Ordered a Ratmandu!

inkynate
My God that tan and black is gorgeous! I can't wait to get mine. Sweet scores on the others. I really have high hopes for the ratmandu. It checks a lot of boxes for me. My mashed cat sheath will arrive today, so says tracking so its pants will be ready when it arrives!

Time going by waiting
[video=youtube;qM6HnDAeR8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM6HnDAeR8U[/video]

Side note, I got my mashed cat sheath and it's super high quality. I have an Esee Molle Back coming in the mail and will post pics when I have the full kit together. I wanted the ability to toss it on my hip or my ruck or my vest at will.

Good to see some new blood in here having fun :thumbup:

Cryptyc, did you go with Eric's pancake or taco style?

Knocks,
I got the pancake style because I wanted more options of mounting to either a esee molle back or tying to kits with paracord. The sheath is super high quality and reminds me a lot of AZWelkes sheaths (which I own a few for beckers).

I GOT MY SHIPPING NOTICE!!!!!

Man I'm psyched. My molle back will be here tomorrow to be put on my sheath and my knife should be here Thursday! I'm so pumped.

Glad to hear all the excitement here, I know the knife won't let you down! Be sure to post those pics of the whole rig when you have it all around! I like seeing how others carry, some very unique styles out there to choose from thats for sure.

I GOT MY SHIPPING NOTICE!!!!!

Man I'm psyched. My molle back will be here tomorrow to be put on my sheath and my knife should be here Thursday! I'm so pumped.
I'm glad you posted this,my bank sent me a new chipped card with a new # so likely mine didn't go through. I need to call them today.
Called this morning and talked to Amy, my transaction went thru after all.:D Still trying to decide between leather or kydex on the sheath.:confused::)

Last edited:
hindsight,
Without a doubt. I'll have pics and impressions posted up by tomorrow AM I'm sure. I am super psyched.

skyhorse,
I like the versatility of kydex personally. I plan on using my ratmandu as a catch-all blade. I wanted to simplify my load out a little bit so this blade will be used for camping, hiking, military use, etc. Kydex just makes more sense for my needs. Leather looks cooler though.

hindsight,
Without a doubt. I'll have pics and impressions posted up by tomorrow AM I'm sure. I am super psyched.

skyhorse,
I like the versatility of kydex personally. I plan on using my ratmandu as a catch-all blade. I wanted to simplify my load out a little bit so this blade will be used for camping, hiking, military use, etc. Kydex just makes more sense for my needs. Leather looks cooler though.
I'm likely going with a mashed cat and G clip.Yes the ratmandu looks like a very versitile knife. Wondering how many strip their blade coating ?

Oh snap! It's here!!!!

Here's my beauty. Sharpened by Alex:

Got the sheath all put together:

Impressions of the knife: It has a truly great feel in the hand. Seems like it will be a good utility blade with being able to work as a capable fighter as well. The coating is thick as all heck and kind of rough (see issues with sheath below). The grind is awesomely even and the edge is decent, but will shine after I do my own sharpening I'm sure. The handles are amazingly comfortable. I will give it some serious use over the next months and see if I can find any hot spots with regular use etc. This blade looks like it could take a serious ass kicking and keep going.

Impressions of the sheath set up: The mashed cat sheath is super tight! I mean retention causes it to be a two-handed affair. I am not new to kydex or having to be rough with sheathing and unsheathing knives. Trust me when I say this is a two-hand operation. I believe that the blade being new and the coating being thick is what is causing the issues. The actual sides of the blade rub the whole way down the sheath when sheathing the blade. In fact, I would take it out and see coyote kydex in the coating of the blade so I know that's the problem. Anyhow I feel with time and blade use it will loosen up just enough to work great.

The molle back system works great and mounted up with a little messing around. I think it will prove to be valuable for strapping my blade to my ruck on longer marches and giving me the option to mount on my IOTV etc. if I want to.

Things to do for the future: I am definitely going to sharpen it up nicely tonight and convex the edge a little, as I usually do. I will use 600, 1500, and 2500 grit sandpaper to smooth the finish on the blade (not strip, just smooth it). I can't imagine a coating that rough will assist me with cutting tasks. I also have a combat master short sheath coming since I prefer one hand operation for sheathing and unsheating on my belt. For now the mashed cat/molle back will reside purely on packs and vests.

More pics and experiences to come!

nice set up, man. Mine wasn't coated so i can't speak from experience, but your little future tweaks sound spot on to me. I think you'd want your sheath a little too tight at first, than the opposite. Like you said, ill bet with use it'll break in really nice. Best of luck, I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Rusty,
Yes, I agree. Definitely prefer tight over loose.....for sheaths and stuff hahahaha.

Glad you got it and looking forward to more photo's and updates. The handle looks tan in some photo's and brown in others?

That's a beautiful Rat and will last you many years.

And you got it in 2 weeks! :thumbup:

Gotta be honest, I didn't think they were selling stock knives on the site anymore. Don't know why I had that impression. Just went and checked, they are still offering 5 models. I have a feeling you're going to love that blade, congrats on your score! :thumbup:

Back