Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

Prayers sent up for Maui and the people, they are investigating why the sirens didn’t sound, they still don’t know how it started but the winds did the rest once it started. I have a lady that I work with who lived there, she says there are not a lot of roads in and out of areas so if they were cut off, may have had an impact on the tragedy.

I hope any members on Maui are safe. I am no longer a Hawaii resident as I have moved back to the mainland after 6 great years on the Big Island. We decided that we missed our Sons and in February we came back to be nearby. It all worked out well; the move was smooth and we sold our place in Waikoloa, which enabled us to buy a nice place here in Pittsburgh and 2 new cars for cash. I have only bought a couple of knives since moving but a few new firearms.

Stay safe!!
Thank you, I appreciate that.
Prayers sent up for Maui and the people, they are investigating why the sirens didn’t sound, they still don’t know how it started but the winds did the rest once it started. I have a lady that I work with who lived there, she says there are not a lot of roads in and out of areas so if they were cut off, may have had an impact on the tragedy.
Thank you as well. Yes, the is only one main road going in/out. There is another that locals know about, but was unknown to visitors.
I hope you and yours are safe with everything going on. And prayers sent for everyone that has been affected by the fires.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate that. That Becker you sent is amazing by the way, it was wonderful gesture.
MolokaiRider, I am late to this thread but thankful that you are OK; prayers for those who are perished and for the the survivors who suffer the loss.

We can not and do not always understand all - but God is sovereign.
Thank you, we all need them.

Amen!

I hope any members on Maui are safe. I am no longer a Hawaii resident as I have moved back to the mainland after 6 great years on the Big Island. We decided that we missed our Sons and in February we came back to be nearby. It all worked out well; the move was smooth and we sold our place in Waikoloa, which enabled us to buy a nice place here in Pittsburgh and 2 new cars for cash. I have only bought a couple of knives since moving but a few new firearms.
Thank you.

Family first, so I can completely understand your transition.

Glad to hear it's working out!

Thank you.

Family first, so I can completely understand your transition.

Glad to hear it's working out!
Yeah, of course we miss the weather and the ocean but it is good to see my boys on a regular basis. We used to get a little worried by the wildfires near Waikoloa every year. Last year they evacuated us. I worked for Atlantis Submarines and apparently the tow boat and the Submarine over on Maui wer totalled. The Sub is sideways on the roack a few hundred yards offshore from the harbor. It's a Sad thing to see.

Got to take of advantage of a few spare hours to go play this afternoon.

Set up a quick site for shade, and carried the H1 again.
View attachment 2123264

My two boys fishing for bait.
View attachment 2123265
Bait secured.
View attachment 2123270
We slide fresh bait we catch for a chance at bigger fish.View attachment 2123271
Spydie in it's element.
View attachment 2123266
A bit too big for sliding. Sent it back home, although we were tempted to cook this up.
View attachment 2123267
Playing with knives is fun. Even when just waiting.

View attachment 2123269
The Mora warhorse. This thing has seen some action. Tips a bit bent, but that's how it goes. This spare Becker tweener sheath works great for the Mora.

View attachment 2123268
No big fish today, but that's cool.
Awesome pictures MR, especially love the 1 of your 2 boys fishing together. Family is what matter's most, cherish every single second you're blessed to spend with them!

It's really cool, seeing the outpouring of love and support from the community here.

The Spirit of Aloha is:​

Akahi- kindness to be expressed with tenderness
Lokahi- unity to be expressed with harmony
Oluolu- agreeable to be expressed with pleasantness
Haahaa- humility to be expressed with modesty
Ahonui- patience to be expressed with perseverance

Aloha is the true meaning and symbol of the Hawaiian culture and lifestyle: respect and love one another, and live in harmony with everything around you. Aloha is not something that is spoken, it is something that must be experienced.

