New ferro rod strikers

Hi Scott, are these still something you could make? If you're still doin' em I'd like to get one like Mike's in post #11, the sharpened one (is that the 'old' style?).

Got the striker today! It's great, very compact. Gonna try to figure out a very slim/sleek blade cover so I can just keep it attached to a firesteel. I did tie a noose-knot (name?) to give it sort of a full hand grip, works pretty well.

Got it out of the box and promptly cut my finger really well, which is usually a good sign of sharpness. :)

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

Quick question: for those of you with sharpened strikers, are you using the sharp edge as a strike or reserving the spine for that use? I had originally picked it up to use the edge that way, but the notion always rubs me wrong.

man these are so cool.

They are indeed. :D

i have one of the first sharpened ones that Scott did, and man is it SHARP...:eek: it's pretty darn cool..

i have always used the spine of my knives to srtike the firesteels, never the edge... :thumbup:

That's what I was feeling guys. I never use the edge of knives for that either ( :eek: ) but couldn't decide to classify this as a knife that makes a good striker, or a pure striker. But that helps with the quandary.

aloha scott if still making those strikers ill take one sharpend let me know ,mahaloz

aloha scott if still making those strikers ill take one sharpend let me know ,mahaloz

I have to make a couple for another forum member. Just let me know which style you prefer and I'll make one up for you. Thanks
Scott

Old School preferred, but if you are making a batch, I'll try either style. :D

Back