Need Facts About CutCo Knives (Please be as objective as possible)

I think the best way to address the question you are asking is to find a commercial knife sharpening business in your area and ask them what knives they see the most, when servicing commercial kitchens. You will probably not hear "Cutco." Commercial kitchens use their knives hard and get them sharpened regularly. They have an incentive to buy knives that last a long time and perform well - usually looking for good steel with a basic sturdy ergonomic plastic handle. There's a place like that in Seattle and they sharpen thousands of blades per year if not per month, most of which are Forschner/Victorinox/Wegner.

Last edited:
Cutco knives are meant to be sold to the less knife educated types who happen to be related to you or a neighbor of theirs. Quite a few never sell more than the ones they have to order. There would be no reason for anyone who cooks for a living to buy a Cutco knife. No one who really knows anything about them or the way they do business will be your customer.

Cutco hasn't upgraded steel because there are people that don't know there are better steel knives available for the same price or cheaper. They get by the same way the TV shopping channels get by selling people things at a higher cost for similar quality goods because people believe them and their sales pitch. Having good quality or value doesn't enter into it.

You seem to be ok with selling inferior products at inflated prices. Some can do this and sleep at night, some can't. I'm one that couldn't. I have a friend who believes that every dollar another person has belongs to him, and he just needs to figure a way to get it. He makes a lot of money in sales and sleeps just fine and he regularly has people thank him for the lousy deal he just made them on a car. They even come back for another $@#&!%$ with smiles on their face next time they need to purchase something they haven't taken time to find the value of. :)

If you are like that don't waste it trying to sell lousy knives. Get into a product that has a bigger customer base than your parents, grandparents and a few neighbors corraled in who want to help a nice young man/woman get started. :)

If you want to learn about cooking/chefs knives try one of the foodie forums. You can learn much about cooking knives, sharpening, steel, and whatever else you want there. If you think 440A is hot stuff you need to have your eyes openened up and do some learning. 440A should have gone out with the 60's along with orange shag carpets, lime green refrigerators, and cars that couldn't brake or corner. :)

Last edited:
Cutco knives are meant to be sold to the less knife educated types who happen to be related to you or a neighbor of theirs. Quite a few never sell more than the ones they have to order. There would be no reason for anyone who cooks for a living to buy a Cutco knife. No one who really knows anything about them or the way they do business will be your customer.

Cutco hasn't upgraded steel because there are people that don't know there are better steel knives available for the same price or cheaper. They get by the same way the TV shopping channels get by selling people things at a higher cost for similar quality goods because people believe them and their sales pitch. Having good quality or value doesn't enter into it.

You seem to be ok with selling inferior products at inflated prices. Some can do this and sleep at night, some can't. I'm one that couldn't. I have a friend who believes that every dollar another person has belongs to him, and he just needs to figure a way to get it. He makes a lot of money in sales and sleeps just fine and he regularly has people thank him for the lousy deal he just made them on a car. They even come back for another $@#&!%$ with smiles on their face next time they need to purchase something they haven't taken time to find the value of. :)

If you are like that don't waste it trying to sell lousy knives. Get into a product that has a bigger customer base than your parents, grandparents and a few neighbors corraled in who want to help a nice young man/woman get started. :)

If you want to learn about cooking/chefs knives try one of the foodie forums. You can learn much about cooking knives, sharpening, steel, and whatever else you want there. If you think 440A is hot stuff you need to have your eyes openened up and do some learning. 440A should have gone out with the 60's along with orange shag carpets, lime green refrigerators, and cars that couldn't brake or corner. :)

Hit the nail on the head. Good post

The Cutco seller asks a question then can't handle the answers. Yeah, gorilla marketing. Now this thread will pop when a potential customer googles Cutco.

I agree with everything The Mastiff stated.

I inherited a few Cutco knives from a set my parents bought many years ago. I will say that, for the most part, they will get the job done, though often not with the precision, efficiency, or joy I experience when using my finer knives.

