Need Facts About CutCo Knives (Please be as objective as possible)

One thing this thread did was get me interested in a decent set of kitchen knives.
Looks like for around $300 I can score an Opinel set in carbon steel and if they are anything like their folders that is one heck of a bargin.

One thing this thread did was get me interested in a decent set of kitchen knives.
Looks like for around $300 I can score an Opinel set in carbon steel and if they are anything like their folders that is one heck of a bargin.

If you don't mind a recommendation, buy a few pieces instead of a set. Chef knife and paring knife are essential, everything else depends on what you do in the kitchen.

I don't think that's correct. Where are you finding that?

Pretty sure it is true. If you go to the Cutco website, you will see Cutco/Ka-Bar knives. I recently received a Cutco catalog and it featured Cutco made Ka-Bar knives. Mike

Pretty sure it is true. If you go to the Cutco website, you will see Cutco/Ka-Bar knives. I recently received a Cutco catalog and it featured Cutco made Ka-Bar knives. Mike
I don't know, but I thought that they were like collaboration or sfos.

I too was tricked into attending a Cutco recruiting meeting. The presenter emphasized that we would be calling on women at their homes during the day and could expect "lots of fun."

With Cutco, it's not about the steel but the sell. It's not a scam, what are they scamming people out of? You buy a product at a certain agreed price and you get the product.

Their business is just a type of distribution and sales model.

But, yes, it's a first job for college students. It's a good learning experience at least of learning how to sell. But, you are mostly limited to family and friends who'll do a "pity purchase" to help a college student.

I bought a carving set from my nephew. But I bought it with the intent to give it to him when he gets married. :)

I don't know, but I thought that they were like collaboration or sfos.

http://www.kabar.com/about

It looks like Ka-Bar is still able to design and build its own designs using its materials of choice. The Ka-Bar models that Cutco creates and sells seem to made from 410 stainless and are quite a bit more expensive than the regular Ka-Bars.

Dog's Head is a Ka-Bar knife made in Seki around 2005. Union Cutery is also Ka-Bar.
While Cutco does own K- Bar and some Sporting knives carry the Cutco/Ka-Bar label
these cooking knives are completely separate from the Cutco line being discussed.

Correct. That's why I posted the following...
Can't speak to that question as I've never owned any of the 440A line.

My point was simply that, just because it says Cutco, doesn't necessarily mean it's the Cutco Cutlery line with 440A. Likely, but not necessarily.

Common knowledge. Kabar Inc. is a subsidiary of Cutco who in turn produces BK&T knives.

The wording there is a little off. Cutco Corporation owns both Cutco Cutlery and Ka-Bar. These are separate lines. Ka-Bar produces BK&T knives.

Common knowledge. Kabar Inc. is a subsidiary of Cutco who in turn produces BK&T knives.
Not trying to ruffle feathers. I have never purchased a Kabar and know very little about the company. Widely known among Kabar fans? I'm sure. Common knowledge? I wouldn't say so. But thank you for that info!
Correct. That's why I posted the following...

My point was simply that, just because it says Cutco, doesn't necessarily mean it's the Cutco Cutlery line with 440A. Likely, but not necessarily.

The wording there is a little off. Cutco Corporation owns both Cutco Cutlery and Ka-Bar. These are separate lines. Ka-Bar produces BK&T knives.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

Even when the internet search results in posts like "Cutco knives are overpriced, and shoppers can easily find knives of much better steel or knives of equivalent quality but costing much less than Cutco" or words to the effect, Cutco sucks and are marketed to suckers". Yeah, that's a good plan. About as good a plan as hawking way overpriced so-so knives on a knife enthusiasts forum with informed regulars.

That is an interesting post, and I'm not sure why it has not been quoted for posterity....

Hmm is it too long for a signature line?

That said, I have a few cutco knives. Wanna guess who purchased them for me?

You betcha. My well meaning mother.

Had I been able, I would have returned my set, her set, my brother and sisters set, and bought them all better knives.
And then used the difference saved to put a deposit on a time share in Iraq. The guy selling the Cutco was selling time shares in Iraq. I hear they are right on the beach, and sure to increase in value......

