Mod, supermod changes and more.

FWIW...I spent 12 years managing community for CompuServe, Netscape and AOL and moderators here do a terrific job.

Surprised and flattered to see my name come up here. I'd be happy to help the forum any way I can.
Lots of the level headed regulars here would make great mods. Ankerson and The Deacon come to mind, along with the others already mentioned. (DB not so much...)

As for super mods, I can't think of any current and active moderator who wouldn't be a good choice. The question may just be who amongst them is willing to take on such a responsibility.

That said, I've went ahead and preemptively declined consideration. Just not something I wanna do right now and the others I listed would no doubt be better choices all around. I am digging the compliments though, so feel free to continue on that front. :D
Pussy.

:D

Unless I'm having a brain fart, which is entirely possible, I've seen enough of the pictures DB731 posts to vote negative on that one.

Yeah, we don't want the old guys in traditional to fall out of their chairs!😄

I too think Jaxx, Codger_64, MP and Guyon would be great choices for elevation.
I also think Kiah's preemptive declining supermod appointment should be ignored; just change his colour without permission Spark :)

While there is something to be said for enthusiasm and humor I think in the current circumstances we need balance and wisdom more.

Indeed. :thumbup:

I supported Kiah's recommendation from the get-go... but if he just doesn't want to deal with being a supermod, I totally understand that. Hating one's job and feeling forced into it under stress makes for resentment, very poor performance and big problems, every single time. Especially when that "job" is an unpaid position.

I do like blue better than red. :thumbup:

I do appreciate the sentiment. The thing is that it's a little hard to be completely straightforward and try not to stir pots at the same time. I'll put it as tactfully as I know how and leave it at that. If another Super position opens up, I might be happy to fill it if wanted. Barring that, I think there are plenty of excellent candidates.

I'll put it as tactfully as I know how and leave it at that. If another Super position opens up, I might be happy to fill it if wanted. Barring that, I think there are plenty of excellent candidates.

Now you're sounding just like a wannabe politician who really wants the job, but doesn't have the guts to ask for it outright. I withdraw my support. :rolleyes:

Now you're sounding just like a wannabe politician who really wants the job, but doesn't have the guts to ask for it outright. I withdraw my support. :rolleyes:

I understand your decision, but all donations are non-refundable.

:cool:

This is why I suggested we cut Kiah out of the decision making entirely :D give him a ban hammer and smack him with a cattle prod until he pulls us all into line :)
I am joking of course. I agree that it's a huge ask on anyone and probably comes with more expectation than is fair.

One minor suggestion while we are on the topic of super Mod. maybe a specific color for a Super mod's user name so we know who the super mods are. The Mods are in red, but not all of them but supersare all over the color spectrum.

This color would be like having color brass, we would all be able to see who has rank!!!

**Edited to add:
I also just read Treeshakers remarks about Mods spending alot of time in the cove and W&C and then moderating other area of the forum. This is how (in my opinion) Mods can expose themselves to "trouble", at least it appears that some of the mod controversies start because of W&C comments. Treeshaker has a valid point and all new mods should weigh their time spent in the Cove with how they will be perceived throughout the rest of BFC.
**If all the above makes sense***

Last edited:
RE: the mods spending time in w&c

You really cant expect someone to just be a mod. They are here and are a mod because they like being here. So much so that they take on responsibilities to help make the forums a better place. They should not be hassled for enjoying whatever part of the forums they enjoy. No different than if their group of friends were in the beckerheads or balisong forum.

I just dont understand why the w&c forums are held to a different standard.

It's hard to believe no one has mentioned Tuvold Snurlson as a moderator candidate. And just for the record, he hangs in W&C all the time.

It's hard to believe no one has mentioned Tuvold Snurlson as a moderator candidate. And just for the record, he hangs in W&C all the time.

I think that's a fantastic idea! Talk about impartial, I have never once seen him post anything even remotely insulting, demeaning, negative or biased.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be a hoot if old Tuvold logged in and he suddenly had the keys to the car? :D

One minor suggestion while we are on the topic of super Mod. maybe a specific color for a Super mod's user name so we know who the super mods are. The Mods are in red, but not all of them but supersare all over the color spectrum.

SuperMods' names are all in blue italics. A complete list of Moderators and Supers can be viewed here. Scroll all the way to the bottom, past the Bounced Email and Pirate groups, to see the Supermoderator names together.

As for the other, note well that the members Spark himself has put forth as worthy candidates, as well as most of those already agreed to be serving well as SuperMods, have a preponderance of posts in the "restricted" forums.

~ P.

This color would be like having color brass, we would all be able to see who has rank!!!

**Edited to add:
I also just read Treeshakers remarks about Mods spending alot of time in the cove and W&C and then moderating other area of the forum. This is how (in my opinion) Mods can expose themselves to "trouble", at least it appears that some of the mod controversies start because of W&C comments. Treeshaker has a valid point and all new mods should weigh their time spent in the Cove with how they will be perceived throughout the rest of BFC.
**If all the above makes sense***

Personally, I wouldn't want to see them restricted from W&C, and the other area. Those areas are very small, and there are many other subforums to indulge in.

Speaking for myself, having been here for a decent amount of time, and spending countless hours here, there is only so much you can talk about that is knife related.

The Mods we have, are quite capable of being in those two areas, and not getting themselves into trouble. The problem begins when one Mod thinks it is his in powers to come into those areas, and start causing trouble, making it a personal quest to stir up trouble, and not knowing when to let it go...

YMMV of course

In regards to where Mods/new Mods post or frequent.

It shouldn't matter how often they frequent certain sub sections of the forum.
Also, iTrader may indicate who would be a good person to deal with but it has no bearing on Moderation or even their judgment. There's been a few threads recently where members with very high ratings had foul ups/brainfarts on the Exchange.

What does matter is how the conduct themselves in the places they frequent and how they deal with the members they interact with.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see them restricted from W&C, and the other area. Those areas are very small, and there are many other subforums to indulge in.

Speaking for myself, having been here for a decent amount of time, and spending countless hours here, there is only so much you can talk about that is knife related.

The Mods we have, are quite capable of being in those two areas, and not getting themselves into trouble. The problem begins when one Mod thinks it is his in powers to come into those areas, and start causing trouble, making it a personal quest to stir up trouble, and not knowing when to let it go...

YMMV of course

In regards to where Mods/new Mods post or frequent.

It shouldn't matter how often they frequent certain sub sections of the forum.
Also, iTrader may indicate who would be a good person to deal with but it has no bearing on Moderation or even their judgment. There's been a few threads recently where members with very high ratings had foul ups/brainfarts on the Exchange.

What does matter is how the conduct themselves in the places they frequent and how they deal with the members they interact with.

I could not agree more. We do have to look around and be "everywhere" at all times so to speak.

Spark is the Landru of Bladeforums. He sees all and knows all through his Moderators!!!:D
[video=youtube;nZMuBIJxmnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMuBIJxmnA[/video]​

Back