They are very expensive for the materials used, though as stated earlier, that may have something to do with being made in the U.S. The same amount of money will buy a knife with much nicer steel and probably a better edge profile.

In my opinion, Cutco's strongest selling point is that their knives are guaranteed forever. Ideal for the folks that don't want to or can't take the time to shop and learn, don't mind spending the money, may not take very good care of their knives, and can get them sharpened or replaced when dull or broken. In other words, they may be just fine for folks whose knives don't have the significance they have in some of our lives.

Last edited:
OP is just doing search engine optimization so his knives will do better in an internet search and each time we mention the brand, it makes it get a higher spot in a search.

OP is just doing search engine optimization so his knives will do better in an internet search and each time we mention the brand, it makes it get a higher spot in a search.
Even when the internet search results in posts like "Cutco knives are overpriced, and shoppers can easily find knives of much better steel or knives of equivalent quality but costing much less than Cutco" or words to the effect, Cutco sucks and are marketed to suckers". Yeah, that's a good plan. About as good a plan as hawking way overpriced so-so knives on a knife enthusiasts forum with informed regulars.

Even when the internet search results in posts like "Cutco knives are overpriced, and shoppers can easily find knives of much better steel or knives of equivalent quality but costing much less than Cutco" or words to the effect, Cutco sucks and are marketed to suckers". Yeah, that's a good plan. About as good a plan as hawking way overpriced so-so knives on a knife enthusiasts forum with informed regulars.

Quoted for double count. :D

Triple? Lol

Ive found them to be uncomfortable to use for anything more than one cut and inefficient cutters. I would rather keep to my victonox or russell (us made btw) cooking knives and spend them money I'd save on a Murray Carter.

The fact the compnay makes you buy your own sales kit and pushes you to sell them to friends and family doesn't site well with me. Why would you hard sell a little old lady a 100+ knife when the one she's been using for 50 yrs is actually better. Snakeoil salesmen.

My oldest Daughter tried selling CutCo knives almost 30 years ago.I believe it was her 1st job. They're way overpriced and nothing special at all. Why do you think they have people put on a circus act to sell them? If they were worth what they cost, all the shenanigans and salespeople wouldn't be necessary.;)

First off, 440A is a lower end stainless steel, it is not a "high carbon steel".

Last edited:
Well, so far, Henkel's turned up and other similar companies.. So I'd agree with you that it's made. But all the 440C knives I'm looking at so far seem to be at about the same price or somewhat more expensive (as far as list price is concerned).

If the 440C is at about the same price, it is likely a far better buy.

Many widely-used steels are significantly superior overall to 440A, but in the end, the steel is like flour for a baker - an ingredient. Cutco knives are know for being on the soft side.

I'd much rather have a set of Shun knives in VG10 over any of the cutco or similar knives.
I Googled both brands

$1,149 for a set of Cutco knives in 440a???
It would cost about double for Shun, but at least you know where your money went.
Like someone already mentioned, Cutco seems to be taking advantage of people who don't know better.

Last edited:
But he said in OP that the training was very enjoyable. Cutco knives save kittens. Anyone who can't see that just be hat'in

My oldest Daughter tried selling CutCo knives almost 30 years ago.I believe it was her 1st job. They're way overpriced and nothing special at all. Why do you think they have people put on a circus act to sell them? If they were worth what they cost, all the shenanigans and salespeople wouldn't be necessary.;)

7b96eae5_kool_aid_oh_yeah.jpeg

I could get Tojiro DP with better grinds, better build quality and better steel for less money. Same is true of a dozen other brands. When I was young and looking for a job I went to a Cutco seminar/recruiting session. Once I handled the knives I immediately backed out. Absolutely not worth the money. Heck, I'd rather buy the Shun set mentioned above and they're not worth the money either.

I knew a guy in college who sold Cutco knives...he also sold marijuana...the latter business was much more lucrative.

Back