Mug Shots

feday, just use the timer on your camera. gorillapods let you stick it to anything, and failing that you can always use duct tape. just try not to cover the lens entirely.

you are correct... We owned these for quite a while and they are as tame as a cow (our cows are extremely tame).

As I said, these buffs will eat cattle feed out of your hand (through a fence of course). Still, they are unpredictable animals and should never be trusted. They can move very fast, and are much smarter than the cows, although, I'm not sure that really makes them smart just smarter than a really dumb animal. ;) You wouldn't want to approach them with a feed sack in hand, they may trample you.

I've spent my fair share of time around cattle. Grew up on a farm with 150 of the **** things. Nothing worse than getting knocked face down in calf-deep mud by over-enthusiastic steers when carrying buckets of feed to the bunks. I can imagine what a buffalo would do. A bunch of angry, hormone-crazed bulls is bad enough.

Looks like I'm definitely living up to the "Old" in my forum name.

Y'all look ... like kids to me! Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Don't be too hasty OldPhysics. I don't have any good pictures of myself (since I usually take the pictures) but I did lift a couple from some videos. Please excuse the quality and lack of pretty ladies.

coupleofmachaxpictures.jpg

Pictures of the machax included for mneedham.

blowingacoalintoflame.jpg

Coldwood?

And a bigger, though less flattering picture here.

Feeling better, OldPhysics?

Doc

Well that makes us neighbors Doc.You ever spend much time on the Bruce that runs through Hamilton?I frequent the Iroquia heights area,but not usually on the trail.I will be out there this aft lookin for sheds.

Well that makes us neighbors Doc.You ever spend much time on the Bruce that runs through Hamilton?I frequent the Iroquia heights area,but not usually on the trail.I will be out there this aft lookin for sheds.

I used to belong to the Bruce Trail club, but these days spend most of my time (when I'm not working :() in Red Hill Valley (what's left of it :mad:) harvesting materials, and just generally playing in the woods.

What do you do with the sheds? I use a couple tines as a bodkin for basket making, as a tool for opening up braid when back splicing, and as a 4-sided awl for making lacing holes in Birch bark. Also, some times I use a 'fork' for the top bearing for bow drill, but usually I use a piece of Moose antler.

BTW, HJ, are you a turkey or goose hunter? And if so, what do you do with the wings? If nothing, I'm always on the look out for more fletching material. Maybe we can do a little bartering.

Doc

Doc,I'm hopin to get a turkey and if I do you are welcome to the feathers,I usually give the sheds away so if I find some more I can share some with you as well.
I have to explore the Red Hill Valley some day.
I will keep you posted.

Originally Posted by OldPhysics View Post
Looks like I'm definitely living up to the "Old" in my forum name.

Y'all look ... like kids to me! Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Don't be too hasty OldPhysics. I don't have any good pictures of myself (since I usually take the pictures) but I did lift a couple from some videos.

Feeling better, OldPhysics?

Doc

Okay, just who really is the oldest member of WSS. I've previously admitted to 63, and posted photos shamelessly. I've got an unused wooden handled mora that I'm willing to award to the oldest member who actually posts a pic along with his/her age. What say yee outdoorsmen? Honor system of course. :D:D

P.S. Let's let the contest run for one week to 6PM next Sunday, MDT.

Hey Doc,I found a small matched pair this afternoon.I will save them for you just let me know if you are interested.

Hey Doc-Canada - Are you sure you aren't using part of your beard as tinder in that pic :) :)

More Canucks posting...

KGD - this is your life (well I just scanned in a bunch of shots today and thought I throw some up). At 38 years of age, in my day it wasn't so fashionable to raise children on breast milk. So like many Canadians my age I was bottle fed:

image0-5.jpg

At age of 5 I found a passion for pistols and wide brimmed hats, but still wasn't weaned from the bottle yet. I did however, graduate from Canadian Lager to Labatt's Blue. (I'm the shorter one)

image0-4.jpg

I still like wide brimmed hats.

image0-29.jpg

My first winter overnight winter camping trip when I was 17. I'm the goof in the blue hat.

image0-48.jpg

Really, they just took me along because I would cut up all the firewood.

image0.jpg

In the eighties you could get away with wearing red pants.

image0-14.jpg

I'm not in this shot - but these guys were my outdoor's mentors...

image0-49.jpg

Self portrait - solo camping in Riding Mountain, Manitoba (1997)

image0-41.jpg

Another youngish skinnier self - 1998:

image0-2.jpg

Present day - sliding towards elder status

DSC_0076.jpg

Hey Doc,I found a small matched pair this afternoon.I will save them for you just let me know if you are interested.

Absolutely. Thank you. Maybe in a couple of weeks (injured knee healing although I got out for a bit of a hike today) we can get together and do a hike. Any primitive skills you want to work on?

kgd: Hey Doc-Canada - Are you sure you aren't using part of your beard as tinder in that pic
That a problem for you? Important survival technique, use whatever gets the job done. :)

HighDesertWalker: Okay, just who really is the oldest member of WSS. I've previously admitted to 63, and posted photos shamelessly. I've got an unused wooden handled mora that I'm willing to award to the oldest member who actually posts a pic along with his/her age. What say yee outdoorsmen? Honor system of course.
Leaves me out. I turn 62 on Earth Day (April 22). Ain't that cool? EARTH DAY IS MY BIRTH DAY!

BTW, just plain Doc works - I had to use DOC-CANADA when I registered because I think somebody else had the name and DOC-CANADA was something I used on BushcraftUK.

Doc

HighDesertWalker: Okay, just who really is the oldest member of WSS. I've previously admitted to 63, and posted photos shamelessly. I've got an unused wooden handled mora that I'm willing to award to the oldest member who actually posts a pic along with his/her age. What say yee outdoorsmen? Honor system of course.

Leaves me out. I turn 62 on Earth Day (April 22). Ain't that cool? EARTH DAY IS MY BIRTH DAY!

BTW, just plain Doc works - I had to use DOC-CANADA when I registered because I think somebody else had the name and DOC-CANADA was something I used on BushcraftUK.

Doc

Ya know, it never occurred to me that I might actually be the oldest member. I have never thought of myself as old. That comes sometime in the 80s, right. Hell, that's like 20 yrs from now. :p

Back