"How much blade and handle can you fit in a fixed blade EDC?"

What's my ideal EDC fixed blade? A puukko. I've carried many different kinds of knives and once I tried a Mora, I never went back. Even sharpening idiots like me can keep their blades hair poppin' with a scandi.
As for your knife, I like the profile, swedge and all. I don't think it's too scary, but then again I have several knives over 15" and don't consider them large or scary...I may not be the best judge. A full size handle is great. Micarta and 3V would be a bitchin' combination. I'd be happy with other steels as well, but low maintainence is an asset so 0-1 and other carbons are out. I'm iffy on stainless in general and I'll pay more for the 3V, but a stainless blade wouldn't stop me from buying the knife. Lanyard tube is a must, as I use the cord to extract the knife from its sheath.
I look forward to hearing feedback from your relatives and your cutting tests.

3V steel with black/tan G10 handles. I would love to see a nice set of wood scales like on your proto, but agree that G10 would make a better choice in an EDC. Let me know when to send a deposit.

Thanks...

I have come back to this thread for the third time now. I do like the design and concept. I completely on board with the suggested handle options you are considering and 3v steel. I would prefer a passaround before deciding about ordering, however if push comes to shove I could make a snap-one-up decision. Have a good camping trip.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info.
Looks like you hit a homer with your new design ! Congrats

I agree that 1/4 is thick for a blade that size.

Honestly I think a blade under 6" shouldn't be 1/4 thick. Personal opinion here, I won't be mad even if all of you disagree :)

That is a great looking knife Dan, definitely a beast. :thumbup:
The swedge does make the knife a little less sheeple friendly, but not too much.

Hi Dan! I like the idea. The design appeals to me quite a bit. Here is my current work EDC, which has a lot of similarities with your design.

DSC02967.jpg

Very compact, very strong. I wear it horizontally on my belt, but I do get some looks now and then. But there is very little I can't do with it.

It's a good idea!

Andy

Dan,

Looks great! I think orange G10 with a thick black liner would be sweet!
I love the tapered tang!
Keep up the great work!

Joel

That is one beautiful knife, Dan. The swedge does detract from the "sheeple friendly" idea, but not too much. The 3" blade is even okay to carry on the railroad where I work. I think some kind of bright color g10 or micarta would go a long way towards making it look more innocuous. Count me in when you get ready to take orders. 3v or s30v with bright colored scales would be my pick.

Dan,

The knife looks great but I think my definition of a EDC knife is slightly different. For EDC I would need a true pocket fixed blade. I think I would get some stares if I carried this knife in my slacks at work, either because it was a knife or if I had it in my front pocket and it was mistaken for something else. I would prefer a knife that wasn't longer then 6" because that is the average depth of my back pockets. I prefer a 3 finger as opposed to a 2 finger knife but a full grip is just awesome. I think a 3 finger with a pinkie loop works just as good as a full handle though. As far as the thickness is concerned it realy depends on the intended purpose of the knife. As a self defense and out in the shop tool I think thicker is better because it affords for more careless/unorthodox use. For office life and walking around town I would prefe a thinner steel. My main use in the office is opening mail and cutting up apples/grapefruit so the extra thickness would be a hinderence. The thickness of the steel would also affect the handle thickness. In my case I like carrying my fixed balde in a back pocket sheath. If the knife is as big around as a roll of quarters I would not be to keen on sitting on it all day(Unless I had two in order to sit without a gansta lean).

I think no matter what the finished product will be a great knife, I just don't know if the term EDC will just be for those that can get away with a belt knife.

That is beautiful... I myself wanted to commission a knife that met all your conditions as well... but it's hard to come up with a working idea that is a perfect compromise. I think you did a good job. I would love to buy one of those if you were to produce it.

I don't care if could be legal, I want one! :D
Amazing knife Dan.
Better than something similar from T.K. :D:D

I like it, except with a sharpened swedge (not hair shaving; but, an edge nonetheless). I use this type of edge for scraping bark and other rough uses that would overburden a finer edge.

question Dan, do you think you could get a few pictures of the knife in the pants pocket with the pocket sheath? i would love to see how it sits in the pocket with that clip. like how much is it over the top of the pocket? how much does it "buldge" in the pocket, esspecially while sitting down? that sorta thing.

Sorry Dan, but that not a "without a doubt" legal knife here in GA. In GA the law states that the police officer has to determine whether the knife was intended to be a weapon, or a utility tool. The swedge, and the guard would set off alarms. This law is so damn dumb anyway that trying to design around it is friggin worthless. Any LEO in a bad mood can decide to screw you on any knife.

That aside, I like the knife a lot. Reminds me of Tom's stuff though. I like Tom's stuff a lot too, but, I do't get a Dan Koster feel from it.

You asked, so here is my brief comment. ;)

It looks great to me.

The only thing I do not like at all is how the handle drops severely at the rear bottom under the lanyard tube. :thumbdn::thumbdn:

IMO it needs to be a gentle taper... much less radical than it is.

Just my opinion......... other than that, looks good to me. :thumbup:

I could live with that blade shape or a more traditional drop point with no swedge would suit me just as well.

The handle shape, where mentioned........ is my main concern.

I like the tapered tang but I would like the scales thinned out so it would be more low profile in the pocket would also think a drop point or warnclif blade would be more sheeple friendly than the swedge. I would also prefer thinner stock but you seem adamant about 1\4 so I could live with it if you make the other modifications.

Sorry Dan, but that not a "without a doubt" legal knife here in GA. In GA the law states that the police officer has to determine whether the knife was intended to be a weapon, or a utility tool. The swedge, and the guard would set off alarms. This law is so damn dumb anyway that trying to design around it is friggin worthless. Any LEO in a bad mood can decide to screw you on any knife.

That aside, I like the knife a lot. Reminds me of Tom's stuff though. I like Tom's stuff a lot too, but, I do't get a Dan Koster feel from it.

I agree about the swedge and blade shape. Actually here in WV any blade can be worn open but concealed it's under 3.5" if I recall right.

But also like FB mentions the law states something to the effect that if the knife is designed for a certain use(ie not defensive) a longer blade can be carried.

Also I have a Busse Game Warden in .200" steel and I think the thickness sort of limits the practicality. While I have several 3" blades in 1/8" and that seems ideal.

Last edited:
Beautiful design. I think it is a bit overkill for a EDC. Please understand it is my humble opinion, only my opinion. For my life and the tasks that I need to accomplish on a daily basis. I would like something along the lines of A.G Russell Woodwallker in a high qulaity steel with a blade thickness of about .125". It has been my experience that most daily tasks require only cutting not prying.

Please don't take this as an insult of your design Dan. I think it is a beautiful, functional knife it is just to robust for me as an EDC.

Paul.

Back