Need Facts About CutCo Knives (Please be as objective as possible)

I know a ton of people hate Cutco, or more specifically vector marketing. You can't type it into google without getting "Vector Scam" to pop up. I already understand that the way they recruit people could be considered disingenuous and manipulative. That's not the part I'm interested in. I've been in their training program, and actually enjoyed it. It seems like a legitimate sales learning experience. My dad's been a salesman all his life... really no matter how you look at the job it always basically involves emotional manipulation/ applied psychology. Vector has mostly just failed at PR, especially online... In a sense, I'm not really that unethically uncomfortable with that part of the job. My question is whether the price really is fair from an objective standpoint.

I'll start by stating what I know about the knives. I know that Cut-co says its knives are made in Olean, New York and the steel is also from America. It's 440A thermally treated steel, which is apparently a fairly common steel used in knives. 440A is a high carbon steel. I believe, but am not certain, that the steel used is from AK Steel, the largest American steel producer.
steelCOMPOSITION (wt %)
Carbon 0.60 – 0.75
Manganese 1.00 max.
Phosphorus 0.040 max.
Sulfur 0.030 max.
Silicon 1.00 max.
Chromium 16.0 – 18.0
Molybdenum 0.75 max.

What I've gathered so far on 440A steel is mixed, some attribute its bad reputation to its commonality others think its simply compositional inferior. So far, I can't really decide.
As far as the manufacturing process is concerned, it's apparently very in-depth. Modern Marvels did a segment on it ( I know that doesn't qualify it as a high quality knife).
http://www.cutco.com/products/video.jsp?play=modern-marvels
Anyone have any info on these supposed industry standards? The handles are made from a so-called "thermo-resin", which is a fancy way of saying heat treated plastic..although to their credit I do believe the polymer they use is a lot better then most standard plastics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosetting_polymer It's supposed to be resistant up to 350 degrees Farenhiet. The knives do have a full tang construction. They claim that the 3 nickel silver alloy rivets are much stronger than brass. As far as the blade is concerned, some of them have what Cut-co calls the double-d edge. The most common claim made against these is that they are really just serrated blades. As far as I can tell, they seem to me to be a legitimate variation of a serrated edge. Whether or not this is ideal for kitchen cutlery, I'm uncertain. The claim my manager makes is its to help with the general misuse of kitchen knives by the majority of people, especially with glass/ceramic non-wood cutting boards and that its better for certain tasks. As far as pricing goes, It's a little bit less expensive than Shun, Wustchof, and Henkel. Significantly less expensive when compared to the retail prices for these blades..although you can get them cheaper online. I've seen comparable Shun sets at 1,999 dollars ...generally the homemaker set goes for around 1,149 and the basic kitchen set at 900. Of course there is chicago cutlery, which offers much much cheaper sets. I don't know how comparable in quality they are though. A major selling point on the price tag is that it's payable in 1/5th monthly installments and the "Forever Guarantee". I know that Henkel etc. have comparatively limited warranties, but I don't know about their installment plans. I could go on...but I've spent too much energy on this. Of course you can find cheaper anything on Amazon etc.

Again, I'm not here to sell these knives, just to see whether or not they are worth selling at the price they are listed at. I feel like a big part of the cost might just come down to the fact that they're manufactured in the U.S., rather than China or some other low wage company... It's sort of honorable and sad in that light. They do seem to be more practical, I don't doubt that the quality isn't there...but it still could be very exaggerated.

Thanks. Not trying to start flame wars or anything and again NOT trying to sell these knives to anyone on here.

Welcome to Bladeforums.
Not trying to be rude, but, what are you asking or what do you want to know. Is there a point you are after? I'd suggest cutting to the chase, no pun intended.
You say you've been through "their" training, so what facts are you needing?

Young lad is engaging in some gorilla marketing. Neva been done befo

Always their first post too

Some of their items are worth it, and many are not. Their steak/table knives? My wife and I love them! The butcher knife we spent a ton of money on? A waste. The santoku for ~$120? I just spent $150 for a Japanese santoku made in Japan, with better balance, an Aogami Super blade with stainless cladding and far better balance, feel, and cutting ability than the clunky Cutco version made with 440A The boning knife and general purpose knife get quite a bit of use in our kitchen. The hunting knife? Not worth it considering the price.

Young lad is engaging in some gorilla marketing. Neva been done befo

Always their first post too

Nah I'm not. Just want want to know whether it's worth it / how overpriced it is. I can accept the controversial Vector stuff if the product I'm pitching is actually as good as they say it is, or at least at the same level of comparable blades. @ Loonybin That sounds like a fair analysis. Some good, some bad. All the Japanese knives I've seen look better, I'll give them that, unless you just prefer minimalist design. I just want to sort out fact from fiction. And I'm not yet finished with the training, last day is tomorrow...

Same steel as $5 gas station knives with a better heat treat, IMO not worth the price at all

Same steel as $5 gas station knives with a better heat treat, IMO not worth the price at all

But does it really all come down to what steel the knife is made out of? I mean, I've seen people say Carbon is better than stainless steel. Henkel and Wustchof are made of 420c steel, Which apparently just means they have less carbon...

Um ok? That's a quote from someone...and it's not even referring specifically to 440A steel. I want to know specific science based reasons why 440A steel is inferior say to 420c, or any other steel of that matter? Also studies would help.

They are regularly $1.00 or less at house and garage sales.

I bought a large slicer for $.75. It's OK, but does not hold an edge very long, as one would expect given the modest steel used Handle is comfortable for me but not comfortable for my wife's smaller hands..

They are regularly $1.00 or less at house and garage sales.

I bought a large slicer for $.75. It's OK, but does not hold an edge very long, as one would expect given the modest steel used Handle is comfortable for me but not comfortable for my wife's smaller hands..

I could believe that. My mom owns a CutCo knife, didn't even know she did until I accepted this interview. What would be a higher quality steel and why?

I don't know what Cutco uses.

From a user's POV, steels are judged on several factors, including: resistance to abrasion; resistance to corrosion; toughness; and strength. 440A scores well on resistance to corrosion

440C is significantly better in most respects, has been around for decades, and is used in knives priced much lower than Cutco's. It can be made harder as it has up to twice the carbon of 440A.

Using softer steel has the advantage to the maker of not wearing our dies as fast, and Cutco knifes are stamped out. And it's cheaper.

You can't use Google?

440C kitchen knife OR knives

Well, so far, Henkel's turned up and other similar companies.. So I'd agree with you that it's made. But all the 440C knives I'm looking at so far seem to be at about the same price or somewhat more expensive (as far as list price is concerned).

Cutco 440a even with a great heat treatment doesn't do it for me. The competition is especially fierce at the asking price. Not a fan of Cutco marketing or sales either. I feel like they feed off the less informed.

I'd rather have a better edge for the same cost.

440c is a superior steel, longer edge holding than 440a and more expensive to start with. Cutco has been running the same scam forever i went to one of their training seminars 30yrs ago, the knives are ok not great, they don't particularly hold an edge a long time and other than the steak knives are overpriced for what you get. Pretty simple.

440a is the worst of the 440 series. Not a great steel. Good for a cheap knife. Def not worth the 4 digits mentioned above. Get a 100$ set and the steel is probably damn near as good. Wanna spend that much? Spend on something that has a seriously good steel then. Something that will last forever and won't end up at a garage sale.

Back