HYTEST AXES, post yours

An ad from 1958 listing 3 models of HYTEST axes, with descriptions of each in the linked page:

article136301139-1-001.jpg

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/printArticleJpg/136301139/3?print=n

A 1946 ad from a hardware store, with prices for their axes. Hytests were priced the highest, Kelly had the lowest prices (below Plumb).
(Prices were in Australian Pounds and Shillings, prior to 1966)

KELLY AXES 16/3
PLUMB AXES 17/4
KEESTEEL AXES 18/6
HYTEST AXES 19/6

article151461476-4-001.jpg

from http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/151461476?searchTerm=hytest%20axe%20design&searchLimits=l-availability=y

are you sure those are prices?

edit - nevermind, i thought the x/x could have been something else, but google taught me that is how the pound shilling price was written.

Last edited:
$100?

I wouldn't have been able to pay him fast enough, lol. Great score! Be sure to post some pics of it in use.

Thanks Steve, for the info and links. I'll do some more searching. Good to know it's quality steel. Whatever B.H.P. steel alloy is equivalent to it apparently handled the extreme hardwoods they have without issue.

It was $100.00. Regardless of actual worth, to me a bargain because I wanted one and thought I'd never see on here, let alone an unused one.
Virtually anyone here would have cheerfully coughed up $100 for the opportunity you actually got. Drawback to NOS prizes like this is you then have to seek out another with infinitely lesser collector value in order to actually discover what you can do with one in the bush.

Virtually anyone here would have cheerfully coughed up $100 for the opportunity you actually got. Drawback to NOS prizes like this is you then have to seek out another with infinitely lesser collector value in order to actually discover what you can do with one in the bush.

nahh... id definitely use it. i wouldnt abuse it, but surely use it.

I just watched one sell on Ebay. If you find one without a sticker on it then how do you know what it is? I've seen a few now with no markings claiming to be Hytest on different websites.

Did some Hytest have stamps and others not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The find was pure coincidence and I had no idea what they were worth. You are right though. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to put a profile on it and use it or keep it as a collector piece. Seems waste not to play with it, but then again....I have several others available.

I wish I knew. I've seen some (pics) with label only, some with embossed with HYTEST and RACING AXE and various other markings but there's no doc I can find that goes into detail about various models. The Australian 'Bladeforums', forestry and timbersports forums have more references to their axes than you're likely to in a U.S. forum.

What would a HYTEST be worth today? Similar to a like new Sager or Legitimus?

i recently was gifted a N.O.S. trojan, likely the brother to moosecreek's. i also wonder what it might be worth-- so when i fuck up grinding it, or play "find the telephone line staple in the tree" i have a dollar scale i can reference to determine how bad my mistake was!!

i recently was gifted a N.O.S. trojan, likely the brother to moosecreek's. i also wonder what it might be worth-- so when i fuck up grinding it, or play "find the telephone line staple in the tree" i have a dollar scale i can reference to determine how bad my mistake was!!

I need new friends. Soooooo jealous!

Post a pic. I'd love to see more of these.

It's funny how Americans rave at hytest and say how rare they are in the states. I have 2 hytests. I suppose it's like me going on about sager chemicals and Collins double bits.
0109a3878c9c17028722dcc8d3de85fd.jpg
6827e8668a22ca32addf73eaf7ffbccd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trojan still make axes. They brought out hytest forged tools also they are not the best quality but maybe the old ones are better.???

Did anyone here buy my Hytest racing axes off ebay in 2014-15 ? I miss them, I hope they got a good home.

1d53d76a213018084b6de5a8114d2dac.jpg
1e18bdac86972980c3f6ab4de0c47916.jpg
66b61c8a3ea8b81845bce91818532b4c.jpg
5d66770d0b065d6af3825760145273aa.jpg

My dad found it for me last week I put a new spottedgum handle on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I put a new spottedgum handle on it.

The Hytest Craftsman axes were supplied with the choice of American hickory or spotted gum handles, according to the ad shown earlier. "Spotted gum" is apparently a type of eucalyptus. Some related types of eucalyptus trees are now growing in Hawaii. Hickory substitute for Old Axeman?

...I now live on the Big Island of Hawaii. There are some wonderfull woods here, like Koa....I am still looking for a wood here to sub for hickory (we both know there is no sub for hickory for axe helves)...

The Hytest Craftsman axes were supplied with the choice of American hickory or spotted gum handles, according to the ad shown earlier. "Spotted gum" is apparently a type of eucalyptus. Some related types of eucalyptus trees are now growing in Hawaii. Hickory substitute for Old Axeman?

We have many types of Eucalypti in SoCal, it's quite plentiful and it's about the only thing I use for heat.

P4020082.jpg

Ready for next winter.

Steve, thanks for thinking about my wood supply problem for hafts. Funny thing, the county road dept. just knocked a big Eucalypti down and pushed it off to the side and left it. I will go check it out. It should be quite a sight for the locals--an old haole with an axe on the side of the road chopping on an old Eucalypti tree.

Axeman the only thing I can say is get it while it green because when it dries it's the one of the hardest woods I've run across. I have some large pieces of trunks and some bits just bounce right off. I'm thinking to take my 60# jack hammer to split em.

Last edited:
Back