Lock Strength Test Request - Extrema Ratio RAO vs the Cold Steel 4-MAX

Still doesn't make it fixed-blade, brother. And the title of "strongest 4" folding knife in the world" is still on the line.

Actually no....

Being Technical about it. ;)

Start averaging things....

4" is still 4"....

4.53" is 5" as one rounds up to the next largest number at anything from 1/2" and up.

We'll see. But if Cold Steel doesn't take up the challenge, they'll hear about it for time immemorial I suspect.

Still doesn't make it fixed-blade, brother. And the title of "strongest 4" folding knife in the world" is still on the line.

I have to argue that point. It could be viewed as a fixed blade if the blade is "mounted/fastened" to the handles it would be be no different than a non-full tang fixed blade.;)

I have to argue that point. It could be viewed as a fixed blade if the blade is "mounted/fastened" to the handles it would be be no different than a non-full tang fixed blade.;)

There are a lot of those around. :)

That's true I suppose. But it don't believe it applies to the RAO. My understanding is the pin passes through the frame but not through the blade. So the blade isn't "mounted/fastened" to the handle, it's just supported by the pin.

Where are the fasten points? Are they in the frame or do they pass through the blade? If they don't pass through the blade, they don't "fasten" the blade to handle. They just support it.

I was almost positive the pin on the RAO passed through the blade. I could be wrong. If not, you are correct.

I can't tell from the pictures online. But Jim said he had a RAO at one point. He should be able to tell us. So how about it, Jim? Does the pin pass through the blade or not?

If not , I take back my premise. It does look like it doesn't pass through the blade, but is more of a stop.:thumbup:

I can't tell from the pictures online. But Jim said he had a RAO at one point. He should be able to tell us. So how about it, Jim? Does the pin pass through the blade or not?

Never took one apart, but if I remember there is a notch that the pin passed through.

You beat me to it. :) Here's what ER says about it:

"The blade, because of it’s weight, is a real guillotine. The extra safe device is a steel pin to be hand screwed through two holes placed by the guard zone of the massive aluminum alloy handle. This device is necessary because of the violence of the chopping ability of this uncommon folder. The presence of this concrete pin between the blade and the user hands is a great psychological assistance to chop strongly and quickly."

It's hard to tell from that whether the pin passes through all or a portion of the blade. But I imagine we'll find out when Cold Steel destroys a RAO as part of the testing. :)

You beat me to it. :) Here's what ER says about it:

"The blade, because of it’s weight, is a real guillotine. The extra safe device is a steel pin to be hand screwed through two holes placed by the guard zone of the massive aluminum alloy handle. This device is necessary because of the violence of the chopping ability of this uncommon folder. The presence of this concrete pin between the blade and the user hands is a great psychological assistance to chop strongly and quickly."

It's hard to tell from that whether the pin passes through all or a portion of the blade. But I imagine we'll find out when Cold Steel destroys a RAO as part of the testing. :)

Sounds to me they ain't have faith in they primary lock.

Possibly.

I say we get back to waiting to see what Cold Steel is going to do. Even though some folks did everything they could to give CS excuses not to perform the test including inventing folding fixed-blade knives, I assume most of us would like to see the test anyway. And for what it's worth, I still say CS's claim for making the strongest 4" folding knife in the world is on the line, technicalities notwithstanding. YMMV.

Last edited:
Kind of rubs me the wrong way that people, knowing that CS has the strongest lock on the market, are now trying to pin it against quasi-folders with 1/4" thick blade stock with locking pins.It just seems really reaching for something to defeat the Tri-ad lock with unfair rules.It's also no surprise that the ones most vocal in this thread for this match up to happen are the same snarky, thread derailers that have been active in other threads.Posters that should have already been banned from the subforum or at least given warnings IMO.

Back