JK Handmade Knife of the Week

Hi Fellow JK Fans -

This week I chose a very special knife - the UDTJim Extended Hiker.
This knife belonged to Jim, our good friend and the late father of our own Rob Babcock.
Jim had the largest collection of JK Knives that I know of, and Rob sent out some of these special knives to a lucky few of us who knew and love Jim. This knife will never leave my collection.

best

mqqn
I'm glad to see that those knives are still being enjoyed! My dad would love that as well. Many of you will certainly recall that Dad was quite generous, having gifted a fair number himself. Naturally I still have many of my favorite JKs, but occasionally I still like to gift one here and there. Dad would like that I think.

Hi Friends!

This week I have yet another special JK Handmade Knife. Of course they are all special to me, but this one was a gift from John when I opened my business in Illinois back in 2014.

I had opened a business preparing people for Illinois Concealed Carry and some use of force training. The initialization of my company was IFSA, so out of the blue I received the following knife from John in the mail, the Firearm Instructor's Compantion!

20220515_221610.jpg

20220515_221548.jpg

20220515_221521.jpg

DSC_9251.JPG

That little guy was with me for every class after I received it, and it removed it's fair share of staples from target posts.

It also rode around for several years in my truck - but I decided to move it into my knife collection after I closed up shop and got the heck out of Illinois.

I hope you all are doing well - and please do post whatever JK you are fondling or using this week.

best

mqqn

Thanks Mr. Bill! Come visit us in TN!
This week I pulled out the JK Titanium Framelock -
I harangued John for some time to make a frame lock and he did it! He did a proto that he gave to one of his daughters, and then I was lucky to get the first production piece - potentially the only one released to us greasy-palmed knife abusers.

20220523_140512.jpg

20220523_140532.jpg

20220523_140541.jpg

20220523_140621.jpg

20220523_140638.jpg

This knife still is centered perfectly and I have done chopping with it! I think John could have done well pursuing this end of the knife world - this one reminds me of a folding Kephart. Not bad for a seasoned machinist with limited tools in his garage. I will use this knife this week to whittle up new wood handles for my weber grill and post pictures here.

best

mqqn

Well it finally happened - I pulled out one of the XD series knives that John helped me design. This is the XD / XM (Extreme Duty, Extra Medium) knife.
I had asked for rugged knives and I wanted John to try hollow rivets for the scale fasteners. He didn't disappoint! I also think the grinds on this blade are very nice looking, and the knife is very useful as well.
John has the larger brother of this design in his signature, the XD/XT -
20220315_195035.jpg

20220315_195049.jpg

20220315_195122.jpg

20220315_195205.jpg

20220315_195211.jpg

20220315_195240.jpg

best

mqqn
The video was motivating for these

Thanks Mr. Bill! Come visit us in TN!
This week I pulled out the JK Titanium Framelock -
I harangued John for some time to make a frame lock and he did it! He did a proto that he gave to one of his daughters, and then I was lucky to get the first production piece - potentially the only one released to us greasy-palmed knife abusers.

20220523_140512.jpg

20220523_140532.jpg

20220523_140541.jpg

20220523_140621.jpg

20220523_140638.jpg

This knife still is centered perfectly and I have done chopping with it! I think John could have done well pursuing this end of the knife world - this one reminds me of a folding Kephart. Not bad for a seasoned machinist with limited tools in his garage. I will use this knife this week to whittle up new wood handles for my weber grill and post pictures here.

best

mqqn
That frame lock looks solid and well put together.

Was John a machinist? I should stand to reason and I think that the titanium frame lock shows he knows his way around the machines.

I should mention that I didn’t use a mill to cut the lockbar slots, all done by hand with a hacksaw.

John, just out of curiosity, is titanium hard to cut or work with to create a frame lock like that? Thanks for you time and we wish you a speedy recovery.

Be in prayer today for TX and NY For the families and law enforcement. I apologize for jumping around, my heart and mind are grieving right now for the victims, I will continue to pray, trying to keep my mind from dwelling on the tragedy, but focusing on what we can do to help.

Back