New spin on the bushcraft = Bushmaster

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What would be better than the Bushcraft Knife?

Why, a seriously beefed-up version, don't ya think?!?

:D

Take a peek at the design "in the works":

bushmaster.gif

I definitely DO listen to customer feedback! :thumbup:

Based on some comments and testing....I'm toying around with a larger version - shown in the first two drawings.

The bottom drawing is the bushcraft - as-is.

The top knife is 10" long overall with a 5" blade.

The steel would be 3V, A2, O1 or D2, 3/16" thick. The grind would be full flat to the top. The space between the handle and the thumbramp would be rounded for comfort...after that, squared off...to a drop point, rather than a spear point.

The handle would start with 3/8" thick material (micarta, ironwood, cocobolo, G10 - whatever you like) and would be contoured nicely. Length is 5 inches, and 1.25" tall at the belly. The area near the butt is dropped back more - to add more room on the handle. Should be nice-n-roomy. :D

The middle knife is more of a "go-between" of the two. Maintains a bit of a spear point. Would be 5/32" thick with a nice scandi grind.

Both feature more a guard and keep the same lanyard/pins layout as the bushcraft.

I'm pretty sure the top one is going to get made.

Sorry...neither of these will be production run...but I will likely consider them for custom orders.

First off, I need to make a sample and test it out. :D
(The FUN PART....for me, that is. :p)

For me, the bushcraft design is one that is easy to carry, EDC....whether in the outdoors or 'round town. Light, simple, efficient.

The Bushmaster on the other hand...

:eek: :D :thumbup:

Well...whatcha think?

Dan

Latest Designs here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5369190&postcount=57

FIRST PROTOTYPE HAS BEEN FINISHED!!!!

LOOK HERE:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537180

I like the middle one! I have large hands and feel the Bushcraft would be perfect for me it it was 15% larger... how much?

You hit the nail on the head, Joel. This one is 15% larger...all around. ;)

I like either of the larger two designs.

What would really be great is the top one with a full convex!!!!

Looks nice!

For custom options I think the standard model with 3/8 scales and a 1/8" blade to facilitate slicing would be really cool too.:thumbup:

Dan, I like the top one!

If you go big, go hard!

What about some belly in the blade, or are you wanting to keep the original design constraints same, just larger?

Either way, put me down for one with a 'Gundy' sheath. :)

Wow! Love both of em, especially #1. I'd be down for one (or both) when you get round to making them.

Chinpo

"In for a penny in for a pound", Dan put me down for one of the "big" ones and might as well give me a "Gundy" Sheath as well :D

Greg S

Its pretty. I personally lik the original size better, but the bigger one will certainly please some folks. I'd like to see it with a full flat grind. JMHO.

Oh man, I need to stop looking in this forum! I love the top one, slightly larger, flat ground, A2 steel:eek::D I would NEED one of those for sure!

I like the middle one! I have large hands and feel the Bushcraft would be perfect for me it it was 15% larger... how much?

You hit the nail on the head, Joel. This one is 15% larger...all around. ;)

No need to say anything else.... you two have said it right here.... :thumbup:

Sign me up, I want in when it happens......:thumbup: :D :thumbup:

PS / Upon further thought... after taking time to really read your post Dan... :eek:
I would / will get both of those.... custom or not ...... :thumbup:

An "adult size" Bushy and a sweet drop point that would work very well on "Bambi" or even "Bullweinkle" .........:D

Dan you are seriously killing me here. The top one is gorgeous. I would leave out the thumb grooves as there is no way I would use that for fire steel. The spine on the bushcraft eats my fire steel for breakfast.

The top one resembles BRK&T's Bravo 1 and that is a huge selling item for them.

Thanks for all the comments, guys! :thumbup:

I think I'll probably go with the top one. The middle one has merit...but the top one "does it for me". :D

At 3/16", flat grind is the best way to go. This is going to be a serious hard-use knife. I want to make it as tough and usable as possible. I have a "gap" in the 5"-7" blade range...and this would fill it nicely. :D

Lucky me I have some 3/16" O1 already in stock...:eek:

I'll make up a prototype and post it to the forum next week to see what you guys think. Maybe even make it a passaround?!?

What do you think about that?

Dan

[/B]
I definitely DO listen to customer feedback! :thumbup;

Based on some comments and testing....I'm toying around with a larger version - shown in the first two drawings.

The top knife is 10" long overall with a 5" blade.

The steel would be 3V, A2, O1 or D2, 3/16" thick. The grind would be full flat to the top. The space between the handle and the thumbramp would be rounded for comfort...after that, squared off...to a drop point, rather than a spear point.

The handle would start with 3/8" thick material (micarta, ironwood, cocobolo, G10 - whatever you like) and would be contoured nicely. Length is 5 inches, and 1.25" tall at the belly. The area near the butt is dropped back more - to add more room on the handle. Should be nice-n-roomy. :D

The middle knife is more of a "go-between" of the two. Maintains a bit of a spear point. Would be 5/32" thick with a nice scandi grind.

I'm pretty sure the top one is going to get made.

Sorry...neither of these will be production run...but I will likely consider them for custom orders.

For me, the bushcraft design is one that is easy to carry, EDC....whether in the outdoors or 'round town. Light, simple, efficient.

Dan

I know it is early.. I understand no production run ... got it .....:)

BUT, will the "Adult Bushy" .... the "MIDDLE ONE" / the.... Koster Bushcraft Grande' .... KBG' for short ......... be avaiable as a custom order if no production run is done ???

Bushcraft Grande' / KBG' ... might just be a good name for it.... ?????

What do ya' think ??

I am stoked after seeing this ............. :thumbup: :D

Those look great, that fixes what, for me, was the only problem with the first bushcrafter. I'm normally a scandi superfreak, but that top one is really handsome looking too. I'd love to see (or get to handle) one of these.

What's a rough picture cost for either one of the top ones?

Have no idea....need to make one first.

This is all very preliminary.

At least one of these will see daylight soon....!

Interesting. I'd make the handle curves a bit deeper, but other than that it looks good. Sign me up for the passaround. :D

Back