Is a bur actually needed?

I have read the whole thread and understand the pros and cons of burr based and non burr based sharpening. Picking a side seems a bit silly. I was simply answering the title question.

Forming a burr is not necessary, but if one finds it easier to sharpen by forming one, a sharp knife is better than a dull one. For steels that form a tenacious burr, burr based sharpening makes it more difficult, and knowing how to sharpen without forming one permits use of those steels without special/involved burr removal procedures.
Fair enough my man, carry on.

Hi,
Again it depends on the thickness, as explained by the diagram. A 0.1 micron thick foil will not break off by stropping it on clean leather, but it will prevent the blade from shaving.(not sure if you know those are my "pictures").
yes I was aware I linked your pictures :thumbsup: nice work thanks

I make sure all my burrs are about 0.4 micron :p

I can't break aluminum food wrap by bending it back and forth, can you?
FWIW,
yes I can't and yes I can :) it depends how its done, and it can take more than a hundred bends
but unlike a knife
the sheet is a sheet , its uniformly thin
where on a knife the burr is attached to a much thicker piece of metal it can be bent against
and unlike steel
aluminum is more maleable/ductile
and I've never been able to shave with aluminum foil

I'm lost on the point with all of this theory and analogies to different mediums that are not blades. What's the argument here? That somehow there's an edge retention difference between a burr sharpened edge and one that's sharpened without a burr? Or a difference in sharpness?

Can anyone point to actual evidence of some sort of difference? I personally don't think it matters, but I haven't really done much testing on this myself.

Brian.

I'm lost on the point with all of this theory and analogies to different mediums that are not blades. What's the argument here? That somehow there's an edge retention difference between a burr sharpened edge and one that's sharpened without a burr? Or a difference in sharpness?

Can anyone point to actual evidence of some sort of difference? I personally don't think it matters, but I haven't really done much testing on this myself.

Brian.

The knowledge expressed here is deep, but sometimes too pedantic for it's own good. We are talking about sharpening knives.

Brian.

Amen Brother, I haven't noticed any difference. What's next, an edge lapped with lose grit vs one ground against a fixed abrasive?

Cliff is right--you don't need nor actually want a burr. It's just an easy way to tell that you've fully apexed the edge on that side, but a keen eye looking at your scratch pattern can tell you the same thing without having to create a burr.

I couldn't agree more! Even the freehand sharpening I do with my benchstones I rarely ever encounter a burr. Unless I have a really beat up blade that requires an extensive re-profiling which I don't encounter very often. I rarely let one of my blades or edged tools ever get that bad unless I had a very rough job of some sort.

Now occasionally I'll encounter a "burr" using my diamond stones sometimes but most of the time I just don't. Now I do think that the "burr" could be a good indicator for a beginner in the skill of sharpening. But for someone who is knowledgeable about the different blade steels then I don't see any necessity in it at all. I used to rely on it at one time but I haven't in quite a while now.

Back