Kerambit vrs. Pendulum

I got the pics Randal16-1, thanks! It gives me much more info to think about. Now I just have to find someone to give me a use demo at a show!

Pictures of another Kerambit I just picked up from tadgear.com:

Duncan/Liong folding kerambit:
duncan2.jpg

duncanbf1.jpg

S.

This is intended to serve as a hunter's/woodsman's tool, and it isn't a Kerambit or a Pendulum, but it feels like it would be a pretty nasty weapon when held in reverse grip: www.silverstar.com/turnermfg

With a convex grind on properly treated D2, it holds an impressive edge. Just thought I'd throw it in for your entertainment.

I had the opportunity to chat with Kelly Worden up in Tacoma this last weekend.

His DTL Kerambit is a big hit with special operations folks serving overseas right now. Less Lethal in nature it offers them a variety of options and alternatives to self-protection on and off duty other than guns/knives.

Worden has explored edged Kerambit prototypes but today feels these are simply far too verticle a weapon. A Kerambit IS an edged weapon that has little cross-over as anything else. As military or paramilitary item it offers some distinct advantages if trained properly. For civilian carry and application, in Mr. Worden's mind, it is simply asking for lots of unnecessary questions and conclusions after the fact. The DTL was the result of this concern and proactive, positive approach on his part.

An interesting discussion and topic.

For those of you who are interested in owning a Karambit. Keep your eyes open for the Strider Tarani Karambit.

I talk with Steve Tarani today, he told me that the Strider guys have but together one of the best Karambit out there. Keeping with a traditional style type blade with some modern updates to make this one incredible tool.

Hopefully we can get some input from the Strider Guys on the actual release date and some photos.

For civilian carry and application, in Mr. Worden's mind, it is simply asking for lots of unnecessary questions and conclusions after the fact.

When I talked to the Datu about a month ago at a local seminar, he said that the kerambit was too viscious a design to have out in the general public. It's true that the kerambit is designed with one thing in mind but then again this is the Battle Blades forum...

S.

So, a Kerambit is a weapon; it wasn't designed with peeling potatoes or openning envelopes in mind. Is that a bad thing? Not in my opinion. What really matters is how one uses it. As far as I'm concerned, self-protection against an unprovoked and otherwise unavoidable attack is as noble a goal as can be, even if you're a lowly member of the "general public". I can't see why any decent, responsible human being should be ashamed of carrying a weapon of self-defense.

I too think it is noble. However there is a difference between being ashamed of carrying a weapon for self defense and seeking to avoid hassles. You and I might know it is there for when the merde hits the vantilator but it is a lot less of a pain in the arse if it is just a "tool". Were I rich and famous, yeah I might openly carry a self-defense weapon as a form of protest/public awareness. Kinda like Woody Harrelson does with marijuana. However, as members of the general public it pays to pick your battles.

Hey, fellas -

A ginzu knife in the right hands is a vicious weapon.

I really don't think it's a matter of anyone being "ashamed" to carry this, that, or the other thing.

I do, however, believe we all have a right to feel one way or the other about certain instruments, items, or weapons and whether or not we'd be comfortable carrying / using them for our own personal needs.

One educates himself...trains to be effective...studies to be articulate...then chooses whatever means he is most comfortable with and using for the appropriate reasons.

One man's kerambit is another man's bowie is another man's hobbit.

And one guy might be hell on wheels with a Swiss Army knife and feel that's all that's needed or necessary.

I'm personally looking foward to Mick's Strider/Tarani Kerambit having just now begun working with Strider Knives, courtesy of Da Man himself. I love my Worden DTL Kerambit, which is Less Lethal in design and nature. Everything in its place and for its purpose. As Musashi wrote - the warrior should have no favorite weapon...he should rather be skilled (trained / knowledgeable) in all those with which he comes in contact with or may have to face.

This thread is a very productive one on the Kerambit. Anyone doing active training with this style of blade and wish to share their insights / experiences?

Back