Kershaw/ZT Picture Thread!!! Let's See Em'!

I like it a bit more than the 0909, but I don't want to scratch up the exquisite milling, so the 0909 gets the nod for carry. Truth be told I have a duplicate 0909 because I like that model so much for carry. The 0909 is quite a bit heavier than the 0920.
I hear you on that, I like the G10 on both sides, not a lot of ZTs are like that. Super tough knife, the 0909.
The 0920 is beautiful, I’m surprised it’s lighter, but I guess that’s because of steel/g10 vs titanium. I think I’d be a little hesitant to sharpen that blade personally lol
Those 0909s on the other hand are pretty easy to sharpen, S35 instead of 20Cv too. They are awesome user knives, and I actually have 2 as well lol one with green “GP” scales, and one BNIB… so I completely understand! 😂

Always wanted an 0801, they are such good looking knives! If another one came along for a decent price I don't think i could pass it up. Same with the 0620 always loved that design! A 0630 would be nice too.

My 0452 did get an FFG regrind recently but cant remember if I posted it in this thread so here it is.
A83CAB26-C6F7-4337-97F1-7CDDB1AD0247.jpeg
The factory geometry was my only gripe with the 0452 but it cuts much better now at approx .012” BTE at the heel going up to .017” towards the tip. Think I’d like to do another 0452 sometime and keep the original grind lines, just thinned out, as I do miss that aesthetic, but I’m happy with the performance of this one.

Always wanted an 0801, they are such good looking knives! If another one came along for a decent price I don't think i could pass it up. Same with the 0620 always loved that design! A 0630 would be nice too.

My 0452 did get an FFG regrind recently but cant remember if I posted it in this thread so here it is.
View attachment 2447916
The factory geometry was my only gripe with the 0452 but it cuts much better now at approx .012” BTE at the heel going up to .017” towards the tip. Think I’d like to do another 0452 sometime and keep the original grind lines, just thinned out, as I do miss that aesthetic, but I’m happy with the performance of this one.
That’s cool…Looks good too…They are a little thick BTE, think you’ll go with a hollow grind next time? I’ve never had a regrind done, because they usually have a weird looking satin/stonewash contrast, but that model is a perfect candidate for a regrind, aesthetically speaking. The bevel will probably look a lot better after a sharpening, compared to a stock one too, because of how damn thick they are 👍 post pics if you get another one done!

sJssrmhh.jpg

That’s cool…Looks good too…They are a little thick BTE, think you’ll go with a hollow grind next time? I’ve never had a regrind done, because they usually have a weird looking satin/stonewash contrast, but that model is a perfect candidate for a regrind, aesthetically speaking. The bevel will probably look a lot better after a sharpening, compared to a stock one too, because of how damn thick they are 👍 post pics if you get another one done!

Thanks I actually didn’t realize it was gonna be full FFG until i saw the after pics but that was on me as the maker said thats what he could do with this model, i just read the email too fast, and it turned out ok so all is good.
I do love hollow grinds, suppose it just depends on the model and regrinder what can be done but I’d be happy with a thinned out flat grind again with the original grind lines on the next 0452. I’ve seen some Spartan Harseys reground to hollows and they look awesome!

As far as finishes, I've had a few regrinds done by different makers and own a few more that were already done before acquiring and the finishes all look fairly similar to me. (I’d post pics but they're all FFG Spydercos prior to this ZT). Think somewhat like satin Reate grind lines type of finish but a little smoother. Had a couple Manixs done by Tom Krein 2-3 years ago and IIRC he said the usual treatment is like 120/220 grit belt then followed up with a surface conditioning belt. The finish isn't as smooth as most factory finishes but its not rough at all and looks plenty nice to me. Also regrinds can correct blades acquired with bad sharpening jobs, heavy use/lots of scratches, or thickening up from multiple sharpenings over time. I had those Manixs done at .008” BTE and they are laser beams now along with fixing some of those issues mentioned.

I relegated a SRK and a rat 1 for my wife's emergency blades, she wouldn't appreciate my ZTs 😁
Well, I like the 0620, but it's kind of a pocket hog, and weighs over an ounce more than my 0562Ti. It's more than I like to carry in my pocket, so I keep it where it might do some good. Besides, her Jeep is a Grand Cherokee & it's our "going away" vehicle, so I end up driving it about as much as she does.

Thanks I actually didn’t realize it was gonna be full FFG until i saw the after pics but that was on me as the maker said thats what he could do with this model, i just read the email too fast, and it turned out ok so all is good.
I do love hollow grinds, suppose it just depends on the model and regrinder what can be done but I’d be happy with a thinned out flat grind again with the original grind lines on the next 0452. I’ve seen some Spartan Harseys reground to hollows and they look awesome!

As far as finishes, I've had a few regrinds done by different makers and own a few more that were already done before acquiring and the finishes all look fairly similar to me. (I’d post pics but they're all FFG Spydercos prior to this ZT). Think somewhat like satin Reate grind lines type of finish but a little smoother. Had a couple Manixs done by Tom Krein 2-3 years ago and IIRC he said the usual treatment is like 120/220 grit belt then followed up with a surface conditioning belt. The finish isn't as smooth as most factory finishes but its not rough at all and looks plenty nice to me. Also regrinds can correct blades acquired with bad sharpening jobs, heavy use/lots of scratches, or thickening up from multiple sharpenings over time. I had those Manixs done at .008” BTE and they are laser beams now along with fixing some of those issues mentioned.
That is a great point about getting rid of scratches, heavy use and repeated sharpenings. I’d like to get a regrind some day, maybe on a Hinderer. And have the whole thing done in belt satin, kind of like your 0452… I’d like to see how different they are with “proper knife geometry” lol. Some of those make the ZTs look like PM2s BTE 😂
Something to think about, thanks for sharing!

