Kerambit vrs. Pendulum

The DTL Impact Kerambit was designed by Kelly Worden as a close quarters fighting instrument. It is L shaped and made from high impact plastic. It's lineage comes from similar instruments found in the Filipino Martial Arts of Modern Arnis, Escrima, and Kali.

The Kerambit can be carried concealled in a pocket, with a pocket clip, or in a quick draw scabbard from Blade Tech Industries. It can be used to enhance strikes, joint locks, arm and leg bars, pressure point and pain compliance techniques, and lifts.

It costs less than $30 and Worden puts out a two-tape video instructional program on the Kerambit.

Proper use of the Kerambit allows for a "connecting of the systems" in terms of empty hand and weapons skills, to include knife.

In viewing the Forum over the last week I saw where the Pendulum was noted in terms of "Is this a viable consideration as a SD instrument / weapon?" Responses so far indicate its high price and limited design application (most refer to it as an expensive straight razor) constrains serious interest in the blade.

But...

As this Forum is about connecting systems of thought, experiences, training, and hardware ---

My question became "Why would I want a Pendulum over something like a Kerambit?" Apples and oranges? In one sense, yes. However, from self defense / self offense point of view it is an interesting comparison.

The Pendulum is an edged weapon with no instructional (general access) available. And it is expensive. And there are certainly legal considerations attached to its carry and application.

That's fine, IF that is what you are looking for and intend to use for SD or SO (self offense).

The Kerambit is another approach to SD/SO and can be every bit as lethal, or forgiving, as the user intends for it to be under specific circumstances. Plus, one can home train due to the video program that is available.

The Pendulum is actually more like a mini Alaskan Native ulu knife (for skinning out game) than a straight razor. This in a folding knife format.

The Kerambit is a modern martial arts weapon rooted in an effective fighting system(s) that is stealth in appearance and nature.

Here's the question for open discussion.

If you have experience with the Kerambit and Pendulum, please discuss the pros and cons of the two in modern self defense or self offense.

If you've experience with one but not the other, give your thoughts.

If you believe this is apples and oranges, say so but articulate why the two cannot / should not be compared.

If you see any wisdom whatsoever to carrying one over the other daily, or for special applications, share your views.

This is a brain and experience stretcher, for sure. But we're talking about modern self defense in terms of training and hardware. Marketing is for the makers and vendors. What do the users think?

Sierra912

If we're comparing the Pendulum to a blunt plastic version (DTL Impact Kerambit) of a kerambit, then it's apples and oranges (lethal vs non-lethal).

As with any weapon/tool, the usefulness/practicality is dependent upon the user's familiarity/ability. Each tool will be effective at what it is designed for if you can use it properly. I think, especially with Datu Worden's tapes, that becoming semi-proficient with the DTL would take less time than with the Pendulum but a novice with the Pendulum (it cuts meat) would be more deadly than with a DTL.

I could see myself possibly using the DTL to gain complaince/control of an unarmed resistive subject or even carrying it daily in a back pocket (it's a piece of plastic!). It's more "carry friendly".

If I needed an edged weapon, I would choose a "real" kerambit over the Pendulum. I've seen Tom Kier and Steve Tarani demonstrate some kerambit techniques and they are WICKED-NASTY with them... A "real" kerambit probably violates one or two weapons laws in most places but, then again, I'm not worrying about carrying/possessing weapons laws.

www.botachtactical.com is one of a few places that sells the DTL for $10 or under (without a sheath).

Greg,

You always ask some very thought provoking questions. I have always been into the curved blades particularly as it relates to SD and martial arts. You mentioned the Impact DLT. I just happen to pick up one of these from the Datu earlier this month. I find that I use the device a lot as a trainer for other hooked blades that I might carry.

I’ve never held the pendulum although I feel that it does have some merits as an SD tool. I’m a sure that CJ had some very specific uses and techniques in mind when he designed the pendulum. I can’t really comment much here.

As for the kerambit, it is now one of my daily carries primarily for SD. Here are a few that I carry:
jsp3.jpg

jsp1.jpg

I used to carry either a fixed blade/folder or a combination of both. I carried a fixed blade for speed of deployment and I’ve found that carrying IWB in reverse grip (edge out) was the fastest way to get the blade into action. Very little wasted motion between draw and delivery.

When training with the Datu, I was reminded of the speed and stealth of this deployment when he grabbed me and produced a Bud Nealy Pesh Kazbz as he hooked the blade around my neck during a take down. The Nealy came from under his shirt from his strong side in reverse grip, edge out. Similarly, the kerambit affords me the same type of draw and speed.

Other knives that I’ve carried IWB have always managed to protrude in some way as to be annoying. The kerambit, with its flat handle is very concealable and comfortable against the body with little if any printing. I’ve also designed a neck sheath for it and wear it often in that mode. Again no printing.

