Looking to add a multi tool to EDC

I carry a day bag that has most my daily use stuff in it.

Want to add a multi tool. I’ve had a few along the years. But never one that seemed to speak to me.

Don’t need anything crazy. Just the small tasks that can pop up daily. I’m sure a Leatherman Wave will be recommended. And I’d probably be fine with that. But wanted to see what y’all had/use/maybe selling haha. You never know!

I like the Spirit the best, but it's too big for me to EDC. I settled with the Alox MiniChamp on my keychain, sometimes supplemented with the Knipex Cobra XS. Well, or with the Spirit.

I carry a victorinox spirit everyday on my belt without fail. I have done so for approximately 2 yrs now, before that I carried a Leatherman rebar for several years, before that was a Leatherman Wave.

Honestly, for a hard working tool you don’t mind occasionally using as a hammer, it’s hard to beat a Leatherman rebar or wave, for a more elegant and finished tool, the victorinox takes the lead.

For infrequent use in some sort of day purse, you could likely do fine with a less expensive Leatherman such as a bond. For a tool aficionado such as myself you would appreciate the fit, finish, and attention to detail in the victorinox tools, for a hardcore user that treats it as a handy tool only, a full size Leatherman is what you want.

Don’t bother with anything else, SOG, Gerber, ect. None hold a candle in real world use to Leatherman or victorinox, either of those two are real tools.

Any of those mentioned above would be fine.
My EDC is a 5.11 12 Rush.
This Aus Issue Swisstool lives in the RHS forward pouch, formerly occupied by my venerable Swisstool X.
Since I have my Huntsman, and I don't need two scissors, this one gets the spot and adds a serrated blade if needed.:thumbsup:
mVScND2h.jpg

See I have a Leatherman free T4. Which I like the variety. I really contemplate keeping that and just adding the Knipex Cobra XS that everyone seems to love. But then again having it all in one is a nice idea too

Those cobras have incredible grip, if you need pliers on occasion with grip like that then they are nice to have, but they aren’t a replacement for traditional multitool pliers that have a more needle nose shape. Fine detail work, most random light duty plier chores, and things like pulling fuses work better with a traditional needle nose style plier head tool, the knipex excel at gripping things that regular pliers struggle to hold, ie. nuts and bolts, stripped fasteners, rusted and seized hardware.

As a professional auto mechanic, I’m never far away from a pair or two of full size knipex cobras, but they don’t work well for at least half of the plier related uses I run into regularly. You just have to look at your usual plier usage and evaluate whether a gripping plier like the knipex is what you need, or if you get more use out of a general purpose plier like on a rebar or Swisstool.

As a professional auto mechanic, I’m never far away from a pair or two of full size knipex cobras, but they don’t work well for at least half of the plier related uses I run into regularly. You just have to look at your usual plier usage and evaluate whether a gripping plier like the knipex is what you need, or if you get more use out of a general purpose plier like on a rebar or Swisstool.
Ahh so knipex are nice. But really better suited as an addition. One OR the other a Leatherman would be more well rounded?

Leatherman is more well rounded as an EDC tool. Knipex are very nice, but I don’t ever feel the need to have them with me away from my tool box at work.

If you don’t work in the trades or as a hobbyist, then a regular Leatherman tool will serve you better IMO.

Knipex are absolutely worth the money to own and a joy to use when they are needed, but they aren’t as versatile and more of a specialty tool.

In my opinion the Wave+ is the most versatile and reliable of the mid/ large size MT. The Surge and Super tool are also great but a good bit heavier. For outdoor stuff I like the Signal as it’s more designed for outdoor activities where the Wave is more mechanical oriented.

Leatherman is more well rounded as an EDC tool. Knipex are very nice, but I don’t ever feel the need to have them with me away from my tool box at work.

If you don’t work in the trades or as a hobbyist, then a regular Leatherman tool will serve you better IMO.

Knipex are absolutely worth the money to own and a joy to use when they are needed, but they aren’t as versatile and more of a specialty tool.
Currently I work at Lowes as part of the pro services delivery team. Most of my job entails pulling large contractor orders and assigning them to flatbed trucks for delivery.

Work sees a lot of knife and box opening. Some light-medium prying. Pulling big/sometimes busted staples out of lumber. Occasionally installing product or at minimal re-tightening.

So tools I’d see myself using most are good set of pliers, knife, prybar, screw driver (Philips and flat) obviously we have a full range of tools in the back. But a carry MT to grab, verses walking all the way to the back anytime I need pliers or something.

If that background helps haha

Do yourself a favor and belt carry a regular sized Leatherman if possible, slip the little knipex in your pocket for a week and see if you even use them.
Oh I’m definitely interested in having the 4” or 5” Cobra. But definitely answers the Leatherman free T4 + Knipex or good Leatherman.

Thinking either rebar or wave+.

From the sound of your intended usage, I think the wave or rebar is what the doctor ordered. If you do much assembly or installation at work you will find the knipex very valuable also. You sound like a perfect candidate for a regular Leatherman tool to me. Enjoy 😉

From the sound of your intended usage, I think the wave or rebar is what the doctor ordered. If you do much assembly or installation at work you will find the knipex very valuable also. You sound like a perfect candidate for a regular Leatherman tool to me. Enjoy 😉
Yup. Probably gonna go get a wave plus tomorrow lol.

If you carry a folding knife I would recommend the Rebar over the Wave but if you need the OHO knives on the Wave then that is the way to go. I have both and they both are great tools. I like the Rebar more for its Phillips driver and awl but the Wave is more versatile, either way I think you will be happy between the two of them.

If you carry a folding knife I would recommend the Rebar over the Wave but if you need the OHO knives on the Wave then that is the way to go. I have both and they both are great tools. I like the Rebar more for its Phillips driver and awl but the Wave is more versatile, either way I think you will be happy between the two of them.
See I thought rebar at first. But like the changeable bits on the wave plus. Mostly a flat/Philips and a T8/T6 Torx.

I do carry a folding knife too

Back