on one handle in a two inch type wrap. Cheers PipeyCain
Seax

</font>

I need to call Dr. Gyi. I haven't spoken with him in a couple of years, and would like to get my hands on those pics for a look-see.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I've "tacticalized" the scabbard to my one and so for only khukri.I made a cover in olivegreen canvas-like cloth.Now I don't have to worry that much about the beautiful scabbard.I took off the brass chape first and glued a on a piece of lether,on the cloth, to protect the point of the scabbard.
No permanent damage is done to the scabbard.

Merry Cristmas
Daniel

There is no evidence of ghurka khukukri training. Giy is from Burma.

I saw him teaching Rangers in Soldier Magazine and they wrote that he was a retired Gurkha Soldier.

I read in Byron's "The Gurkhas" that one of the Gurkhas who won the Victoria Cross during WWII was actually from (IIRC) Sikkham (sp). He changed his name in order to pass for a Nepali and was enlisted. Enlistment requirements were relatively lax during WWII. Gyi may have been from a Gurkha family living in Burma who passed the entry trials and was enlisted. No disrespect meant for Dr. Gyi or anyone else. My guess on Gyi is just that, a guess. Anyone who can correct me please do so.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Big Bob (edited 01-10-2001).]

This is a small world. Someone knows more about it. That is what I heard; not much.

Some legend of medals earned, but no proof, or from what govt.

I think it all B.S.

I used to talk to a Bando guy, but after some pointed questions, he quit talking to me.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 01-12-2001).]

What ever the case may be....I just would like to learn how to use my Khukuri in TRUE Gurkha style and they do teach that in the Gurkha Training Wing.

PipeyCain (and all else), I'm also VERY interested in learning to use the khukuri in true Gurkha fashion, and not like some homeboy. Any and all such info is MOST WELCOME.

Me too. Dr. Gyi was supposedly assigned to Chesty Puller personally during the Korean War and was one of his interrogators. Shared a tent with the fellow. How's that for interesting!

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

And in response to whether Gurkhas go to Sandhurst, this was emailed to me by somneone.

This information is from a former Gurkha Officer who is now a very respected
author/historian and a consultant to museums plus being one the regimental
historians at the Gurkha Museum in Winchester, England.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Yes, a few Gurkhas have been going to Sandhurst since the late 1950s (I have
the
medals of one of the first two to attend ). They have exactly the same
status as
British officers. Lack of education has prevented more taking this route in
the
past. The rest come up through the ranks, some just achieving Queen's Gurkha
Officer (QGO) status (attending special courses before and after
commissioning),
and some becoming Gurkha Commissioned Officers (GCOs) and moving to the
British
officers' mess with full status. It's all rather complex, and I suspect
changing
now -- I heard talk of fast tracking some. You need to talk to someone who
is
still serving really -- I could be giving you out-of-date information.
</font>

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I've got this photograph in the Gurkha Training Wing Year Book (Thanks to Craig) that shows Gurkhas in a sort of formation in Camo with their belt kit on(LBE to you non traveled americans) and they are brandishing their khukuries in a foward slash. The caption reads that they are practicing newly introduced khukuri fighting form.
In another photograph I found a Gurkha in Nepalese Dress performing with a Khukuri at the British Army Tae Kwon Do Competition. So where are they getting their form and training from? I want to know!

[This message has been edited by PipeyCain (edited 01-14-2001).]

Some enterprising forumite might write a letter to Sandhurst to inquire about that. Perhaps they are being taught by senior Gurkhas - sort of an "institutional memory" passed on from former color sergeants and such.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Sgt.D, most scabards I've seen were covered in some DPM tape bought from the NAFFI. I've seen some with cloth from an old combat jacket just glued on. Recently, with the new combat '95 webbing system, I've seen some cordura sheaths. www.sass-kit.fsbusiness.co.uk has DPM covers which may be even the ones on issue??

Training, other than normal combat training I'm not entirely sure of. There must be some in house stuff if only to stop those who were not brought up with kukris damaging themselves.

There is not much to the Gurkha secret. Take a young man from the hills, bring him up to speed on European weapon systems under the best and most intelligent leadership you have. (This includes some sound education and a good dollop of tradition). Coop him up doing some guard duty at Buckingham Palace, or demonstrating "how it should be done" on the hills of Wales (cold and wet) and in the jungles of Belize (hot and wet). Then when you do have an enemy, just let'em at'em under control to do their job. When the bullets and bombs have run out, (which Gurkha's are very adept at using), they have a kukri to cleave off any remaining offending limbs and heads. All this and still smiling. The Gurkha: a very up to date and efficient mercenary fighting system.

Lasty, the British Army has training pamphlets on most things. The cavalry can still be tought how to use a lance. I am sure the Gurkha's do have a basic course for kukri use. However, like most things in the British Army, more advanced stuff is done by those who want to do it and there are those who can teach it. There is time in the training programme for it. My thoughts are that in the case of a Kukri, which is a bludgeon weapon, a fighting cleaver, there is probably not that much to it other than be fit, agile and coordinated enough to work it fast. Gurkha's are fit, agile and coordinated.

[This message has been edited by GREENJACKET (edited 01-16-2001).]

Back