Lets see some Hinderer action

A couple / three years ago our friend ferider ferider introduced me to the XM-18, specifically the Gen 4. I owned a couple and just found the pattern too over the top for an EDC knife. Too heavy too bulky. I than tried the Eklipse and liked it more but just found myself comparing them to CRK and they just didnt compare so back I went and have stayed there.

Last week I found myself digging an old coke bottle and old beer can out of a river bank with an Inkosi. While the Inkosi is an awesome knife and as close as overbuilt as CRK makes, it’s just not an indestructible tool that will hold up to that kinda abuse.

I was thinking maybe I should put an E tool in my day pack and when I had a great idea…I need another XM-18!

I looked and found an almost new in box ( scale and stand off change) Gen 4 and its my new woods beater. Im gonna drive this thing like a rented mule!!!!

I mean let’s be honest, If you break a Sebenza / Inkosi you are an idiot. If you break an XM-18 you are a legend!

Here it is. Late Gen 4 Spanto, Sterile blade and MEFP Carbon Fiber Scale (orange in route).

Amazing late Gen 4 with fantastic action on teflon. What a beast.

This is gonna be a lot of fun.
View attachment 2512628

View attachment 2512629

Last edited:
i-4r3vXZX-X2.jpg

I think I might prefer the feel without the flipper, but I'd have to open it 2 handed. Is my detent just overly strong or is there a trick to thumb opening a Hinderer? This is my one and only Hinderer.View attachment 2516084View attachment 2516085
On non flippers the detent is weaker to be in tune with the external stop pins being used as thumbstuds. In the flipper variant of an xm-18 the thumbstuds are actually just stop pins, external ones, and the detent is calibrated to flipper deployment only.

I think I might prefer the feel without the flipper, but I'd have to open it 2 handed. Is my detent just overly strong or is there a trick to thumb opening a Hinderer? This is my one and only Hinderer.View attachment 2516084View attachment 2516085
The late gen 4s made great candidates for ther flipper delete as the detent was perfect for it to be open with just the stop bar/studs

Thanks, guys! Makes sense. I may have to keep my eyes open for a non-flipper to try! I am really enjoying the one I have, though.

Best Hinderer's ever made IMHO. Honestly the only one's I seriously consider buying.
This is my third and I so regret letting the others go. I tried the tr-way and didn't like it at all. There’s just something about the 4

Back