The angle of the blade and dual edges of the kerambit offer advantages over straight knives, particularly when it comes to thrusting. A jab like punch is all that is required to deliver some very powerful thrusts while keeping the bones of the wrist and arm in alignment.

The double edge kerambit can also slash very effectively in either direction. One way with slashes and the other way with rip cuts. In rip cut mode, the blade can be placed in many areas that a straight edge might not be as effective. These areas include, inside the groin cutting upwards and across the intestines “blue worm”, femoral arteries, and limb destruction cuts.

The angle of the kerambit also allows for hooking/cutting and passing limbs much like a straight edge knife can do when held in reverse grip. What the kerambit can do, not only hook and pass but can also maintain control of a limb for locking or take downs.

Additionally holding the blade by the finger hole can extend the kerambit. There are a host of other options using these techniques such as neck grabs, groin rips, leg hooks and arm locks.

Finally, the kerambit is very difficult to disarm. The grip on the handle with finger in the hole is very secure.

S.

I am in favor of the Kerambit. the only thing I know of the Pendulum is what I read in a artical.
I was fortunate enough to train with and help Steve Tarani put his training video together on the Kerambit. The Kerambit can be used either extended or in a closed grip. You can also slash or stab. From what I have seen and read on the Pendulum. You can only slash.

I carry a Custom made Kerambit made by Richard Derespina. It is a great tool for self defense.

Brian Everett

I was forutnate enough to have Mr. Worden send me (unsolicited!) both a kerambit and a rubber trainer - very useful. I don't have experience with a bladed version, but as a previous poster put it: lethal vs. non-lethal. There's a small hole in the kerambit so it can be my "keychain" :)
Sidewinder gives some food for thought over why a bladed version is different than a double-edge held in reverse grip. As for me I've carried the impact kerambit in an easily-accessible and open location with no problem, while the blade is a bit more out of sight. If you use it as an ersatz keychain you can walk around with it in your hand and no one gets spooked - a real advantage in New York city.

1. More on Tarani's video training tape. Where can one order one and how much? Does it interface well with Datu Worden's DTL set?

2. Who's making edged Kerambits? Saw the BladeRigger model (great photos! we will be posting photos of the product evals, too. thank you for taking the time to "illustrate and educate"!).

3. Please keep offering the training and carry insights. Some very good stuff in just the first posts. Cross over thoughts? You train the Kerambit in both its Less Lethal (as opposed to non-lethal. a properly trained player can deanimate someone with the DTL. it would be non-lethal if non-available or made out of foam rubber...and even then...) and weapons grade format. Seems you could then pick and choose what and where you carry for max SD consideration. Thoughts on this?

Keep rockin'

We are working on the official S. Tarani Karambit. It is pretty cool.
The Pendulum certainly has its high points. But it looks like an ulu.

I never had much time for Karambit’s until I met Mr. Tarani. YIKES!

I think they are pretty bitchen.
But I never stick my finger into anything unless:
1. It is warm.
2. It shoots.

Im one of those ‘old dogs’ when it comes to fighting with a knife.

Great forum

Mick

RLTW

Learn something every day.

Forum Folk will be pleased to know that Mick is allowing us to conduct an eval on some of his work. Look for that posting toward the end of April. The T-Kerambit / Strider is (good) news to us and clearly this thread is going to see some activity:D

Ya just never know until you ask...

Was reminded of when Larry Hartsell, original student to Bruce Lee, gave me a brass Kerambit from his personal collection when I interviewed him in LA for Full Contact.

Very simple, and low profile. Light and easy to carry anywhere. No edgework, just leverage and punching power.

Love it.

Sierra, you're right. Some may consider DTL kerambit an impact weapon (as opposed to personal weapon) or fistload or perhaps even a brass-knuckle type weapon (due to the ring) and that would make it less lethal instead of non-lethal. :)

Mick, met you and Duane in Ontario. I, and many others, are eagerly awaiting the result of your and Guro Tarani's collaboration!!

I believe Sidewinder purchased one of his from BladeRigger.

I think TripleAughtDesign has some similar items.

Also, Guro Kier has previously posted that he makes custom kerambits.

Originally posted by Sierra912
1. More on Tarani's video training tape. Where can one order one and how much?

Mr. Walker:

This question appears to have been left in the dust, so FWIW--there are actually 3 videos made by Unique Publications. Their site crashed the computer I'm using and this link came up on Google: http://www.contactdefense.com/products.html .

Retail on them is $39.95 each; Unique has a discount for multiple purchases, although I don't remember how they structure it.

Thanks to all who've posted about them here--I've been leery of buying any more Unique tapes but have been encouraged by what's been said about them in this thread.

More on Tarani's video training tape. Where can one order one and how much?

I originally tried to get the tapes directly form Steve, but he is a very busy guy. He told me to go to CFW Enterprises. Here's a link:

http://www.cfw2.com/product.asp?s=cfw&pf_id=KARAM03&dept_id=259

The price per tape retail for $39.95 but if you join there site (free) you get a discount. I ordered the set and got it delivered very quickly from CFW.

