It followed me home (Part 2)

Yep its a kelly quality
z6bdvDm.jpg

i picked up a k head 8 pound hammer, a little 6" file, handle for the k head, a TT finish hammer and a paper label kelly perfect, the paper was shredded so i took it off and cleaned up the stamp a little bit. oh and a little estwing ford hatchet, anybody know how old it is? i mean, it's almost exactly the same as modern estwings just has ford stamped on the bottom

Just an update on the free axe i took home 2 days ago.
After drilling the handle out and getting the rust off it turned out to be a Brades cockatoo 1571 4 1/2 lb.
Still taking the slag off, It was caked on there.
eXfLYDi.jpg

nGADIj8.jpg

Last edited:
A better load of pictures of my haul from the other day.

Got a piles of nice old English files with an equally huge pile of handles, loads of Marples chisels and gouges with some other brands, carpentry bits, a bit and brace drill with a wood box of auger bits, a nice old sharpneing stone, an awesome tin of basically unused Dormer brand drill bits, a Record mini anvil, a Wolden vice, a brass paraffin blow lamp and a paraffin lantern, A lovely Plumb axe, various knives and two super heavy steel flat/engineering plates. I have a big piles of scrap brass too, around 5 kg of the stuff for melting into shape! Oh and the Moore and Wright vernier gauge! a realy beauty!

Another freebie today off the mates dad.
Not much just a shattered chopper1 on a nice handle.
The head had just been slid over the top so knocked off easily with a hammer.
Going to put that Brades cockatoo head he also gave me on it.
TjVaAs4.jpg

EFervjo.jpg

No axes today, but I picked these two old girls up for $10. There was a 3rd one I found, but the seller wanted $45 for it. I figured I'd leave it and spend that money on other things.

UmcTi0t.jpg

You'd do well to reshape the inside curve of that swell so that it catches your little finger better.

I will definitely be doing that.
Can i grab another bit of advice?
Whats the best way for me to get this head off without damaging the handle so i can re-hang it? Its that charleston kelly i showed previously.
Thanks for all the help.

U3bUMNC.jpg

Drill out the wedge making sure not to hit the handle wood. Use some needle-nose pliers or similar to pry out the wedge pieces. Then knock the handle out with a wooden drift.

Older 3.2 Flint Edge without eye ridges. Other than the minor pitting on the stamp side, the old girl is like new.

I picked this guy up at the Tools of the Trade show on Sunday. A Walters hatchet with it's original handle.

I really wasn't looking for a hatchet but it had to follow me home so it could be reunited with its little brother:

This guy was on the list of tools I was looking for. I'm falling deeper into the rabbit hole of my green woodworking hobby and I've been interested in trying out a froe for a while.:eek:

Ummm... awesome! After ogling 300Six's Walters' today maybe I'm biased but that is great.

Is the froe wedged? It has nice lines.

Please share any green wood working tips, tricks, chips, or pics :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back