Line-Up for the Ti-Pen

Keep the discussion of the construction and use in the other thread, this is just a headcount. Not by E-mail please, just plop your name down here.

We need to know who is going to be interested in it for certain price ranges.

Up to $110.00 Shipped, who is interested?

Up to $160.00 Shipped, who is interested?

We do not have a set price on the finished project just yet folks, so nothing is written in stone. But if you want one in those ballpark figures, put your name here. We are hoping for no more than $100.00 but we don't know about the Machining end of it yet.

Under the $100.00 price point & I'm in for sure. Above that & I'll have to chew on it a bit...

Rugger,
We are trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. We don't want to pay a large sum any more than you do.
Reed

Sub-$100 & I'm in. I know Ti is expensive & the idea's a good one but even for a "pen with benefits," that's a bit of a stretch for me.

BTW, the more of us who want into this, the cheaper it'll probably get...

Yes,

We are desperately trying to keep the price down, Reed is the Point Man in this Operation, I just designed it and put it on paper, so to speak.

I know that Machine Shop run times can run from $50.00 to $100.00 per hour, that plus an expensive material like Titanium...you see the problems.

When you take that into consideration, you can see that at the prices we are shooting at (and this is more Reed than me doing this, applaud him) no one is making any money on this except the Machine Shop and the Ti Supplier...

I think if anyone wants to see how outrageous things can be, for a name, you could go to www.ebay.com and type in "mont blanc" and see how much the "Classic Fighting Pen" goes for...and you could see that this promises to be something far better for alot less. The starting prices are nothing in some cases, it is the finishing prices one should pay attention to.

The Fisher Space Pen innards were chosen because they are the best suited for "The Tactical Realm" as they will write under almost any horrible condition you can imagine, which is a real plus.

Because I am "into" Balisongs, I spend alot of my time in that forum at BFC, and I have found some instructions on Anodizing at home, electrically, using low voltage. That came to the Balisong Forum via the Chris Reeves Forum via a Model [RC] Car site in Australia!!! Believe it or not.

Doing it OUTSIDE of your home as poisonous gasses are generated, could you believe that you could Anodize your own pen with a cup full of Spic N' Span™ or Clean Shower™ and three (3) 9-Volt Batteries wired together? Well, it looks like you can...so we might take that part out of the process altogether and let you do it yourself. OR...you can "Thermally Anodize," which is just passing a regular torch (like used for soldering plumbing joints, etc.) flame over the Titanium so it changes colors. It's not really "Anodizing" at all, but a rainbow of colors can be achieved. You just can't control it to the degree of chemical Anodizing...

Sub $110 sounds good, I'll take one to play with now...maybe another later if it works for me. Thanks for your efforts Don and Reed!
Stay Safe...
Clyde

Thanks to Don & Reed-
For some reason the $100.00 price point seems to be some sort of mystical magic limit- something about the extra digit perhaps. I'm certain you guys are trying to do the best you're able on all fronts- Very interesting project- I'm a bit of a pen junky & this sounds great.
Regards,
Mike

Well,

The hope is, $110.00 or under, shipped. It's a tough nut to crack because of Ti and Machining, but he's trying. :D

Don:

I'm not arguing the quality of what's in the works here, the obnoxiously high prices raw Ti commands, or the skills & tools needed to work it. This is a really neat-sounding toy that I'd love to have; the timing just intersects badly with other priorities at the moment.

However, I might be able to ratchet up how much I can spend if this is coming 3-5 months away from now...

I'm in for something in the $100-$125 range. I've been dreaming about something similar for a few years, but didn't know if anyone would make it.

Don & Reed, you guys rock!

I hate you both! :D Canadian $$ just doesn't cut it when you like these type of tactical toys.

Can't promise, but I'd be mighty interested in the sub-110 point.

Man, don't check the forum for awhile and come back to find much to blow cash on.

ZF

Thanks guys,

Eda-Koppo,
I could probably hold on to one for a couple of months.

I have no real news to report from the machinists. Still waiting.
Reed

Yeah...I'll take one for $110

Cool tool, cool pen. You can hardly get a nice new pen these days for under a hundred dollars. To pay a little extra for one that has the added "bang" for the buck, IMO is well worth it. Besides, it's a limited supply thing and who knows, if it is made, there may only be one production run.

S.

I see a risk in the cap loosening itself (since it is threaded for only 1 turn), and the pen flying off if an attempt is made to swing the pen using the lanyard. In my humble opinion, maybe designing a pen which requires more turns to open the cap, or some locking device will increase security? I know it'll then be a pain to use it as a writing instrument, but in a life and death situation, I think most people would choose reliability...

Whatever the case, please put me down for at least 1 for up to $160(maybe even 2, depending on if the final price is any lower...)

Thanks...I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for developments... getting really excited now.... :D

If this project becomes a reality, it might not have a threaded Cap but a lug and groove. But I still have to go see if I can find a quick release for the Lanyard because it would best be used in the hand, preferably in reverse grip.

Thanks for the info Don. I'm still for at least one depending on the price...finally there's a possibility of EDC self-defense tool without the risk of incurring legal liability...

Back