Gurkha Khukuri Training

FNG...I declare you off on a tangent! What are you talking about in your last post? We are talking about Gurkhas and Khukuris. However, as a current member of the armed forces, I agree with you about how screwed up things have gotten. Why don't you spew your venom to the pentagon. They may want to hear what you have to say....Cheers!

Getting back to topic here re: Gurkha training manuals, here is something from a former Gurkha Officer and one of the Gurkha Museums historians:

There has never been a training manual for the kukri as far as I know. There was
an attempt to invent a whole martial arts/mystical thing around the kukri a few
years ago, but it was bogus. I'll tell you about it when we meet.

As far as I know, it is simply a matter of: you learn the most efficient way of
chopping brushwood etc (and probably slaughtering goats and pigs) with a kukri
in the normal course of growing up then working as a farmer in the hills, then
there is nothing very different about chopping at the human body, except the
ferocity of the approach.

Some regiments do `kukri dances' which include ritualised cutting gestures in
various directions, but I don't know who devised these or when. 2 GR and the
Gurkha Transport Regiment used to do this in my day, but the other regiments
looked down on it as ridiculous.

------------------
JP

John, Thank you for replying in my post! You are my role model when it comes to Khukuris and Gurkhas. I hope to meet you some day! I am looking forward to your book as well. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom. Cheers!

Now, John makes sense; although making sense is an overrated virtue, and we all know him to be an expert.

Who are you gonna believe?

Gee, if someone can find something credible to the contrary, I am all ears.

I should tell you of my E-Tool traing. Samo-samo; absurd!

We did have some.

Just don`t give me this esoteric crap.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 01-31-2001).]

If you want to spew venom at the pentagon, waiting `till you are not subject to UCMJ might be a good idea.

Absent death or court martial, that will be awhile.

Been away up to Scotland for some shooting.

Though my old Battalion (I'm out now), is affiliated with the Gurkha Regiments (light infantry and share several traditions and similar uniforms), I have only a passing knowledge of their traditions. Same infantry training, have been taught and taught them. So there is a limit to what I can add. (I'm not going to give out the whole British Army Infantry syllabus, so don't ask). However, I can tell you Gurkhas do produce the best curry in Wales from a ration pack.

Couple of points:

FNG, "poor individual small unit skills" My soldiers individual skills were very high, but to win a fire fight let alone a battle takes hours and loads of ammunition even when you do try to conserve it with fire control orders. Every rifleman knows how to put down a support fire mission because invariably its Rifleman Snotgrass who is in the best position to see where it should go.

Comparing different armies is always difficult as most have the good, bad and ugly. Cultural, and all that jazz adds to the confusion.

A general point. Most clan systems have jousting rules to prove a point without excessive deaths. Not unlike most Friday nights. The Gurkha village battles of yore, though brutish, did not entail too many fatalities. Deaths led to blood feuds that could last generations. This could be possibly one of the reasons long swords were not developed or carried to every fight. Nor an all out marial art for the kukri. Don't take this as gospel though.

Sorry, but most of my reference material is boxed up as I'm on the move. There is lots of Gurkha history out there in Military history book shops. General Slim and anything to do with the Chindits of WWII is good stuff.
Recently, they have been busy in Bosnia, Kosovo, Siere Lione, and Indonesia. Frankly, they have been working flat out in the last couple of years.

GREENJACKET, thank you for the insight. What have you seen of Gurkhas training with the khukuri? Is there any form of technique, or do they just have at it, with any old way they choose being acceptable?

A truck load of ammo will do no good if it is not delievered on the target.

Only the hits count.

I am becoming a bit bored with those who think otherwise.

We have proved our position on this.

Over and over; what do you want?

No, you haven`t lost me. I am from the old school. You would have to kill me.

The stakes are not that high here.

It is only virtual.

Glad to be able to add something.

Lt. Dan: I don't think the RSM cares how you cave in an enemy's head. The Gurkhas are very stealthy naturally, and patient with it.

The last time I was assaulted, on exersice by Gurkhas, they had fixed swords (bayonets). My thoughts at the time was that the only reason they didn't stick their swords into me was because they had been told not to. I got my revenge a couple of days later when I ambushed a couple (very tired, wet and freezing Gurkhas they were too). We all had a laugh later though, all smiles as the games were over.

For peace keeping, drawing a Kukri is ideal for quieting an over boistrous crowd situation. Better than guns and shooting over peoples heads. People tend to pay attention to a platoon of small smiling Gurkhas with drawn kukris
smile.gif

I don't know anything about Dr. Gyi, but I'm not surprised that someone is trying to coin into the Gurkha theme/myths. However, I did hear of a British Security company hiring X Gurkhas as body guards for Hollywood stars. For a Gurkha the pay would be great, and I hear that the hiring of them is quite fashionable. The only down point, that I can think of, is that Gurkhas do get homesick.

That will be all from me for a while, but I'll click in if I dig up something interesting.

Soldiers do not get home sick for 20-30 yrs.

Warriors never do.

I am just looking for the truth. Not unlike Diogenes.

We know the truth. Let it shine.

The fame of the Gurka soldier,because of the Brits, is timeless now.

We all know what they are famous for.

This is probably a one trick pony. That is all there is.

Sometimes things are just the way they seem to be.

Green Jacket Thanks for the interesting story. I hope you can give us more like that in the future. Also we will take any Gurkha Curry recipes you might have. Cheers

GREENJACKET and PipeyCain: A little help, please. While there may be no official Gurkha khukuri training manual, what about Pipey's opening post to this thread? Is there REALLY no method to khukuri use? Otherwise, it's implied there is at least as much technique with the U.S.M.C. Ka-Bar! (Say it ain't so!) BTTT!!!!

Last word,
I'm speculating now, until I get it from the horses mouth.
There is a ceremonial "present arms" drill for the parade ground. Gurkha drill is light infantry done at speed.
Fighting moves with a kukri are probably based on sabre slashing strokes. After all the kukri is quite a heavy weapon and would work best with a straight arm swinging motion for maximum impact. A cavalry curved sable has similarities; different strokes for different attacks and target areas. Tennis racket strokes are not that miles apart. You could probably add some F/S smatchet ground fighting to this.
Sorry, I've never stood in for a leason, but I'm sure as a "concurrent activity" there is some system practiced; for aggression therapy is in the syllabus (as in bayonet practice Aaaaaah!!!
mad.gif
eek.gif
).

That all from me now.

GREENJACKET: Hoo-ah! What I'm looking for here is the how and what of the Gurkhas' khukuri system. "Concurrent Activity" or whatever name you want to stick on it suits me just fine. Can you look into this for us?! (and would there be a way to expose some video tape to their basics?)

Okay, I accept that some have opined that no such Gurkha khukuri training exists, but let's look into it. And if I'm wrong in my persistence of this issue, I'll eat the hottest Gurkha curry recipe that PipeyCain or anybody else can dig up, along with all of by obnoxious posts!!! Do we have a deal, FNG?

Back