Next Production Run of the Bushcraft - suggestions?

Well As I never handled one of these knife I can't say anything in regards
to the knife size or design.

But I'd like to catch one with orange micarta scales and scandi grind
Just my 2 cent worth opinion.

After owning your Bushcraft for a while and using it exclusively in the bush - here are my suggestions:

1) Thicker scales - I see you have added that.
2) Slightly longer handle. I mean less than 1/4 inch. I have smaller hands - and it is just not long enough. You could even add some swell toward the butt of the handle to prevent slipping off the back.
3) A little more guard - just a little more rise toward the coil to give it a little more security from slippage. I see the guard ont he prototype of the Bushmaster - that is about right (made to scale of course).
4) A little palm swell in the middle of the handle would also make it more comfortable.

Honestly, these are nit picking points to the knife - it is damned near perfect as is.

Also Dan, Can you please send me an e-mail when you make the order - I want in for sure.

jmoulenbelt at hotmail.com

Thanks,

TF

Last edited:
Dan- I was curious as to when you might get around to this new production run. I'm not pressuring you, I'm just very interested. I read your recent nessmuk thread explaining your backlog of knife orders, and don't need a Bushcraft immediately, but would this run come sometime in early 2009? Sooner? Later? Let me know so I can save my pennies and await a 3V bushcraft with striker tip and thick micarta scales.

Dan- I was curious as to when you might get around to this new production run. I'm not pressuring you, I'm just very interested. I read your recent nessmuk thread explaining your backlog of knife orders, and don't need a Bushcraft immediately, but would this run come sometime in early 2009? Sooner? Later? Let me know so I can save my pennies and await a 3V bushcraft with striker tip and thick micarta scales.

Thanks a lot PB Wilson you have done that I've planned to do and much more
better than I am able to with my Frenchie English. :thumbup:

Having a Fehrman Peacemaker, I have grown quite fond of 3V. At the same time I'm on the look out for a smaller lighter blade. Can anybody please tell me how long is the blade length of the Bushcraft and what is the typical weight?

BTW I like the new design.

//Rickard//

I emailed Dan about a custom bushcraft and he stated that the new bushcraft run would take place in early 09'. So I am in the same boat, eagerly waiting (and saving).

The thicker scales would be brilliant. HD's in that thickness is badass. A slightly larger knife overall, just beefing up the width of the blade and handle, would be cool.

Past that, the only other major thing would be changing to 1/8" steel.

:thumbup:

I think I have to be sure to get in on the next run of these, I am sad I have managed to miss out on all of the offers so far.

This next run however, I WILL manage to get one!

Last edited:
Thicker slabs (preferably blaze orange), slightly taller blade, and a bit more gaurd and I would be on board for at least 2 of them.

IMHO-If you think that part of the knife is useless you probably don't really understand it's function.

I certainly do not think it is useless, but....... I am not sure I really understand it's real function either.

What is it ?

Help me out......... seriously........... :)

IMHO-If you think that part of the knife is useless you probably don't really understand it's function.

I certainly do not think it is useless, but....... I am not sure I really understand it's real function either.
What is it ?
Help me out......... seriously........... :)

Never mind... I found it........ :thumbup: :D

The reason for the "useless" part was actually to give a place for the lanyard so that it wasn't under your grip when you had the knife in hand. Clears it nicely.

Also, I can't cut too much of it off....look at your pics...see how the back part of your hand wraps around the spine at the base...and it's lower than where your fingers grab the blade....if I cut the handle shorter, you'll definitely feel it there...will poke into your palm...even worse for guys with large hands.
:thumbup:
Dan

~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a drawing showing the first production run on top, then the template I am now using for all bushcrafts "in the works" and then on bottom the new design - which I have further modified.

bushcraft0820a.gif

Dan

and now all 3 with the BushMaster on the bottom:

bushcraft0820b.gif

(drawing is to scale proportionally)

As you can see, even with the enlargments on the Bushcraft, the BushMaster is still quite a bit bigger all around.

Dan

The cool thing about the third design is that those the liked the first two won't be affected by the new third one. For example, if the first-run knife fit your hand well....the new one will still fit your hand. But now it will also fit those with wider palms and longer fingers. And if you liked the guard...you'll like having a little more guard.

So, I think overall...I really like where this is headed.

PB Wilson - the striker tip is part looks and part function (aids in penetrating materials). It's not a swedge...totally different. If you look at the tip from the top (spine) not much material has been removed. Just enough to help you get the knife in deeper into whatever it is you're using it for...including opening letters, cutting cardboard, carving wood, digging, drilling holes, cutting leather/skins, skinning, stabbing, and so on.

I call it a striker tip because I respect Busse and don't want to piggyback on their great ideas/designs.

I put it on a bushcraft because I was having trouble doing fine cutting in soft materials...the thickness was destroying the materials...and sticking the knife straight into a material required more force than I wanted. After getting the striker tip, all the above activities were much, much easier.

And as far as I can tell, it does not weaken the tip.

I grind it at the same angle as the scandi grind...so, it's pretty stout.

And I too would like to keep it under $125 for sure....

I am being very, very tempted by the 3/32" CPM D2....I think it may be a "done deal" now....I'll start a poll next week to see what everybody thinks overall...it would make a killer knife. Superb edge-holding and near-stainless.

Dan

Dan

1. Any guess as to when these might happen? Something in the "ballpark" will do. :thumbup: :)

2. Did I miss the POLL mentioned above? :confused:

Last edited:
Dan- I'm very, very excited to see that third-gen Bushcrafter. That looks really handsome. The inscrease in the 'height' of the handle, coupled with your new thicker scales, would turn it into a whole other blade. :thumbup:

Especially at that price point, I'm interested to say the least.

My personal choice, though, would be away from D2 steel. It's a pain in the rear to maintain the edge on them. O1 maybe?

O1 is now more expensive than I can get CPM 3V for....:(

I do think a poll is in order....I'll gather up the thoughts expressed here and put 'em in a new thread and we'll see what happens!

And yes, I am looking at early '09 to get rolling on these.

I too like Blaze Orange G10...but I can't offer it at a low price...pricey stuff!

Dan

Back