Looking to add a multi tool to EDC

Alternative suggestion: leatherman bond with pocket clip. Very slick and lightweight multitool that is as easy to carry as pocket knife. Little bit clunky to use and lacks some tools but worth checking out.

Such as? It's hard to recommend a multitool without knowing what your regular use cases are.
Currently I work at Lowes as part of the pro services delivery team. Most of my job entails pulling large contractor orders and assigning them to flatbed trucks for delivery.

Work sees a lot of knife and box opening. Some light-medium prying. Pulling big/sometimes busted staples out of lumber. Occasionally installing product or at minimal re-tightening.

So tools I’d see myself using most are good set of pliers, knife, prybar, screw driver (Philips and flat) obviously we have a full range of tools in the back. But a carry MT to grab, verses walking all the way to the back anytime I need pliers or something.

If that background helps haha

Based on this it looks like you need an ordinary inexpensive box cutter and an EDC prybar. Opening packages is horrible on a knife. This is what box cutters are made for. The blades are cheap and can be easily replaced as often as needed.

If all you need is a set of pliers and a bit driver, then something like the Leatherman Skeletool may serve you well enough. It has pliers and a bit driver with an outside opening combo edge knife. I've never been a fan of the flat proprietary Leatherman bits though. They're too soft and they've been often hard to source in the last few years due to supply chain problems.

If I were to create the ideal multitool for you based on your criteria, then it would have a quarter inch bit driver, pliers, a replaceable blade (perhaps a scalpel holder) and a heavy duty flat screwdriver for prying. It would look very similar to the Havalon Evolve, which is itself a kind of clone of the Skeletool.

There's no perfect multitool for you but that's probably not what you want to hear. I would carry a box cutter, a prybar, and any multitool with a set of pliers and a bit driver.

Based on this it looks like you need an ordinary inexpensive box cutter and an EDC prybar. Opening packages is horrible on a knife. This is what box cutters are made for. The blades are cheap and can be easily replaced as often as needed.

If all you need is a set of pliers and a bit driver, then something like the Leatherman Skeletool may serve you well enough. It has pliers and a bit driver with an outside opening combo edge knife. I've never been a fan of the flat proprietary Leatherman bits though. They're too soft and they've been often hard to source in the last few years due to supply chain problems.

If I were to create the ideal multitool for you based on your criteria, then it would have a quarter inch bit driver, pliers, a replaceable blade (perhaps a scalpel holder) and a heavy duty flat screwdriver for prying. It would look very similar to the Havalon Evolve, which is itself a kind of clone of the Skeletool.

There's no perfect multitool for you but that's probably not what you want to hear. I would carry a box cutter, a prybar, and any multitool with a set of pliers and a bit driver.
In steps a Leatherman. Carry one item on a belt sheath not 4 different tools. Leatherman wave+ has a decent size flathead screw driver that can easily be modified to use as a pry tool. Especially since it has a bit driver. And it’s blade is sturdy enough to pry small things as well.

And cutting tape and cardboard is not bad for your blade. One could say cutting is what a knife is for. Imagine that. The only time it’s bad is when the owner doesn’t know how to properly sharpen, clean, and maintain a blade. It’s really not that hard. And no, box cutters are for those too stupid or lazy to actually sharpen a knife. I’ve broken down my share of boxes working receiving with my Kershaw. Never thought “damn. I should get a paper thin blade that can only do one thing”

And you say any multi tool with pliers and a bit driver? Well I’ll add what I just spoke on and a back to a Rebar or Wave. Imagine that.

Ounces are pounds, pockets fill up. Why would I carry 3 different tools verses 1? Now I get a Leatherman isn’t a one fix all. There’s a time for individual heavier tools. But my main purpose is to avoid walking across the store when I need a screwdriver. Or if I need something to pry. It’s a “I’ll save myself a trip” not replacing a toolbox.

From the sound of your intended usage, I think the wave or rebar is what the doctor ordered. If you do much assembly or installation at work you will find the knipex very valuable also. You sound like a perfect candidate for a regular Leatherman tool to me. Enjoy 😉
I’ve kinda eyeballed the SOG PowerPint. But reviews seem too divided. Either you love it or hate it.

