Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Something a little different. Z-wear at Rc65. 0.090" with full distal taper. 0.003" behind the edge. 1200g diamond stone edge at 10dps. Edge has a little bit of a toothy feel compared to W2/1095/Hitachi White, but it's plenty sharp. The edge holding and stability is incredible. This steel is basically 3v with a bit more carbon and 1% tungsten to perform better than 3v at higher hardness. Think 3v optimized for Rc62-65.

32011280343_3d0cee55f1_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_0809 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr[/IMG]

Wow, that is really neat. What is the total edge length there? I imagine that blades pretty flexible, is this for filet type use or strictly testing?

Wow, that is really neat. What is the total edge length there? I imagine that blades pretty flexible, is this for filet type use or strictly testing?

It's about 8" blade length. I get these drops when I cut the belly and handle out on 2" stock. I make paring and coring knives from smaller drops. The handle area was the belly of a skinner. At 0.090" it's not fillet knife flexy, but I can easily bend it to 60deg in a vice. It's great cutting up things like chicken thighs and bacon.

I'm testing different heat treat regimes on this steel. There is a thread in shop talk on that. I'm seeing if a cryo plus low temper will work for this steel, like it does on 3v.

I though I would try my hand at a few kitchen knives.

Both are made of D2 steel, 3/32" at the spine. Hardened to 58-60 Rockwell hardness.
Handles are 4" long and the blades are 3" and 5 1/2" long. They are made from cocobolo wood with brass liners and pins.

Finished this one recently.
11 3/4 overall
6.500 inch blade
2.5 tall at the heel
Right hand chisel grind
.087 thick AEB-L Stainless steel 63 RCH

An Takeda inspired Honesuki built entirely to customer spec. This one also has an older sibling, a 250mm gyuto almost finished as well.
Blade is W2 with about .010 behind edge and then convexed lightly, this produces a strong edge but still bites into soft produce with ease, it is made to withstand the occasional chicken bone along with the knuckles/cartilage etc.
The handle is my dove-wa construction with african blackwood (john doyle) and honduran rosewood burl (burlsource). The customer asked for a Hexagonal shape instead of Octagon so I shaped it sort of like a D handle but on both sides. I also included an inlay of an ammonite to suit the customers interest in geology/fossils.
X0ddHzK.jpg

7UcJK9o.jpg

Finished both of these up this week. The western style chef is the one that sent me to the ER. Both are 52100 and about 9" blades.
The western has hybrid buckeye burl scales, white g10 liners, brass corby bolts, and one mosaic pin. It was built to customer's specs and, amazingly, headed to Japan.

The k tip has jeweled abalone bolsters, triple dyed wood scales, purple/pink/purple g10 liners, and brass 1/4" corby bolts.
7ff3445a8f7846a3657d75c7cf9e80b2.jpg
7accd26737cf4ed8c20ed9bbeb56b403.jpg
114eca6b9390a1fdeac3254dfab68c54.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi Josh, Both are beautiful knives! sorry to hear one of them got ya, hope you are ok

Hi Josh, Both are beautiful knives! sorry to hear one of them got ya, hope you are ok
Thank you! Ya I'm good to go. Missed all the tendons and stitches came out yesterday. Just a quick wake up call.

I forgot we had a kitchen forum:confused:
This is a gyuto I made. My first wa handle. I sent it to one of the members here on bladeforums to run it through the gauntlet.
62 AEB-L
Handle is dyed Cascarra Buckthorne from Mark Farley @burlsource

free image hostingfree image hostingfree image hostingfree image hosting

Here's another chef knife in progress right now. Had to order the custom mosaic pin from Russia
62 AEB-L again
Walnut handle from Ben Greenberg @greenbergwoods

free image hostingfree image hosting
This is like 6 or 7 coats of danish oil, a couple coats of boiled linseed oil and I'll wax and hand buff tomorrow
upload gifs

Last edited:
Finished both of these up this week. The western style chef is the one that sent me to the ER. Both are 52100 and about 9" blades.
The western has hybrid buckeye burl scales, white g10 liners, brass corby bolts, and one mosaic pin. It was built to customer's specs and, amazingly, headed to Japan.

The k tip has jeweled abalone bolsters, triple dyed wood scales, purple/pink/purple g10 liners, and brass 1/4" corby bolts.
7ff3445a8f7846a3657d75c7cf9e80b2.jpg
7accd26737cf4ed8c20ed9bbeb56b403.jpg
114eca6b9390a1fdeac3254dfab68c54.jpg

Josh, that's some Sweet work on those Culinary knives👍👍👍 I love AEB-L for most of my Culinary knives! Some of the big ones of mine, I still use 440C with an RC of 60. Also don't get in a first name basis with the ER Doctors!😁

Josh, that's some Sweet work on those Culinary knives👍👍👍 I love AEB-L for most of my Culinary knives! Some of the big ones of mine, I still use 440C with an RC of 60. Also don't get in a first name basis with the ER Doctors!😁
Thank you! I may be looking for another stainless option if I can't get 0.070" anymore. I'm hoping to stay out of the ER for a bit. I'm still hearing about this one from the wife.

I've been there three times over the years for my knife making injuries Lol.. Early in knife making, when the pin holes on a blade I had already sharpened and the Cryo treat had shrunk the holes I had to open them up just a tad and the drill press turned into the helicopter of death an opened my left index finger to the bone, the ER doc said, well Mr Segal, you must make very sharp knives. This is a very clean incision🙄 Don't try to get on a mileage card there!😉 Check with Aldo, The New Jersey Steel Baron for AEB-L for that size and 440C properly HTed with its big Carbides can still hold its own!

I got a surprisingly cool patina out of mustard the other day
2NoVuOA.jpg
iXpuo2N.jpg

Back