I hear you on that, I like the G10 on both sides, not a lot of ZTs are like that. Super tough knife, the 0909.
The 0920 is beautiful, I’m surprised it’s lighter, but I guess that’s because of steel/g10 vs titanium. I think I’d be a little hesitant to sharpen that blade personally lol
Those 0909s on the other hand are pretty easy to sharpen, S35 instead of 20Cv too. They are awesome user knives, and I actually have 2 as well lol one with green “GP” scales, and one BNIB… so I completely understand! 😂
The 0920 has lightening cut outs in the interior of the handle, which I'm sure lightens it considerably. I don't have a postal scale, but it seems like it weighs about as much as the 0900.

Not sure if that 0452 regrind is done by BGM. I have an xm-18 skinny slicer with BGM hollow grind. Man it's such a wicked slicer. I asked BGM if they can do a hollow grind on one of my 0452s. They told me they can do a ffg. I'm not sure if they didn't read my request clearly or they only do FFG on 0452 (maybe the blade is too narrow for a hollow grind?)

Not sure if that 0452 regrind is done by BGM. I have an xm-18 skinny slicer with BGM hollow grind. Man it's such a wicked slicer. I asked BGM if they can do a hollow grind on one of my 0452s. They told me they can do a ffg. I'm not sure if they didn't read my request clearly or they only do FFG on 0452 (maybe the blade is too narrow for a hollow grind?)

It was done by BGM and he did say the same thing, only offered FFG for the 0452. I didn't request a hollow grind but maybe another regrinder could do it, could be the 0452 requires a different size grinding wheel he didn't have (for a narrower blade like you mentioned) or maybe its just something about that blade design that makes it not doable or too much liability but thats just me speculating. I’ve seen other 0452 regrinds that retain the stock grind lines and thin out the primary bevels but still in a flat grind.
A hollow ground 0452 would definitely be awesome if that is a possibility.

It was done by BGM and he did say the same thing, only offered FFG for the 0452. I didn't request a hollow grind but maybe another regrinder could do it, could be the 0452 requires a different size grinding wheel he didn't have (for a narrower blade like you mentioned) or maybe its just something about that blade design that makes it not doable or too much liability but thats just me speculating. I’ve seen other 0452 regrinds that retain the stock grind lines and thin out the primary bevels but still in a flat grind.
A hollow ground 0452 would definitely be awesome if that is a possibility.
The BGM ffg done on your 0452 Looks great. Thanks for posting the picture. This helps me decide to go ahead ask him do the same for me. I don't mind the stock grind lines being pushed up further.

The BGM ffg done on your 0452 Looks great. Thanks for posting the picture. This helps me decide to go ahead ask him do the same for me. I don't mind the stock grind lines being pushed up further.

Look forward to seeing some pics when it’s done😎

I just scored this LNIB Nakamura (1480)

Wr7Wxc6.jpg

gVDi3YM.jpg

JULQf3u.jpg

cc925a68-eebb-5453-999d-974084e2ef39__43292.1686361084.jpg

The last pic is off the Net because I can take a decent close up of the bolster & blade.

---------------------------------------------

Here's a description of the knife if you've never heard of or seen it before:

The Nakamura’s (Model 1480) bolster features 19 layers of steel and vari-colored copper, expertly worked so that the colors are exposed in intricate patterns. No dyes or other coloring process is used to produce the pattern—it’s all done through the art of the metalsmith. There are ten layers of steel, five layers of the familiar copper-colored copper, and four layers of a brass-colored copper. The combined effect is simply stunning.

The unique bolster is a fitting accent for Kershaw’s super-hard blade.

The 2 7/8-in. blade features a core of VG-10 “Super Steel” layered with 420J2 stainless. VG-10 is composed of Cobalt, Molybdenum, Vanadium, and other metals. Harder than other quality steels, it takes and holds an incredibly sharp edge longer. The combined VG-10 and 420J2 earns this blade a Rockwell Hardness rating of 57-59.

Yet even the handle on the new Nakamura is special. It’s shaped from exotic quince wood. Quince features complex color variations that blend wood tones ranging from dark espresso to warm caramel, which handsomely accents the tri-colored bolster. The Nakamura is designed to get attention. But it backs up its good looks with the quality and top performance knife users have come to expect from Kershaw. Old discontinued model that is hard to find. Brand new in box with paperwork.

Features:
Blade Material: Clad VG-10 Stainless Steel
Handle Material: Quince Burl Wood
Blade Length: 2-7/8
Closed Length: 3-7/8
Weight: 3.2 oz

---------------------------------------------

You can tell how old the Nakamura is by the reference to VG10 as a "Super Steel" in the description. LOL! ;)

The only other vintage Kershaw that I'm looking for now is the wood (quince) handled variation of the Splinter (1460) complete w/the box & insert.

HMU if you've got one you'd like to sell or know where I can get one. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is that a PJ 0562? How do you like it compared to the 0562TI? I have a CF and TI pair, but haven't handled the original. I am seriously tempted to pick up the new 0562MIC Micarta/MagnaCut model though.
Yeah, it's a plain Jane & it was my first ZT. It's in Elmax, but I like the CPM20 steel of the 562Ti better, so I gave the PJ to my one son. It's still a great knife. The MagnaCut sounds interesting though. Like I need another knife.

Carrying my "good vibes" 0357 today. Assisted opening isn't usually my thing but my dad appreciates it (he really likes the Shallot). When a 0357 stonewash/blackwash pair came up on the exchange a couple years back I picked both up, sent him the BW and kept the SW for myself.

Appreciate ZT for a fun little design and the forum (particularly JonesE JonesE ) for a good deal that made for a good gift.

EHkD4bC.jpg

Back