Hapstone V6 - new knife sharpener on the US market

If you get it I would love to hear what you think about it and the clamp system.

If you get it I would love to hear what you think about it and the clamp system.
I ordered it. When it comes in I'll post my thoughts here. I'm a maker and like using a guided system to establish the initial edge so I can tell the customer exactly what angle the edge is set at.
Bigger knives needed something sturdier and I'm hoping this fits the bill.

Are the abrasive plate clamps really able to hold a full sized waterstone (e.g. Cerax 1000) securely?

Last edited:
My head is spinning :confused:. What is the current updated fully vetted version AND is there a demonstration/explanation video of the new generation system available? Thanks.

Ray

Has there been a change in the magnet recently? All the reviews claim the magnet is so strong but mine won't hold even a tiny knife still. Using no pressure, just the weight of the stone, every knife from large chefs to small pairing knives just slide around.
There was no magnet change. May be the steel is weak ferromagnetic. Can you detach the magnet and test the magnet with your knives without the sharpener? You can try the magnet with other steel items to compare. Be VERY careful to avoid an accident.

Are the abrasive plate clamps really able to hold a full sized waterstone (e.g. Cerax 1000) securely?
Yes. It holds reliably stones up to 1 kg/2 lbs. Using wide stones is not practical because of observation problem, but it's doable.

I am able to clamp a six inch bench stone with no problem but an eight inch stone won't fit. Not sure whether there is any improvement made since version 2.

There was no magnet change. May be the steel is weak ferromagnetic. Can you detach the magnet and test the magnet with your knives without the sharpener? You can try the magnet with other steel items to compare. Be VERY careful to avoid an accident.
Yes, I need to modify my statement somewhat. All the knives I had tried were stainless kitchen knives. Mainly Forschner kitchen and butcher knives. None of these would stick well.
I tried some of the carbon steel knives that I make myself using 1084 and 01 and man, that magnet does grab them. So if you plan on using this system on stainless, you will want the clamp.

I am able to clamp a six inch bench stone with no problem but an eight inch stone won't fit. Not sure whether there is any improvement made since version 2.
Hapstone R&D implemented 8" stone feature word-for-word. Most of japanese so-called 8" stones are 210 mm, which is 8.26". Only revision 3 of V6 works with 210 mm stones, no margin (211-212 mm may not fit).

Yes, I need to modify my statement somewhat. All the knives I had tried were stainless kitchen knives. Mainly Forschner kitchen and butcher knives. None of these would stick well.
I tried some of the carbon steel knives that I make myself using 1084 and 01 and man, that magnet does grab them. So if you plan on using this system on stainless, you will want the clamp.
Thank you for information!
Sainless steel can be magnetic or non-magnetic. The most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.
Please let us know what type of steel you have.

Please link me to a video - of the most current version and accessories if available.

Thanks. Ray

Please link me to a video - of the most current version and accessories if available.

I found only one youtube review of Hapstone V6 Revision 3 but audio is damaged

Rotating Clamp System review from KnifeKrazy

You can find video reviews of older revision and versions in YouTube by searching "Hapstone V6" or "Hapstone Pro".

I have just received a new Hapstone system, but I'm afraid to break it out, as my squaw thinks a Sharpmaker, Lansky, KME, & various stones, crock sticks, & bench stones too numerous to mention should be enough for any but a MO-RON! I reckon that means yrs truly. The aforementioned gear works well & I can use them interchangeably and in concert to achieve fine results, but dad-gum, I NEEDED another sharpener, for, like, BIG blades? I'm ulcerating to use it, but for now it slumbers.

I have just received a new Hapstone system, but I'm afraid to break it out, as my squaw thinks a Sharpmaker, Lansky, KME, & various stones, crock sticks, & bench stones too numerous to mention should be enough for any but a MO-RON! I reckon that means yrs truly. The aforementioned gear works well & I can use them interchangeably and in concert to achieve fine results, but dad-gum, I NEEDED another sharpener, for, like, BIG blades? I'm ulcerating to use it, but for now it slumbers.
Well, I just used mine to establish the initial edge on a barong with a 11.5" blade. So I can attest that it performs well on BIG blades.20170810_122907.jpg

Back