Next Production Run of the Bushcraft - suggestions?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot..........
When this happens...........
Count me in ............. :thumbup:

Okay, I'm gonna catch hell for asking, but... how about a bare blade option? Okay, you've done that with the kit knives (and I'm anxiously waiting for mine) but maybe, just maybe, a few from the regular production might creep out as well?

I promise not to sully your name by selling off weird-looking crap like has happened to some of those Spyderco Mules. My Mule is still safe on the shelf; not for sale.

Dan,

I would still love to see the mid-sized Bushcraft knife produced. Call it the BushMaster Jr. or Bushcraft Sr. (sorry Gossman;)) My thoughts are I already have a Bushcraft and the changes you have made to the new bushcraft are not enough for me to order another one. However, if you are doing the next production run to full unsupplied demand from the first run then go for it.:thumbup:

I feel that the BushMaster is larger than I would be interested in but a knife 15% or so larger than the Bushcraft would be a knife i would order. :D

Like the middle knife from this post:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531708

Keep up the great work Dan and thanks for letting us be part of the process.:thumbup:

Joel

Last edited:
Dan,
I forgot to say this yesterday...... but thankx for posting the drawings of the Bushcrafts & Bushmaster above.
This makes it very obvious of the "evolution" of the handles.
I would even go so far as to say it makes it.... crystal clear......... :thumbup:
Thank you & sorry if I have been a pain in trying to understand....... :confused: :eek: :D
I do see it all plain now........:thumbup:

Dan,

I would still love to see the mid-sized Bushcraft knife produced. Call it the BushMaster Jr. or Bushcraft Sr. (sorry Gossman;)) My thoughts are I already have a Bushcraft and the changes you have made to the new bushcraft are not enough for me to order another one. However, if you are doing the next production run to full unsupplied demand from the first run then go for it.:thumbup:

I feel that the BushMaster is larger than I would be interested in but a knife 15% or so larger than the Bushcraft would be a knife i would order. :D

Keep up the great work Dan and thanks for letting us be part of the process.:thumbup:

Joel

I also would like to see this one produced someday......... :thumbup:
I would surely be in for at least one.

However, I have to disagree with your thoughts on the Bushcraft........ I think the changes in the handle are fantastic and will surely vote that way with my $$$$$........ ;)

Can't wait to get my Bushmasters either.......... :thumbup:

To me the bushie is perfect,I could see opting thicker slabs for those with big ole paws but the Bushcraft fits me perfect,I love it

+1

Exactly what I was thinking. Other then maybe a penetrator tip and G10 scales not a thing I'd change.

Dan-

Can you tell me a bit about the penetrator tip. I'd like your input as to why/how you developed it. Pros/cons...I'd like to know. Thanks.

If I had my way, I'd have the Bushcraft with thicker scales (I like a knife that fills my hand) and the larger guard. Other than that it looks like pure function, all tied up in a sleek package.

OK, I just went back through the thread and I like the idea of the updated blade shape (a touch taller) and I really like D2. If a D2 blade with micarta scales (natural for me) would come to around $125 or so, I think I'd be in. I don't know if I'd want it thinner than 1/8" though like you had mentioned earlier in the thread.

The cool thing about the third design is that those the liked the first two won't be affected by the new third one. For example, if the first-run knife fit your hand well....the new one will still fit your hand. But now it will also fit those with wider palms and longer fingers. And if you liked the guard...you'll like having a little more guard.

So, I think overall...I really like where this is headed.

PB Wilson - the striker tip is part looks and part function (aids in penetrating materials). It's not a swedge...totally different. If you look at the tip from the top (spine) not much material has been removed. Just enough to help you get the knife in deeper into whatever it is you're using it for...including opening letters, cutting cardboard, carving wood, digging, drilling holes, cutting leather/skins, skinning, stabbing, and so on.

I call it a striker tip because I respect Busse and don't want to piggyback on their great ideas/designs.

I put it on a bushcraft because I was having trouble doing fine cutting in soft materials...the thickness was destroying the materials...and sticking the knife straight into a material required more force than I wanted. After getting the striker tip, all the above activities were much, much easier.

And as far as I can tell, it does not weaken the tip.

I grind it at the same angle as the scandi grind...so, it's pretty stout.

And I too would like to keep it under $125 for sure....

I am being very, very tempted by the 3/32" CPM D2....I think it may be a "done deal" now....I'll start a poll next week to see what everybody thinks overall...it would make a killer knife. Superb edge-holding and near-stainless.

Dan

huh... I stirred up something after my "Striker tip" comment... I don't see how though. It's such a practical design as Dan mentioned...

Dan, I know you're busy, but have you given any further thoughts to this? Just curious.

Add the Bushmaster guard.

Keep the Bushcraft thumb grooves.

Keep the penetrator tip.

Just my nickle's worth of opinion.

What he said plus...

Thicker slabs with the Bushmaster wood option and just a hint of a finger guard and most important .... KEEP IT A SCANDI GRIND! :thumbup:

I'd like to see the point dropped a little less, give it a bit more belly, and keep the low profile guard.

And if it were a custom for me, a slightly shorter handle.

Dan,

Joel

Middle knife would be the perfect bushcraft tool for me. I'd buy 4 of them.

Back