Next Production Run of the Bushcraft - suggestions?

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ok...got some great news...

I have found a way to bring about another production run of the Bushcraft knife...and keep costs down and manageable like last time.

So, I'm opening up a discussion to see what you guys would like to have considered for this next run.

Please feel free to ask questions and make comments...or even just run yer mouth...it's all GOOD. :thumbup:

I'll start a list of suggestions that I'm considering as well as the ones I'm incorporating for sure.

Suggestions for Consideration:

1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -

Definite Changes:

1. - THICKER HANDLES = on this next run, I will be using 3/8" thick material. Unfortunately that means cost will go up a little bit...but I think it's worth it.
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -

I do listen to you guys suggestions and ideas...just have to find a way to balance them all and fit what I can into a reasonably priced package. :thumbup:

So, feel free to let it all out.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan,

I'd like to see just a touch of belly on the blade?

Not sure if you can get the 3v in only the one size but I'd like to see one with a thinner blade 1/8" or thinner.

The thicker scales is a great idea.I love my thick one!:thumbup:

And I think you've gone back to it already but bringing the edge back down to real near the little guard.

And, thumb grooves like the latest ones, or even altogether absent.

I like the present thickness, other than that +1 to everything Hollowdweller said.

More of a guard like you did on the Bushmaster to help keep your hand from sliding up the handle onto the blade

I would not make any changes to the Bushcraft. Would like to see a few basic micarta flavors; didn't really care for the burgundy on that last one. JMO. I like the striker tip, or however you refer to it.

Providing a basic JRE sheath option would be fantastic. No firesteel loop, no stone holder. :)

:thumbup:

No guard please.. :eek:

I'd like to see some thumbserrations an inch behind the tip of the blade.
I'd like a hidden, but full tang..
thicker scales yes..

:thumbup:

Dan,

I would like to see you make that mid-size bushcraft knife. I feel that that larger size would be perfect for me. Your Bush Master is just a little larger knife than I want.

I also really like the look of the penitrator tip.:thumbup:

A Desert Ironwood handle with liner option would be nice.:thumbup:

Tapered-Tangs are also nice.:thumbup:

Joel

The only thing I was going to mention Dan addressed at the beginning...thicker slabs. I think it's a great knife as is.

Oh, and if possible, CPM D2!

Last edited:
To me the bushie is perfect,I could see opting thicker slabs for those with big ole paws but the Bushcraft fits me perfect,I love it

Dan,
I have been packing the Bushcraft for the last 6 months in Afghanistan. It is the only knife that I carry it does everything. I keep a Bushcraft blade (no handle) in my bug out kit in case. I don't need you to change any thing. but when you do another run I would like two more blade's, and (like Can-Am joel said) if you offered the knife in Desert iron wood i would take one of those too.

Kevin

Full convex grind, or a bit higher scandi.

A bit more of a guard, or a bit deeper curve for the index finger.

Thumb grooves region about half as long as currently - keep the half near the tip. This is probably personal preference, since I have long thumbs.

Add the Bushmaster guard.

Keep the Bushcraft thumb grooves.

Keep the penetrator tip.

Just my nickle's worth of opinion.

Last edited:
How about a 12C27 stainless option.

There already is the superior 13c26 option :thumbup:

Dan, I have a bushcraft on order for about six months.
Please do not change anything !!! :(
It's just perfect as it is

Beefier handle, 1/8" stock blade but with a little more belly to it !
No hidden tangs and No penertrator tips...........JMO !!!

Oh yeah and maybe a Koster knives pic competition to win a prototype !!!!:D:thumbup:

Last edited:
the 3V with a scandi edge is becoming the critical format as i shop for Kosters.

other than that, i appreciate the 1/8" stock but don't mind thick either. variety is nice.

my suggestion: a cheap and serviceable sheath. a kydex sleeve would do. nylon pouch. anything that provides a safe carry option for the knife.

Back