A traditional Hawaiian greeting starts by sharing ha, or their breath. The exchange of breath is done when two individuals press their foreheads and noses together while inhaling at the same time. This exchange is a significant part of Hawaiian culture. Hawaiians recognized that the breath is key to good health and believed it possesses mana or spiritual power.

Exchanging ha is a practice that rarely happens anymore, however, those connected with Hawaiian culture and heritage will often greet each other in this fashion. This breath exchange relates to aloha because the sharing of the breath is a sign of respect, of allowing another person in close to you, essentially the essence of aloha.

Awesome pictures MR, especially love the 1 of your 2 boys fishing together. Family is what matter's most, cherish every single second you're blessed to spend with them!

It's really cool, seeing the outpouring of love and support from the community here.

The Spirit of Aloha is:​

Akahi- kindness to be expressed with tenderness
Lokahi- unity to be expressed with harmony
Oluolu- agreeable to be expressed with pleasantness
Haahaa- humility to be expressed with modesty
Ahonui- patience to be expressed with perseverance

Aloha is the true meaning and symbol of the Hawaiian culture and lifestyle: respect and love one another, and live in harmony with everything around you. Aloha is not something that is spoken, it is something that must be experienced.

A traditional Hawaiian greeting starts by sharing ha, or their breath. The exchange of breath is done when two individuals press their foreheads and noses together while inhaling at the same time. This exchange is a significant part of Hawaiian culture. Hawaiians recognized that the breath is key to good health and believed it possesses mana or spiritual power.

Exchanging ha is a practice that rarely happens anymore, however, those connected with Hawaiian culture and heritage will often greet each other in this fashion. This breath exchange relates to aloha because the sharing of the breath is a sign of respect, of allowing another person in close to you, essentially the essence of aloha.
Mahalo, and I agree with you completely about family. It is my most precious thing here on this wonderful planet.

Aloha!

These pictures are heartbreaking.

However, seeing the response and resolve of Hawaii has been inspirational. Sir, You and yours will heal and make a swift recovery.

The ceremonies for the departed likely gave recovery efforts a celebratory boost.

These pictures are heartbreaking.

However, seeing the response and resolve of Hawaii has been inspirational. Sir, You and yours will heal and make a swift recovery.

The ceremonies for the departed likely gave recovery efforts a celebratory boost.
Mahalo.

I will say this; events like this can really bring out the best in people.

The kindness shown to each other is truly something else.

I am heartbroken for Maui. I thought of you and hoped you and yours were ok. I really don't have words adequate to express the emotions I feel about the tragedy that has befallen the people of Hawaii. Today I heard of a fire on Oahu. I send my love and prayers for all.
Bob

I am heartbroken for Maui. I thought of you and hoped you and yours were ok. I really don't have words adequate to express the emotions I feel about the tragedy that has befallen the people of Hawaii. Today I heard of a fire on Oahu. I send my love and prayers for all.
Bob
Thanks Bob, your thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Lots of families affected, and there will be tough roads ahead.

But at the end of the day, the people will stand and care for each other.

Spent some time this morning looking for rocks to make stone tools (following traditional protocols) and to do a bit of whittling.
7CA9E88B-0781-4162-835F-5DAB6FB401A0.jpeg
The Mora Bushcraft is a fun knife, and in my opinion a better knife than the Garberg.
3285A253-B06E-4784-9B9B-9881D8232C5E.jpeg
While I have only had this Duku for a few weeks, it has fast become a highly valued tool. The design is perfect for a chopper.
389F1E97-C218-4E8F-A12B-20DD287F807D.jpeg986FE207-1140-4261-9A0C-97B13C23C528.jpeg24CC960B-BD09-46DC-AC6A-AF0786D13085.jpeg

What stone are you using!!!!!! Are those local or from the big island???? Mauna Kea had deposits of super hard rock high up on top........Hawaiite (spelling???) its called...... Pretty cool... Eruption under a glacier made it cool faster n harder........I'd imagine some could be found byyou though..... Stay safe!!! Missing this thread......

Back