Is Ganzo Firebird F753M1 any good, please share your opinon if you have one !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to stir up controversy but what is the story with that Shirogorov axis lock knife?

WOW, I bet it's the same dealers that sell Quartermaster.

No. Out of the whole show I saw only one quartermaster knife. What was funny is that one of these dealers I asked "how much is the ultratech clone". And he looks at me and tells me the price then proceeds to tell me that those knives are ruining the market for automatics. To which I had to laugh pretty hard as this was one of the guys selling them. But no, I'm not exaggerating in any way shape or form when I say that every single dealer that was there selling microtechs had clones as well. Authorized microtech dealers who are well known in the community. There are even a few dealers who are members of this forum that sell clones.

What? A dealer selling them had really positive things to say about them? Amazing!

Hmm, yeah most of the dealers I talk with will openly admit when they carry a product they don't think is as good as another. Many dealers will carry a brand due to customer request and, you know, that whole supply and demand thing? Its not like every dealer only sells their personal favorites. They sell what is going to make them money. And they also know if they talk something up that is undeserving of it that it wont be good for them in the long run. But if dealers did actually think like you seem to and only sold what they like there would probably be a reason for it right?

Besides " intellectual property theft " these counterfeits are made with questionable steel and heat treat. I've yet to meet an honest thief . ;)

To a degree this might be true. But in some cases its not an issue at all. If you were to say because they replicated a design without permission so that must mean they lie about everything else then you would also have to assume that brous blades and microtechs are all 8cr13mov and haven't been heat treated properly. And again US law is US law. Do you follow the laws Russia makes or France? No. You follow local, state and federal laws.

Last edited:
Ganzo Knives are junk. I have handled two, both with "Axis" locks and they both had a serious flaw. Now, i'm not a big proponent of spine whack tests the way say Cold Steel does them but I discovered it doesn't take much to get their locks to fail. I had been planning to make a video the next time I see the guy that has them. Also, there is the rip off thing that i've argued till I'm blue in the face in other threads.

id like to see this. ive had a few i put through hell just to see if they could take it and they did. if ya have proof to educate us then please educate, dont hold back. thanks.

ibtl, these threads never go well.

I was thinking about checking out a Ganzo just to see if they're a decent clone for the price. I'm not so sure it's a good idea though.

A good cheap knife is the Kershaw Emerson Wave knives, under $25 shipped. Not a clone, comes super sharp, dulls rather quick, but a good one to practice sharpening on.

If ganzo is a thief for using an axis lock then benchmade is stealing from whoever invented a folding knife. or just a knife period. Society moves forward by building upon what came before.
Building on what came before is the Triad lock to the back lock, or compression lock to the liner lock. If Ganzo was building on the shoulders of giants the would have re-engineered the axis in some way removing some weakness in the lock mechanism but that's not what they did. Building on what came before is not a view from a mile up it's a view from an inch i.e. every folding knife is a copy or every car is copy of the original Daimler.

Building on what came before is the Triad lock to the back lock, or compression lock to the liner lock. If Ganzo was building on the shoulders of giants the would have re-engineered the axis in some way removing some weakness in the lock mechanism but that's not what they did. Building on what came before is not a view from a mile up it's a view from an inch i.e. every folding knife is a copy or every car is copy of the original Daimler.

I think the point is that the anti clone crowd only comes out of the woodwork when its a lower cost chinese knife while usa makers or german makers, or even a couple russian makers get a pass when they rip someone off. If anyone posted a picture of their new shirogorov tabargan it would likely be comments of praise. But if someone were to post a picture of a clone of a tabargan people bring up the counterfeit axis lock ignoring that shiro ripped it off themselves. At the end of the day i see too many people oversimplifying the issue and/or only advocating for it when its a product they personally like or dislike. And its also funny to see guys ripping on brands like kevin john while they are holdingg a ckf that was made in the same factory. I dont have a problem with anyone who hates clones or counterfeits. I just think its silly how most dont get involved over the issue unless a thread on a very small knife forum is created in which then it becomes an epidemic of astronomical proportions but once its out of sight and thus put of mind they probably dont think twice about it. If counterfeiting is really an issue that is important to someone that is awesome. But they shouldnt say its a big deal when in these threads is the only time they ever address it.

So was Shirogorov authorized to use that axis lock? I just am curious.

I don't think anyone knows for certain. Benchmade is largely silent on Axis Lock infringement and the patent isn't protected in Russia or China.

The real question to ask is does Shirogorov still manufacture a knife with an Axis Lock...and that answer is "No".

9cr14mov, As you can see you've kicked the hornets nest rather badly, although I can't say I have much sympathy since a quick search would have shown you that this was the response you were going to get.

That said, Where are you from? This is a pretty international forum, and I'm sure someone can point you toward some good value knives that are easy for you to get, of reasonable quality, and are legal where you are.

So you might have to save up a little longer? oh well, at least then you know you are getting quality.

I don't think anyone knows for certain. Benchmade is largely silent on Axis Lock infringement and the patent isn't protected in Russia or China.

The real question to ask is does Shirogorov still manufacture a knife with an Axis Lock...and that answer is "No".

They havent removed them from their website yet.

ed2.png

I love this.

So why is that the real question? It's irrelevant if they were stealing then quit, that doesn't make them not guilty of the theft.

I also find the whole thing laughable. As some mentioned, certain makers get a pass on theft because they made expensive knives, but cheap ones get hate. That's called hypocrisy. Theft is wrong for everybody.

I have no special fandom of Benchmade. They stole the Spydie-Hole and only worked out an agreement AFTER the fact, and that Axis Lock seems to be an untouchable darling. Sam Colt designed that lock to hold a revolver cylinder locked, putting it on a knife is called innovation by some, but it's still a stolen mechanism anyway.

Also the simple fact is that if you want a $10 knife, Benchmade is not losing a sale anyway. If they were smart, they would offer their own official budget line to capture that lower end market share. Spyderco had the good sense to do just that.

So was Shirogorov authorized to use that axis lock? I just am curious.

I've been told it's used under license, but haven't seen any confirmation from Benchmade, so who knows? They're outside my price range anyway. The Ganzo in the OP manages to rip off both Benchmade with the axis and Protech in the overall design. Double-dubious.

They improved it by making it cheaper.

AFAIK the axis lock patent has expired.

The Ganzo knives are fine, many very good quality for price. They produce knockoff designs and knockoff Axis locks so most people here aren't fond of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back