It really rolls off the tongue, and trust me, the ladies can't resist a man with a beach front time share in Iraq (that's what the Cutco guy told me!).

They are pretty rust resistant....

If you don't mind a recommendation, buy a few pieces instead of a set. Chef knife and paring knife are essential, everything else depends on what you do in the kitchen.
Thanks and you are correct. I am on my second made in China pot metal set in 23 years and still haven't used everything in the block.

Well hello, As someone who has had direct contact with Cutco been a top producer. Trained several of their very best Including Matt Lamb, who broke all sorts of records with Cutco, first yes The program is a full on scam. And IMO without much doubt you have been allowed to pull a not so fast one here. I can see you with print outs of the positive post going to see your "friends" with a $1000 knife package they just have to have. It is pure tier marketing and based on the emotion that everyone feels a little sadness and failure in their life and they hate to see you go through it. Only the most lethal and predatory young men and women make it. No one makes it long, because all the promises they offer keep getting placed just out of reach, with handsome rewards along the way. YES, I have seen the $3500 a week checks and the "loaded" American Express gift cards. But in the wake of that were "friends" who could not make a house payment, strapped with a $2500 knife payment.

As far as the knives go, they are solid, but not special. They come from the factory razor sharp and quickly dull, and NO ONE except Cutco can return them to their original condition. Try it and you WILL HAVE JUNK. This pattern is expected to repeat itself 3 times in the "cycle" for the product manager to achieve his full draw on purchase. Meaning Sharpening, which leads to contact again with Cutco marketing designed to NEVER allow a customer out of debt. But if you do plan to purchase, know that 70 plus % of the "members" leave money on the table. The Agent has , based on his/her level up to 40% gross sale to give away. Anything they "keep" is pure profit , IF they can produce this 5 times in a given week. So based on the fact that the knives, must be forever professionally maintained, During which time Cutco is going to badger you to buy more product you did not need, and your "FRIEND" is withholding free products in order to get further in a line, they will NEVER reach, I have seen many Friendships lost. The handles will melt in certain dishwashers, seen it at least 10 times on various knives. No warranty on the melt, washer error, lol. In the end, save the > $ 2000 and buy you a good set < $ 400 at many stores. Plus you will be saving a friendship and putting some young kid to work without a broken dream, after wasting 2-3 years with Cutco. Those regional jobs just do not exist. And if so , not for long.

Nah I'm not. Just want want to know whether it's worth it / how overpriced it is. I can accept the controversial Vector stuff if the product I'm pitching is actually as good as they say it is, or at least at the same level of comparable blades. @ Loonybin That sounds like a fair analysis. Some good, some bad. All the Japanese knives I've seen look better, I'll give them that, unless you just prefer minimalist design. I just want to sort out fact from fiction. And I'm not yet finished with the training, last day is tomorrow...

Last edited:
I own one Cutco knife. One. The 1891 folder. Like a Gerber LST but a little bigger. At one point I tried to get a replacement pocket clip and was told that I must send the knife in to have it replaced. I can't do that? A removable ambidextrous pocket clip has to be serviced by the maker? When I ask Cutco why this was, I was told, "For safety reasons." What ever that means.

Ka Bar offers a folder for about 20 bucks that will cut the heart out of it's Cutco cousin. It even has the same pocket clip. Better knife, less money. Much less.

I would by a Gerber with mystery blade steel before I would buy another Cutco.

Semanticize it however you wish......

I wish to get the ordering correct such that it's more apparent Ka-Bar is a separate division with its own president and decision making processes.

Having been in knife sharpening business for for years we get the Cutco question all the time, Are they worth it? My opinion is they are a very well made, high quality stamped knife and their serrated knives work very well. But they are very expensive for what you are getting. I always suggest to take advantage of the free lifetime sharpening because you paid for it. Most times people are just to embarrassed to say no to the college kid selling them because its their next door neighbor.

Depends on how you temper the still i think in trek knives he uses 440 and his knives are tough as he'll

Back