Multi tool trivia questions ?

Nowhere said:
Gerber Multi-Plier 600 DET, is one of the tools

Gerber Multi-Plier 600 DET, is one of the tools and the gerber evolution 650 - military version has a head adapted to this use ( now available on some civilan markets )

JOOLIESEWS said:
The third maker is SOG, with their PowerLock EOD version.

Ding , ding , ding , ding , that now closes this question to my knowledge
unless any of the other esteemed brethern here want to find some that I do not have knowledge of .

Bob that makes three days , three questions in a row that you have come in for at least part of the answer . I will attempt to concoct a question in the near future that only the most fanatical of multi tool collectors will know .
Are there more of you out there that would fit this description ?

I will tell you something about me here , my name is Doug . I have been collecting multi tools since Leatherman came out with the original PST . ( I lost my first production run issue one in a fire some years ago ) Since then I have accumulated ( hoarded , treasured ) over 600 multi purpose knives focusing primarily on what we call multi tools . My collection has most Leathermans, SOG's , Gerbers , Schrade , Buck , Kutmaster , a large number of SAKs , Al Mars , Spyderco , Bearjaws , some diving knives , survival knives , some very obscure multi tools of foriegn and domestic manufacture including some chinese product . I will not claim that all of these are made to the quality and standards of the name makes but I have come to enjoy some of these for thier diversity of design . Any questions that I will pose here will be of product that I have obtained from reasonably obtainable sources . Knife shops around the country and on line , ebay I have found to be a good source . All questions on this thread will be of product made since the advent of Leatherman . I will enjoy being corrected when I am wrong for this is a subject that I enjoy and study with great fervor . I hope that we will all learn from this . Now I have run off out the mouth sufficently .

That last one was a little bit of a toughie perhaps , let me reach into my collection here and find something unique but a little more common .

There are three to my knowledge multi tool makers involved in the manufacture of multi tools that include adjustable locking vice grip type pliers . Name any of the three , model ( are there more than one version ?) Bonus to the one who tells which one came out first .

Thanks for the compliment Doug. It sounds like if they ever come up with a multitool "JEOPARDY" show, you'd make a great replacement for Alex Trebek.

(I'll take scissors-based multitools for a thousand, Alex)

I believe Schrade WAS one of those. It was in the Tough Tool line, I think. They were blowing them out at WalMart awhile ago. It was a BAD sign of things to come, I guess. :(

As an aside, the Bearjaws design was the main reason Swiss Army Brands bought the company form Bear MGC (the intials of the 3 owners). The company has recently been bought back by the Gman :D in the MGC (Ken Griffey, no....not that one :D ) and his son. I beleve they have renamed it Bear and Son.
Wonder if the multitools will be the same?

Bill

El Lobo said:
I believe Schrade WAS one of those. It was in the Tough Tool line, I think. They were blowing them out at WalMart awhile ago. It was a BAD sign of things to come, I guess. :(

You are correct , Scrade WAS one of these . There were three versions of this tool a regular jaw vice grip , needle nose jaw vice grip and an enlarged pipe jaw vice grip .

As an aside, the Bearjaws design was the main reason Swiss Army Brands bought the company form Bear MGC (the intials of the 3 owners). The company has recently been bought back by the Gman :D in the MGC (Ken Griffey, no....not that one :D ) and his son. I beleve they have renamed it Bear and Son.

Thanks for the aside Bill , the current online catalog for Bear Cutlery still says that it is a division of Swiss Army Brands . I had known that Bearjaws was aggressive in defending thier design patent and had always supposed that is why Swiss Army bought them . I was not aware that they had been sold again , thanks for the update .

Wonder if the multitools will be the same?

The current catalog does not seem to be as prolific as it used to be , time will tell .

Two more makers to go and one of these is easy . One of the more talked about makers on the board .

Hi Doug,

I suppose that the second in this category is the Leatherman Crunch?

Your collection of multi tools sounds awesome. I thought I was bad with about 350 SAK's.

Can anyone come up with a list of the various models of the Bucktools and their main features? I know of four variations, but wonder if there are more?

Best - Joe :)

JoeBW said:
Hi Doug,

I suppose that the second in this category is the Leatherman Crunch?

Two down , one to go . Good going Joe , in the future I will let a question stand for 3 days . If no one ventures an answer or guess in that time I will provide the answer as I know it and let any debate begin after that . Clock is ticking fellas , anyone coming up with the third .

Your collection of multi tools sounds awesome. I thought I was bad with about 350 SAK's.

To this I say , if you do not tell my wife , I will not tell yours .

Can anyone come up with a list of the various models of the Bucktools and their main features? I know of four variations, but wonder if there are more?

I pulled out all my Bucktools lets see what I have .

