Osprey K/T Work in Progress/Preview 01/23/17 - Updated 02/08/17

Here is what has transpired over the last few days here at the shop for me.

I am getting really close to being able to use this, I have been taking my time so I do it once, it's would be a hassle to have to move this thing again.
Wednesday I drilled holes in the base so I could bolt the whole thing together. It took some teamwork and Alan, and Andy were there to lend a hand.
Now that the base is secure, the next step is securing the anvil to the base.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

I have been searching around lately for some more Carbon Fiber options besides the regular weave and lightning strike. My search led me to an individual in the Netherlands who makes some really cool stuff. I reached out to him and bought a few handles worth of his material that jumped out at me. I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out on knives. If I like it I will get more. This stuff is some top shelf stuff!

Copper infused Carbon Fiber

Hosted on Fotki

He called this Zebra Carbon Fiber, but the invoice says Brass Infused Carbon Fiber. Its Cross cut

Hosted on Fotki

Blue Glow and Aqua Glow infused Carbon Fiber

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Practicing my fullers.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

These I will fuller next.

Hosted on Fotki

Here is the progress on the Fiddleback Outpost Batch. Handles are rough shaped, next up handle filing.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on FotkiHosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

Wow, everything looks stellar but that new carbon fiber :eek:

Can't wait to see how that looks finished.

I'm pretty sure I need one of every thing on blue glow carbon fiber!!! :D

Very neat carbon fiber creations! Can't wait to see them on a finished product!

Wow Man! I'm floored..and dreaming of a K-Raptor with blue glow CF! That is gorgeous stuff! Chris your knocking this batch out of the ball park!

Dang! I can't wait to see what the new carbon fiber looks like once finished. Awesome stuff Chris!!

Copper carbon fiber for the win. If it is what I think it is it will look beautiful attached to whatever you decide to put it on.

Hey Chris. Are your fullers intended purely for decorative purposes on those larger blades are did you have some other purpose in mind. Seems like, especially the right two, you'd want to keep more forward weight. Whatever the intention, they are visually appealing and I'm sure you'll make them look amazing.

Apologies for my delayed response, I was focused on completing this batch for Fiddleback Outpost and we have had some early spring cleaning and organizing at the shop in preperation to the GUild meeting this weekend. So my hand have been busy the last few days. I appreciate everyone's questions and compliments!

COPPER!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbup:

Wow, everything looks stellar but that new carbon fiber :eek:

Can't wait to see how that looks finished.

Thank you they turned out really nice!

I'm pretty sure I need one of every thing on blue glow carbon fiber!!! :D

We can make that happen :D

Very neat carbon fiber creations! Can't wait to see them on a finished product!

It is some really cool stuff, I am excited to work with it and see how it turns out!

Wow Man! I'm floored..and dreaming of a K-Raptor with blue glow CF! That is gorgeous stuff! Chris your knocking this batch out of the ball park!

Thank you Douglas, I like the glow CF myself. I only got a small amount this time around to see if I like it as well as all of you. If it works out I will definitely get more.

Dang! I can't wait to see what the new carbon fiber looks like once finished. Awesome stuff Chris!!

Thanks Odaon!

Oooooo .. tritium pins :)

Tritium pins? What is this you speak of?

Just amazing stuff Chris [emoji106]

Thanks Abe!

Copper carbon fiber for the win. If it is what I think it is it will look beautiful attached to whatever you decide to put it on.

I like the copper infused carbon fiber alot. I think it is going to look pretty wicked once it is contoured!

I think the copper carbon fiber will be a hit. ;)

I hope so, I have a feeling it will be!

my wife spotted a matt bailey in the 1st set of pics

Your wife has a good eye, I bought this folder from him awhile back. I carry it around often, and it's nicely made at its price point.

Hey Chris. Are your fullers intended purely for decorative purposes on those larger blades are did you have some other purpose in mind. Seems like, especially the right two, you'd want to keep more forward weight. Whatever the intention, they are visually appealing and I'm sure you'll make them look amazing.

Danny,

The fullers do have an aesthetic quality to them, but more importantly it lightens and balances the blade as well and added strength. The idea is, (if my hunch is correct) the previous ones being considerably thinner steel 3/16" , these being thicker over 1/4" thick, would give me a blade around the same weight with more steel mass towards the tip than before where the fuller would feather out. It's all about moving the center of gravity around, I understand it but can't explain it and do a better job of showing you than explaining it to you.

I hope I answered you question a little, and maybe after I execute it, I can explain it better but at this point it's still an partially abstract idea in my head.

Fiddleback Outpost batch is complete!!
Robert came by and picked them up this afternoon, we had lunch, shoot the shit and discussed future goals between Fiddleback Outpost and Osprey K/T.

Friday evening, I took a trip to Atlanta and meet with Mark Hopper of Goat & Hammer. I had been in communication with him about refining and improving my forging technique in anticipation of forging blades again. I should have snapped a few pictures but I was more focused on the conversation and listening to his instruction next time I will . We only had about an hour but he agreed to take me on as a student and help teach me formal blacksmithing. I told him that I had prior experience forging but just knives, and that I wanted to learn to forge period, not just knives. He gave me some homework and a drill you could say to refine my hammer placement and hone my muscle memory. I forged what he called square points looks easier than it is to do cleanly and symmetrical then make a hot cut and repeat. I shared a picture below of the 2 I forged while I was there. I plan on forging quite a few more of these just to get the practice in.

Here are some pictures of the knives headed to Fiddleback Outpost, there are some especially exquisite ones in this batch, I look forward to seeing their p
hotographs here in a few days. In the meantime I managed to snap a few pictures for you guys to drool over until the sales photos pop up.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

The points I forged, it doesn't look like much but it's the start to something a whole lot bigger and cooler.

1st one on the Left second one on the Right

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

I plan on diving into my next batch tomorrow in preparation of my next sales thread. I will start a new preview thread for that batch Later this week.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Wow what a cool thing to see your initial forge work. And those blades we'll be seeing on fiddleback outpost are already tempting me but I'm holding fast and will wait until your batch is finished and posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fullers are cool and all, plus thank you for the info, but my interest is really peaked with the forging. I'll be following that progress closely.

That is a superb batch heading the the FB Outpost

Tritium pins? What is this you speak of?

Well, it looks like the glow carbon fiber just glows on the spine parts and not the sides of the handles. I was somewhat joking about tritium pins because you'd probably hose em up when you either pounded them in or sanded on their ends. But the idea is still there ... glowing pins so there is something on the side that glows. Maybe make pins out of some type of light activated glowing material??

With regard to tritium, that's what is used in night sights, key fobs, etc. A few random links for reference:
http://www.mixglo.com/store/p13/T2a_2x6mm_Vials.html
https://www.amazon.com/Vials-Tritium-Self-luminous-15-Years-3x22-5mm/dp/B010EZPWSK
http://tritiumkeychains.com/

btw, I'm with Abe and think you should give up those cigarettes ;)

Thanks,
Jerry

Back