Next Production Run of the Bushcraft - suggestions?

Looks good so far Dan. To be honest I feel the only changes that could be made to your origional would be to make the blade a little taller ( so it has a little more belly ) and beef up the handle slabs. Your origional grind etc looked just right.
Making them in D2 steel also sounds great, a real good compromise on edge holding, corrosion resistance, toughness etc !!!! You don't hear too many complaints about Bob Dozier knives and they are D2 !!!!!!

I am personally a pretty big fan of the full flat grind version that you have made up in a thread somewhere around here.

I do like the new design that you are showing very much, I like it!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

How's about a rounded spine?

One of the features of the bushcraft that folks have made a stink about is the squared-off spine...for striking a firesteel. So, I'll probably need to stick with it.

Dan,

That design looks good. The gaurd looks good. It is hard to tell but is the blade also taller than the origonal model? A little taller blade would be better! What are the specs on the drawing?

Joel

Yes the blade is taller in this latest drawing.

Dan

Man I seem to be on a different page to some here !

Why do some want a full flat grind when a scandi works so great ?

Why does anyone want a penetrator tip and swedge, it's for Bushcraft not fighting ?

Man I seem to be on a different page to some here !

Why does anyone want a penetrator tip and swedge, it's for Bushcraft not fighting ?

I have to agree with pitdog, I see no real purpose other than looks of the penetrator tip.

Honestly there's not much difference between scandi and full flat except blade thickness: the thicker the blade the higher your scandi bevel has to reach to keep the same angle... and it can get high to the point it's a full flat grind.

I dunno, guys....I like the striker tip. :D

But I promise it will only ever be an option. :thumbup:

For me, there is a huge difference between a full flat grind and a scandi grind. From sharpening to wood-cutting to batoning to even just the weight difference. There's no mistaking it....the full flat ground bushcraft blank I posted yesterday...it feels like a regular ole "huntin knife"...even though it is thicker than normal stock. The regular bushcraft feels like a heavy-duty tool by comparison. It begs to be beat on.

*shrug*

Honestly there's not much difference between scandi and full flat except blade thickness: the thicker the blade the higher your scandi bevel has to reach to keep the same angle... and it can get high to the point it's a full flat grind.

I can only speak from my own experience bro but when I tested my flat ground Spyderco Temperance against my Scandi ground Koster Nessie there was a huge difference in favour in of the Nessie !!!

Let's talk price for a minute....what's the breaking point for you guys?

Part of the success of the first bushcraft was being able to keep the price under $100 for the knife.

I'm not sure I can do that again...especially if we start adding options....so, what price would be a deal-breaker? $110? $120? $150?

If I can set a "no more than this____" price level, then I can start making more informed decisions about what materials/techniques to incorporate.

:thumbup:

Dan

For a first Koster, I'd be willing to spend 150 on it, of course. But, I probably wouldn't buy a second at that price....(money is an issue, debt from school), but I'd have no qualms about picking up number two at 110, whereas I wouldn't be able to justify it at 150. for numbers between 110 and 150, i'd have to see the variant and see how it appeals to me.

g

Thicker handle is definitely a great idea.

Plus the end "foot" or protruding part (circled area) is a bit too agressive in reverse grip see pic3.
I'd suggest to drag that "foot" lower so it gives a longer handle area and doesn"t get in the way, still keeping the knife retention function.

Pic3

Due to lack of time I'll have to comment more later.
BUT, the above picture and comment by "Rayvaillac" hit home with me.

IMO, the circled part is way to aggressive. It could be totally eliminated and as far as I am concerned ..... be much more comfortable.

More thoughts later. :thumbup: :)

I don't know about the rest of you...but this really shows the difference..I hope this attachment work.
It shows in order new design,bushmaster,yet to come maybe and original bushcraft

Attachments

• New design.doc
    40 KB · Views: 48
Yes...just remember that the top drawing is not to scale with the bottom 3. The length is the same for all bushcraft designs right now (8.5" overall).

Here's a drawing showing the first production run on top, then the template I am now using for all bushcrafts "in the works" and then on bottom the new design - which I have further modified.

bushcraft0820a.gif

Dan

and now all 3 with the BushMaster on the bottom:

bushcraft0820b.gif

(drawing is to scale proportionally)

As you can see, even with the enlargments on the Bushcraft, the BushMaster is still quite a bit bigger all around.

Dan

Thanks Dan much better for all of us..this is design is great

Jim

"Hold Fast"

just to be clear...that was already changed in the bushcrafts after the first run...you can see it in the cut-out blank here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577111

:thumbup:

Dan

OK, I think I now finally understand............. :thumbup:

Sorry, I guess I am just kinda slow. :confused:
It is tough getting old, ya'll will get there someday guys ......
:D :D ;)

Yes...just remember that the top drawing is not to scale with the bottom 3. The length is the same for all bushcraft designs right now (8.5" overall).

Here's a drawing showing the first production run on top, then the template I am now using for all bushcrafts "in the works" and then on bottom the new design - which I have further modified.

bushcraft0820a.gif

Dan

and now all 3 with the BushMaster on the bottom:

bushcraft0820b.gif

(drawing is to scale proportionally)

As you can see, even with the enlargments on the Bushcraft, the BushMaster is still quite a bit bigger all around.

Dan

Thanks Dan much better for all of us..this is design is great

Jim

"Hold Fast"

Amen .................. :thumbup:

Back