Two Minibuck Tools model 350 ( Stainless and black anodized finish ) otherwise identical in all features except I percieve a difference in the construction of thier tweezers ( finer point , maybe to be addressed another time )

Features ;

Pliers with no wire cutter
clip point knife blade
fingernail tool
eyeglass screwdriver
scissors
tweezers
awl
lanyard ring

none of the tools lock

I have 5 Bucktools model 360 which is thier original , variations here are

The original stainless finish

stainless with belt clip

black anodized finish

camo paint finish

The above four have all the same tools - features , which are as follows ;

pliers with wire cutter
partially serrated clip point blade
3 flat point screwdrivers blades graduated sizes
sheeps foot serrated blade
bottle - can opener blade
2 philips screwdiver blades different sizes ( has that weird 3 point intead of regular 4 point philips )

All tools lock

The last 360 that I have they substituted the bottle - can opener and replaced it with an awl . They also removed the partially serrated clip point blade and put in a chisel point file , coarse and fine on opposite sides . The bottom of this blade has a graduated scale of wire strippers . ( Which will lead to another later question on this thread )

The Bucktool is unique in that I believe that it was the first to offer a push button type release lock of thier tools . I will be glad to be corrected if I am wrong .

Last there is the Bucklite model 355

features ;

pliers with wire cutter
partially serrated clip point blade
3 flat point screwdriver blades
file blade ( fine and coarse )
awl
1 - 3 point philips screwdriver blade
lanyard ring attachment blade

none of the tools lock

Does that help you out Joe I hope .

Maybe you can help me here . There was a lot of promo done on another Buck multi to be called the Buck Navigator . I am not sure if any ever made it to store shelves . The bottom line is I do not have it in my collection and I would kill to get one . Can any of you tell me anything more about it ?

Hi Doug,

Thanks very much for the Bucktool info. It will help a lot as I try to expand my collection.

I bought a Bucktool 360 when they first came out as I liked the rounded outside of the handles (as opposed to the Leatherman open channel design). I've never worked the Buck very hard so have not had any breakage problems. Wish they still made them.

On the Navigator, I'm afraid I can't help. I recall the prototype hype, but don't recall seeing one. Look forward to hearing from someone who knows the story.

Thanks again - Joe :cool:

JoeBW said:
Hi Doug,

Thanks very much for the Bucktool info. It will help a lot as I try to expand my collection.:

Did that seem to cover all of them as you know it ? I would like to know if I missed any .

:[/QUOTE]I bought a Bucktool 360 when they first came out as I liked the rounded outside of the handles (as opposed to the Leatherman open channel design). I've never worked the Buck very hard so have not had any breakage problems. Wish they still made them.:[/QUOTE]

They are nice how the contured handles apply in the plier position as well when as when any of the other tools are used .

:[/QUOTE]On the Navigator, I'm afraid I can't help. I recall the prototype hype, but don't recall seeing one. Look forward to hearing from someone who knows the story ]

Thanks again - Joe :cool:[/QUOTE]

Ditto ; I would like to know more as to why this multi apparently did not happen .

Okay , it is over three days since I posted the question ;

There are three to my knowledge multi tool makers involved in the manufacture of multi tools that include adjustable locking vice grip type pliers . Name any of the three , model ( are there more than one version ?) Bonus to the one who tells which one came out first .

El Lobo answered correctly that Schrade WAS one of these . ( 3 versions )
BTW ; El Lobo I just noticed that you are another Arizona desert rat . What part of the state are you in ? I will be displaying my collection at the AKCA show in Phoenix in November . Come by and maybe we can meet .

JoeBW answered that the Leatherman crunch was another and he is right .

No one guessed/answered the third which is Kershaw with thier model :Kershaw KS A100 .

To my knowledge Kershaw was also the first to enter this category .

Do any of you wish to try another question ? I will try for a single answer one here .

Among what would be regarded as a name manufacturer of a multi tool , which is I believe the only one to offer an adjustable wrench as part of thier tool ?

JoeBW said:
Hi Doug,

Spyderco with the Spydewrench.

Joe :cool:

And Joe walks away with the prize with the right answer !

Joe , it would seem that you are another multi - nut . How are you at other than the name brand makes ?

Next question;

Which name brand manufacturer made what I believe was the only multi tool that had a full forward and reverse ratcheting action for 1/4 inch drive bits built into the main tool ?
Make and model please .

lonediver said:
Next question;

Which name brand manufacturer made what I believe was the only multi tool that had a full forward and reverse ratcheting action for 1/4 inch drive bits built into the main tool ?
Make and model please .

Nobody has ventured an answer so here it is ;

The Victorinox SportRatchet , one of thier lifestyle series . It is now discontinued but an example of it can still be seen at ( and may be still available ) at these links ;

http://www.suitcase.com/Bretts2001SwissSportRatchet.html

http://209.35.185.42/ShopSite/Victorinox_Sport_Ratchet_Life_Style_Ratchet_Tool.html

Are you all tiring of the quiz or should I present another question ?

Back