Randal16-1 appears in the tape set as one of Steve's training partners.

If one has any knife experiance, I would recommend getting tape 3 as the first two are pretty basic. Besides tape 3 encompasses the material from the first two tapes.

Mr. Walker,

Send me a e-mail. I have one set of the Tarani Karambit tapes left.

You can call Unique Publications at 1-800-332-3330 to order the tapes.

I great Karambit trainer can be ordered through www.edge2.com . This also makes a great non-leathel tool to.

Mr. Strider I can't wait to see the Tarani Karambit.

Sidewinder, How do you like the JSP karambit. I will be picking one up through TAD here pretty soon.

Love this topic, Brian Everett

Hi folks! Newbie here. Want to say this forum is full of good insight. As for the kerambit, it or a stinger from JK comtech give you options that later may help with legal issues. A hunk of plastic for a keychain that is used for defense is easier for police to accept than using the edged version . Less mess, doesn't show intent to do major harm.Just a thought.

The biggest issue with the two is probably training. I have briefly handled the Pendulum, and found that you basically turn your hand into an edged weapon. It seemed like something very natural. I have taken private lessons from Steve Tarani on use of the Kerambit. He is truely the man when it comes to this (and most other blade stuff) weapon and its use. Trying to use a real Kerambit without instruction and dedicated training time is a recipe for a trip to the E/R for some clean up. I have a trainer that I keep in my vehicle that I use to manipulate to distract me from SoCal traffic. I am waiting as patiently as I can for my bros at Strider to get me my first Strider/Tarani set. I think it will be a real usuable tool for those willing to spend the training time.

The COMTECH Stinger was covered in Full Contact or Fighting Knives when first introduced by Jim Keating.

Good catch re: it's inclusion in the kerambit family. And likewise good advice. It is as non-threatening an appearing self defense tool as you can get but with training it becomes a more than viable piece of gear for street survival.

Methinks Jim still offers these on the COMTECH website.

Master knife maker Gil Hibben offers a "fang", or kerambit, and has for some time now. E. Emerson does a similar blade in neck knife format. Grace Cassillas, female martial artist and free form fighter likewise designed her MOD offering with kerambit thought processes in mind, from what it appears like to me.

I favor the DTL Kerambit with pocket clip. This is way handy and very fast ref: the draw stroke. The DTL-K is large enough to offer one a serious tool for effecting truly impressive arm bars and pressure point control enhancement. It likewise enhances that quick jab or punch, and is powerful when one is forced to effect bone breaks (clavicle, fingers, facial, upper foot and toes, for example).

In reviewing Mr. Worden's training tape (#2) I am reminded of its designer's belief that one needs to be able to open the hand holding the DTL-K without losing it...in order to grab, pinch, and so on. The ergonomic design of the DTL-K makes this way possible and hence does not limit your ability to effect new techniques sans the tool during a confrontation.

The applications for a DTL-K in either specialized LE, street work, or military special operations is unlimited. This is a quick, handy, and effective item for effecting come-alongs, pain control and compliance strategies / techniques, and effective non-firearm self-defense or protection.

Way interested in hearing more from those of you who train and carry bladed kerambits. Especially training tips and insights as well as how you indeed carry the item of your choice.

Post on:D

I know we were talking about the impact kerambit, but we started talking about the knife kerambit. Other than Laci Zabo's GLO kerambit that's made of G-10, is there anyone making cutting kerambits from alternative materials such as, titanium, ceramic,zerconia? The G-10 is a step in the direction I want to go, but I want it to cut more like a steel bladed one would but non-magnetic. Point toward a maker.All help appreciated.

I have had a very limited demo of the pendulum from Mr. Caracci. As Nyeti said, it does turn your hand into an edged weapon. It is a very effective tool when taught proper techniques and Mr. Caracci defintely had something specific in mind. After the demo and holding the pendulum, I ordered one. It is priced high, but it is an effective weapon. The techniques Mr Caracci demostrated were very destructive. He also talked about his thinking behind the knife, it was all very interesting.
I have no experience with the Kerambit, but this discussion has really peaked my interest!!
Thanks for the great discussion.
Peter

Finally, someone who actually owns a Pendulum.

On a different note, I own an MOD Ladyhawk and it is very similar to a Kerambit. its folding nature is a benefit for me, since I cannot legally carry any fixed blade in MO. It is also a great piece for IWB carry when jogging or the like due to its very small size and light weight when folded. You can get deals on them on ebay and occasionally on the forums sometimes.

Actually, I don't own one yet. Still waiting on delivery. On a side note.... The pendulum is not a knife you would hand someone to cut an apple with. This severely limits its purpose to SD/SO, exactly what it was designed for. This might be another reason why people have a problem with it. Most will own one, and never cut anything with it. Hopefully I won't.
Maybe Andy Prisco will chime in, Mr. Caracci might have mentioned something more to him.
Peter

Back