How I Paint Women ... WARNING PARTIAL NUDITY

Dan, it was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which was the one searching for the Holy Grail. The actress is Irish born Allison Doody, she played a German, Dr. Elsa Schneider. Dad, Sean Connery and son Harrison Ford, both had a shot at her.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097576/

No idea what she looks like today, but she was a beauty if you ask me.

Last edited:
Here's one that's not a woman and I don't think there's any reason to guess.
Rendering the texture on this face was a lot different from the smooth skin of a woman.

duke_3.jpg

Phil!!!!!!!!!! How ya been friend? Very cool paintings! Makes me want to get out my old airbrushes again and do pinups! Very nice keep it up.

Timmmmmmy!

Break out the airbrush, or let's see some tats.
Show us what ya got!

phil...i jsut read thru the whole thread...cool artwork you do....i wish i could draw/paint either with a pen or a mouse!....very cool:thumbup:.....ryan

i wish i could draw/paint either with a pen or a mouse!

Thank you Ryan.
You can draw, start here.

http://www.drawright.com/#menu

This is the third time in this thread I've suggested that book

If you doubt reading a book can help you learn to draw, read this quote.

"…at the time when you spoke of my becoming a painter, I though it very impractical and would not hear of it. What made me stop doubting was reading a clear book on perspective, Cassange's Guide to the ABC of Drawing; and a week later I drew the interior of a kitchen with stove, chair, table and window-in their places and on their legs-where as before it had seemed to me that getting depth and the right perspective into a drawing was witchcraft or pure chance."

-Vincent Van Gogh, in a letter to his brother, Theo, who had suggested that Vincent become a painter.

Last edited:
If you want to call it a painting because the software company calls it painting, fine. You have a certain lingo that is accepted in certain circles, and I can accept that. But to call such an image a painting, in my opinion, does not do justice to someone who has the skill and talent to manipulate a brush and apply pigment to create art. Are steps in the process similar? Sure. Maybe it should be called pixelation, instead.

What a pedantic, whiny, budget art-school, those-who-can't-do-teach sort of opinion to bring into a thread where work is being shown.

By that rationale, photography isn't an art form, because it's "cheating."

These are the same people who would have you believe that only sounds produced from a full orchestra are "Music," only Cinquains, Haiku and Sonnets are "Poetry," and only books written before the turn of the century are "Literature."

Sorry. Couldn't stand reading that. /rant.

Wonderful work, PhilL.

Phil -- I didn't notice this thread before but I recognized the "woman in the hat" immediately; that's a very nice piece of work that has real "life" to it. It's very dynamic.

Thanks guys.
To be honest I thought there would be some complaint because there was No Knife Content, or that it wasn't Photography. But, I figured this is Gallery and I can show my work and handle any objections as they came up. I was a little surprised when the very first post was, "...that ain't Painting!" Then even more surprised when another reply wanted me to be Banned!

Over the years I've done several tutorials on how I photograph knives, how I do image editing, how to design knives and render them to look real. I've also done logos and avatars, done animations and cartoon characters of different memebers here. It's all a part of my playing in Photoshop. I just like to share the work when I have something worth showing.

Last edited:
Well, not for nothing, but a legalistic insistence on following the letter of the Posting Law does nothing but make the forums uptight and irritating. Something like this fits within the spirit of this forum if you ask me. Not that anyone would.

Yep Rick Nelson, from the movie Rio Bravo, with John Wayne, Dean Martin and Walter Brennan. I was expecting a couple of guesses of Elvis.

Maybe Rick couldn't sing as well as Elvis, but I think he was second to Elvis at that time for hits. Maybe he wasn't as good an actor as James Dean, but the country did watch him grow up on tv. Rick Nelson was an icon of the late 50's and early 60's and like Dean and Elvis died way too young.

Time for another Guess Who?

There are certain Iconic images that stay with you for a very long time. This is one of them for me. It’s from a movie that was made over 25 years ago. When I was looking for the refrence photo for my next painting I knew I wanted to do this face. There’s a lot of things that appealed to me about the photo source; the face of course, the hand, the smoke, the dramatic lighting, but more than anything else it was the hair. The hair style wouldn’t have been out of place in a 1940’s film, but in the 1980’s it was totally unique.

SY_1_3.jpg

Last edited:
Phil, that painting of Sean Young is absolutely gorgeous. I think that has to be the best one yet.

young_sean.jpg

I don't care what anyone says.That is art & you're damn good at it:thumbup:

Back