Kerambit vrs. Pendulum

I understand the SD only aspect. I have knives that are carried and (hopefully) never used. Still the price seems too high. If it were made at a price point closer to $100 or less I would look at it seriously. I would also need access to training in its proper use whether it be through videos, books, seminars, whatever. Right now, I believe that it is just not an effective option for most people.

I think you hit the right reason. There is just no available training, tapes, ect.. Mr. Caracci is a very busy man by all accounts. I only saw a glimpse of its potential and that was enough to peak my interest! The price is a bit high, but...
Peter

Who is the originator of the Kermabit? If I wanted to make some who would I talk to to get permission?

I was under the impression that Kerambits were a traditional knife originating in the Phillipenes. Then again, I could be totally off base. Wouldn't be the first time.

Check out Kris Kutlery Sandata (spelling?) as they offer what I think is a traditional kerambit. I don't think it is patent protected as I've seen versions ofered by Atlanta Cutlery for about 8 bucks. They call it a "ninja" weapon.

The Kerambit is part of the vast edged weapons arsenal of Indonesia. I for one would love to see a version by Rob Simonich!
Guro Ray Dionaldo makes a great Kerambit trainer. In fact, his whole line of training blades is very well-made (I have four so far). His work can be seen here:

Warrior Craft Blades

Leo

BTW, that Strider/Tarani collaboration sounds really promising - hope it becomes reality soon.

Here is a picture of the training kerambit that I ordered from trainingblades.com Bob at trainingblades is a great guy to deal with too!

taranikarambit.jpg

I believe it's the one that Steve Tarani has authorized.

S.

Thanks for the info guys, I know very little about Kermabits or how to use them. But I know I like a weapon that can stab effectively, slashing is secondary to me. Here is a couple prototypes, the top one is my design, the Hawkbill is designed by Liong Mah.

BTW, great forum Greg! :)

Attachments

• mvc-006f.jpg
    mvc-006f.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 401
Rob,

Once again, you have proven that you are a Man and a Knifemaker to be reckoned with when it comes to doing just about anything you damned well please to do with a piece of steel.

Those are really great, Buddy!

I own the DTL and I carry it in my back pocket so it will appear that I am reaching for my wallet in case of a robbery that does not involve a firearm being pointed in my direction. I have Mr. Worden's tape and it is very informative-but if push comes to shove a knee to the groin and a hammer fist while holding the DTL is better than slapping some goon around.

I am seeing a trend in comparing small hawkbilled blades as kerambits....they are not. What makes a real kerambit special is to have the ability to both spin the blade and get multiple cuts with every stroke, and to extend the blade on the index finger to double its range and reach. It is also fairly critical for the Kerabit to be double edged to cut on both strokes. There are some very fundemental moves that are done with a Kerambit that also work very well with a hawksbill in reverse (which is why I daily carry a Emerson P-Sark), but they are very different.

Does anyone have a list of custom makers who do kerambits and some pics of them that they could post? The one's that Guro Dan would whip out of no where were always real small. Don't know if they were indigenous Indonesian or if they were made domestically.

Thanks Don! Now to be totally honest, I dont really have a clue what is expected of this design! I dont know squat about knife fighting, but I do know stabs are more effective for the most part. Thats why i like the 45 acp, beautifull stabbing weapon! :)

I would really like to hear more about this style of knife, not the pure impact weapon but the edged variety so I can improve my designs. Suggestions anyone? Greg?

Greg, by the way do you remember an FBI guy from Butte Montana? He corresponded with you quite a bit in the late 80's and talked about you a lot. I made him and his fellow agents a literal ton of knives. His nick name was "Gunner"

SouthNarc, I believe the Karambits that Guro Dan had where from the late Herman Sawanda. Herman Sawanda was the one that trained Guro Dan in the art of Mande Muda Penjak Silat. The Karambits where made in West Java by the Sawanda Family.

Mr. Simonich, I will send you some Photo's of traditional Karambits if that will help you get some idea's on making them in a traditional way using modern steel.

Brian Everett

Here is another Kerambit trainer, this one by Guro Ray's Warrior Craft. Excellent quality and prices.

kerambit.jpg

Mr. Simonich,

I sent the photos. Please let me know if you do not get them. I was having a heck of a time trying to send them.

Brain Everett

Back