Mater Kitchen Knife - Passaround !!!

Hi all,

First, I would like to apologize for the fact that I just didn't have the time to do the review this knife deserves. With an emergency business trip and a very stressful week, I am lucky to have managed what I did.

My impressions:

1. This knife is COMFORTABLE in the hand. the ergonomics seem perfect. The cutting edge is low enough to allow for aggressive chopping, and the handle fits perfectly in the hand.
2. The edge is very nice. I like the left hand and right hand options on the knife, and really could go either way. I loved the profile and thought the slight belly on it was perfect for rocking, chopping and cutting. I used the knife to cut some very stout sourdough bread at home and was amazed at the ability of this knife to laser through. A real test for any knife, at least for me, is salami. I LOVE salami but it's a pain in the backside to cut. I was able to get 1/16th cuts with the mater NO Problem. That's a keen edge and a thin blade for ya!
3. The design seems so well suited for kitchen work. The tip was great for doing fine slices in squash, eggplant, and other items and the blade length was more than adequate for handling any size fruit as well as a inside round we carved up. I really loved the balance as well. I barely felt it in my hand but it was more than sturdy enough to do just about anything.

I managed to get a couple pics of the mater in action. I actually gave the knife to three different chefs and each was VERY impressed with it. I believe the knife really excelled at veg and fruit prep.

4-27-2008001.jpg

4-27-2008002.jpg

4-27-2008003.jpg

4-27-2008004.jpg

My favorite pic is of a tomato that Wadonna sliced with the mater. If there was type on that stainless table, you'd be able to read it!
4-27-2008005.jpg

Overall, this is a great kitchen knife. The edge, thinness of the blade and handle ergo makes it quite a few steps above the average knife. QUITE A FEW...perhaps a thousand. I've used a LOT of knives in my life and this was damn near perfect.

Nice job Dan!

Brett

(my only problem now is that I have 15 cooks that want one! Christmas is coming I guess....:eek::eek::eek:)

Good deal! I always worry about shipping stuff.

Thanks for the heads up snow.

Brett

I have yet to use the knives, but my Dad used them last night for dinner prep and said he was afraid of the edge! Haha.

Wow, where to begin? I am very impressed with these knives. The key features to me are the very thin grinds, RIDICULOUS sharp edge, and comfortable handles. Both parents, my girlfriend and I were all very impressed. That is a wide variety of hand sizes and we all felt they were very comfortable to use. Even when used for tasks a smaller knife would normally be utilized for, they were easily handled. The edge is absolutely prodigious. Hands down the sharpest knives I've ever used. I was very, very cautious.

Unfortunately, I had a busy week and didn't get to do as much with them as I would have liked. Last night, I wanted to give them a final use, so the girlfriend and I had some fun slicing up some fruit for a smoothie.

Me acting tough
P1010909.jpg

I'm really a nice guy
P1010910.jpg

The beautiful gf
P1010913.jpg

P1010912.jpg

I had a lot of fun slicing stuff thinner than I thought possible!
P1010914.jpg

P1010915.jpg

Yep, I'm good. (Actually, it's mostly the knife)
P1010917.jpg

The fruit of my labor (I know, I know)
P1010918.jpg

P1010919.jpg

My girlfriend's mom does a LOT of cooking and is really into kitchen gadgets and whatnot, and my mom actually said she wanted the Mater after using it, so it has been decided what each is getting for Christmas this year. If I hadn't bought so many flashlights and knives lately, they'd be Mother's day gifts. :eek:

Verdict: Absolutely superb slicers and a lot of fun to use.

Thanks Snow. Great pics and review!:thumbup:

Alright, Gerberblades is up next. See you soon folks.;)

We are getting well out of sync here. I know Gerberblades had received the blades and was told they were going out to WAMartin. Let's keep this passaround on track please. Let me know if you are behind schedule or are just running a little long. We really would like to see your experiences shared as well.
Thanks, Mike

Thanks for staying on top of this, Mike. :thumbup:

and YES....I will have some Maters to look at on my table at the Blade Show next weekend. :thumbup:

I checked the mail last night and they were'nt here yet. I start graves tonight but I'll definitely stop at the PO on the way home to check.

Hopefully that will give me some time to play.

Of course, SWMBO is gonna be ticked that I uploaded these pics before honeymoon stuff but my word is my word right!

;)

Just got home from the Post Office and the Maters were indeed there.

Opened them up. Right now they seem dull but will wait for food to get here to confirm that (I need my fingers for work ;) ). The handles also seem thin at first grasp but I will reserve judgement on that too until I get to actually use them for something.

Now to get some sleep so I can return to work in 7 hrs, 11 min, blah blah blah

Wow -

So far I really like these knives. I've been using the left-handed one but SHMBO and her son have both tried the right-handed version. He keeps saying, "You really don't get to keep these?!?" ;)

SHMBO commented specifically that she liked how thinly she could slice potatoes. Her son was cutting paper thin slices of cucumber also.

I took some pictures and will try to post a better review later.

Mymindisamob - I need your info so I can get these out Thursday afternoon/Friday morning.

Knives went out this afternoon, priority, insured.

Give my brain a little bit to gel after being on graveyards and now tryin to get on normal time to do the review. Took some pictures but fighting my camera to upload them also.

Got them yesterday! I'll spend a few days with them, then post. Hopefully right after this weekend.

Let me start off by saying that our kitchen knife set is a 16 year old block set of cheapo Chicago Cutlery from my second marriage (if I didn't like Dan's and Busses designs so much, I'd still be buying Cold Steel for my outdoors blades too.;)). So, we are not very particular about knives with food, unless outdoors.;)

These blades are very nice in fit and finish, and they came with the slight patina and edge wear of a kitchen knife that is starting to see it's prime. A little scotchbrite and a few strokes on a ceramic rod made them just right for us. We used them to prepare our kabob fixin's. No super thin slicing to speak of for these, although we did do some thin onions for future use. They slice and dice very well, but food sticks to the blade more readily than on our cheapos. Overall they are very desirable and it was very easy to switch from the right hand model to the left. My wife (who is the one in the pics doing all the work) says she would definitely like a righty for the kitchen.
P1010033.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

Thanks Dan, for this opportunity.:thumbup:
jgkelly is next, but is out of town until this weekend. I will get these out so they should reach him by the beginning of next week.

Back