I like the gerber centredrive. It has a bigger blade, one handed pliers and the bit driver takes normal bits.
That's the multi-tool that rides in the door of the camper van. Knipex is always on my belt and an SAK compact in pocket.

There's no better tool for plucking ear hairs. No idea how old it is but it's the military issue from OIF. It's given me 7 stitches before. Cutting a wire harness at a junk yard. Painted it orange years back...because why not?

Gerber

img hosting

There's no better tool for plucking ear hairs. No idea how old it is but it's the military issue from OIF. It's given me 7 stitches before. Cutting a wire harness at a junk yard. Painted it orange years back...because why not?

Gerber

img hosting
Used to have one myself. Won it from a army kid in Africa in a poker game. Never cared for the slide open

Currently I work at Lowes as part of the pro services delivery team. Most of my job entails pulling large contractor orders and assigning them to flatbed trucks for delivery.

Work sees a lot of knife and box opening. Some light-medium prying. Pulling big/sometimes busted staples out of lumber. Occasionally installing product or at minimal re-tightening.

So tools I’d see myself using most are good set of pliers, knife, prybar, screw driver (Philips and flat) obviously we have a full range of tools in the back. But a carry MT to grab, verses walking all the way to the back anytime I need pliers or something.

If that background helps haha

Based on your needs, I'd probably recommend a combination of Spirit MX and a box cutter (if it is not already supplied by the company).

When it comes to taking boxes apart, nothing will be as efficient as a real box cutter and nothing will match it's low maintenance and cost effectiveness.

Personally, after collecting and using more than few dozen multitools(LM, Vic, Gerber, SOG, etc), Spirit MX is definitely my all time favorite. Relatively lightweight with Swiss precision made tool sets, I wouldn't hesitate to call it best in class MT there is.

Used to have one myself. Won it from a army kid in Africa in a poker game. Never cared for the slide open

It's definitely been used. The wire cutter triangle has never been rotated. Still going strong. Both blades are still sharp.

What impressed me, I tried to security engrave it. Using one of the vibrating tool scribes. Whatever steel they use. It's remarkably tough. Almost tore up my engraver and it still didn't mark worth anything.

It's definitely been used. The wire cutter triangle has never been rotated. Still going strong. Both blades are still sharp.

What impressed me, I tried to security engrave it. Using one of the vibrating tool scribes. Whatever steel they use. It's remarkably tough. Almost tore up my engraver and it still didn't mark worth anything.
Oh it’s a tank. I liked it. But much prefer the flip opening of a Leatherman

Well. Went to academy to get a wave plus. And realized for what they price them, I can “customize/personalize” one on leathermans site. So why not?!

Ended up stopping by a pawnshop just for shits and giggles to see what they may have. (As I’m leaning to a Wave plus. But still looking at others)

Found these two. $50 even out the door.
jq4QUgo.jpg

Nice find. I wonder what the pawn shop paid for them. It must have been robbery.
Right? Bond is about $60 new. Rev is $40-50 new. Nothing super fancy. But solid $50 score for sure.

Plus it’s two decent offerings. I can spend time with both and see what I like/don’t like or what I use/don’t use.

Right? Bond is about $60 new. Rev is $40-50 new. Nothing super fancy. But solid $50 score for sure.

Plus it’s two decent offerings. I can spend time with both and see what I like/don’t like or what I use/don’t use.
And you can always use an extra! Nice find.

And you can always use an extra! Nice find.
Right! I’ve had a Leatherman Free T4 the little magnet one hand hope until knife one. It kinda gets tossed around and used occasionally. I pulled it out when I got home. And man the Rev offers more and is just a hair bigger. And that’s even with the pliers.

But anyway. Both new ones are pretty much that. New. Spent the last few hours cleaning them well (pawnshop finds. Gross.) never know who or what they did haha. Noticed how stiff they both are. I was worried it was caked up with grime. I think it’s just new.

But the bond. Man. I love that one already haha. Simple, practical. No extra bells and whistles. But just enough that I think covers my wants. Only one complaint I COULD cry about. Is spring pliers would be nice. But again. Not really what they were going for on this

Was honestly expecting to favor the Rev over the Bond. While I’m excited about both. I predict the Bond will be my favorite

Back