It followed me home (Part 2)

dont see too many of those ice axes anymore, i'v seen a few old ice saws, one at a cracker barrel being held by two tiny nails, i wasnt very enthusiastic about sitting there

I've been on a dry spell lately. I've been to busy to spend much time looking. I picked up a few things today. I can't see any writing on the axe.

hKE3J7w.jpg

sehWCBA.jpg

nFa7xs7.jpg

4Twtefd.jpg

Last edited:
I went for the anvil and came home with all this. The anvil is a 220lb Peter Wright, they had it for sale for $200. The weight wasn't advertised and they had no idea, I weighed it at home. I got everything for $300. The middle axe is a Flint Edge, I love the smaller Jersey, can't wait to ID it.
That anvil. Wow!:eek:
The stand doesn't look right for it or the vise.

It gets better. The 3 axes in the lot were all real winners. A Kelly Perfect, a North Wayne Tool Jersey, and another Maine Wedge. The only mark on that one is the weight stamp in the middle. I'm thrilled with them.

Neat. You don't see many north wayne tool co axes. The stamp looks identical to John King and PV number stamps.

First time stopping at the flea market to look at tools. After fixing up my wife's grandads double bit, I was looking for a large single. Picked this one up that had some mushrooming but also lots of blade life left. No clue what it is - just getting into axes.

First time stopping at the flea market to look at tools. After fixing up my wife's grandads double bit, I was looking for a large single. Picked this one up that had some mushrooming but also lots of blade life left. No clue what it is - just getting into axes.

Here it is cleaned up. Clearly marked "Spiller" "Oakland" and "4 1/2".

I wonder if I should sand off the mushroomed edges.

Today's auction finds. I didn't really want the pick axes but they came with the axes that I bought. Besides this stuff I also got an old Bear recurve bow for $5

QBOLB2h.jpg

gcuSYBf.jpg

I can only make out "Perfect" on this double bit

RyJ2aCR.jpg

This one has me intrigued. It's kind of smaller and has a circle stamp with a square inside of it. I can't make out what the words say.

FoXiZiw.jpg

IZqwO17.jpg

. . .
This one has me intrigued. It's kind of smaller and has a circle stamp with a square inside of it. I can't make out what the words say.

IZqwO17.jpg
RICH-CON (Richards & Conover Hardware Company) has a square and circle.

Bob

edit to add (not mine):

Last edited:
Today's auction finds. I didn't really want the pick axes but they came with the axes that I bought. Besides this stuff I also got an old Bear recurve bow for $5

QBOLB2h.jpg

gcuSYBf.jpg

I can only make out "Perfect" on this double bit

RyJ2aCR.jpg

FoXiZiw.jpg

IZqwO17.jpg

"Perfect" looks like a True Temper -Perfect- that I have seen before.

Here it is cleaned up. Clearly marked "Spiller" "Oakland" and "4 1/2".

I wonder if I should sand off the mushroomed edges.

Lovely find! If you're planning to return it into active service smoothing off the dents, burrs and mushrooming isn't a bad idea. If it's destiny is as a collector item or wall hanger don't tamper with it much more than you already have. I cringe every time someone claims to have 'restored' a classic axe. Spillers were held in high regard and this one is far from dead with regard to 'ability to perform work'.

I cringe every time someone claims to have 'restored' a classic axe.
I'm curious to know if this is cringe worthy.
If yes, I'd be interested in hearing why. If no, I'd be interested in knowing what types of things are objectionable to you.

Back